Author Topic: Excited, for Unreal engine!  (Read 315 times)

Offline Tsuna_Yoshi

• Green Level
  • Candies: 37
    • DeviantArt - SetsunaDamius
  • Fursona Species: Kobold
Excited, for Unreal engine!
« on: February 17, 2016, 09:44:38 pm »
 I just downloaded unreal engine! I'm not going to touch it just yet, (busy at school and stuff!) But, if anyone's ever used it (After all it's kinda 'free'), any tips for a complete newbie, that wants to make a 2D game?
  • Pronouns: him, he, his.
Taking requests, send PM if interested.

Offline TodTheFox

• Licensed Lazy Loiterer
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 49
  • Fursona Species: Red Fox
Re: Excited, for Unreal engine!
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 04:44:58 pm »
Last I checked the Unreal engine was pretty far from a good starting point in Game Development (assuming you're just starting out). I admit that was a long time ago but I personally recommend the Unity engine over Unreal as I feel it's much more User-Friendly especially to new Developers. While both Engines are really massive and intended for Industry proffesionals I find that Unity's support for Javascript (A fairly easy programming language to get started with and learn quickly) and intuitive interface makes it a much more appealing option for new Developers. Not to mention the expansive Unity asset store which can provide you with the game assets you need to push forward your practice projects and the great expanse of Tutorials available which teach usage of Unity for young Developers looking to get a start in the industry (several of which are actually created by the Unity Team).

But again I don't know a lot about Unreal so this really comes down to personal preference however if you are struggling with Unreal be sure to consider switching to Unity. I wish you the best of luck in your journey through Game Development.

~Tod
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His

Offline Tsuna_Yoshi

• Green Level
  • Candies: 37
    • DeviantArt - SetsunaDamius
  • Fursona Species: Kobold
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 05:58:05 pm »
Thanks for the tip :3

Although I can't afford unity ;-;. Unreal might be a little easier because they have something where you can make games without the code. Something that was called Blueprinting or something? I dunno I've been still too buys coming up with a game idea to actually look at it.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 06:03:15 pm by ExoVenture »
  • Pronouns: him, he, his.
Taking requests, send PM if interested.

Offline TodTheFox

• Licensed Lazy Loiterer
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 49
  • Fursona Species: Red Fox
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2016, 01:07:10 pm »
Thanks for the tip :3

Although I can't afford unity. Unreal might be a little easier because they have something where you can make games without the code. Something that was called Blueprinting or something? I dunno I've been still too buys coming up with a game idea to actually look at it.

I just checked to verify and by the looks, Unity still has a personal(Indie Developer) version which is free for download though some features have of course been disabled in the free version.

https://unity3d.com/get-unity

I don't how far you can get with Game Development without a programmer or learning to code yourself. I do believe there are some fairly limited engines out there that can be used to make games with little programming but their fairly basic and lack the functionality of Unity and Unreal. I know Unity has something of a Virtual scripting app I once found in the Asset store but to really make full use of it you'd still have to know the basics of programming.

If you really want to push some Game projects forward without enlisting the help of a programmer learning to code yourself is more or less essential. Where games can be developed without Artists, Designers, and such it can't really be developed with a programmer on the team or least someone with basic knowledge of the fundamentals of code. Like I said, systems exist that try to ease the programming aspect or abstract it out entirely but the more they try to abstract out programming the more in more limited they seem to be (not to mention un-optimized from what I've seen).

I've never looked into Unreal's blueprint system (or even heard of it before know) so I won't discourage you from pursuing that if you wish. However as I am (again) inherently biased towards Unity, if Unreal doesn't work out switch to the free version of Unity and try and learn some basic Javascript for Unity programming. Javascript is, in my opinion, a very easy language to learn but don't try to learn it with Unity games as Unity has a massive industry grade API which can be a headache for any new programmer. (At least, don't try to learn to code with Unity without external guidance from a structured course like those on https://www.udemy.com/ or elsewheres on the web.

Instead, I recommend learning Javascript from a site like https://www.codecademy.com/. Though Codeacademy isn't the only place to learn Javascript, they're actually a large number of sites I have found or been shown which teach the language. For a full(ish) list see The Big 'ol list of Programming Resources: http://www.furryteens.org/forum/index.php?topic=21183.0
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His