Author Topic: Zootopia - review  (Read 2758 times)

Offline Kambo

• Personally knew Abe Lincoln
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 85
  • True story.
    • DeviantArt - kamboblack
    • FurAffinity - harlan
    • Twitter - kamboblack
    • Weasyl - harlan
    • Unfinished Portfolio Site :(
  • Fursona Species: Grey fox
Zootopia - review
« on: March 06, 2016, 12:06:37 am »
Because this somehow isn't a thread yet. Unless this goes in General Discussion, with the general Zootopia topic.

Just saw Zootopia earlier today. Fun movie, glad I watched it. This probably sums up my position on it:

When going to see it, there was a TON of hype. Hype everywhere, like Frozen all over again, but without the people who didn't like it. So I went in with my expectations way high, and I think that's why I wasn't really impressed. I want in expecting much more of a "classic" feel to it, but that feel wasn't there.

Not that it was a bad movie at all! The animation was interesting and lively, the writing clever and up-beat, and the premise original and thought out. Goodwin and Bateman did great jobs and fit the characters really well. All the supporting roles were great performances as well, though I feel like a supporting actor or two may have been miscast a bit.

So what did you think?
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His
Feel free to PM me, I don't bite! I reserve that treatment for sushi and pretzels.

Fursona References (Kambo and Camille)

Offline Halus

• Green Level
  • Candies: 77
  • No step on snek
Re: Zootopia - review
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 12:12:14 am »
Tbh I don't really like Disney...(sorry all but I don't) so I went there expecting to just be another Disney movie that all end the same. It didn't it was different. For once in my life Disney changed something. My complete favorite part was with mr. Big. I couldn't stop laughing on that part.
  • Flag - usa
  • Pride Flag - androgynous
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: It/its they/them/their whatevs

Online Mystic

• Candy Witch
  • Administrator
  • Candies: 817
  • I'll cast a spell on you
    • FurAffinity - MysticSolstice
    • Twitter - MysticSolstice
  • Fursona Species: Cow
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2016, 08:52:22 am »
I'd give it a 9.5/10

The only hype I saw was in the fandom itself, purely because it was an anthro movie. I didn't see any of my Disney friends get excited for it so I went in with pretty low expectations. It didn't feel like an Walt Disney Animation Studios movie based off the commercials. They marketed it purely off the fact that it was an "animal city" which is why I didn't think it'd be great. Thank god they had an actual plot line and meaning that was good and not just about the animals. I don't want to say any spoilers but the meaning was so cute and great <3 it was also a very original concept which I didn't think was going to be possible as there's been a ton of cartoon animals living together movies done before. I can't put my finger on it but something was missing, I didn't walk out of the theater feeling like it was an animation studios film despite it hitting all the bases which is why I took off a half point

I'm also in love with the cheetah <3 <3 he's my favourite and I can't wait to get a plush of him

Overall it was a great movie and I do recommend seeing it!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 11:47:56 am by Benjamin Calwhauser »
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Flag - canada
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
  • Award - Graphic Artist

| ToyHou.se | ThisCrush | Q&A |
Icon by CupcakeCreature | Signature by SpazzCraft

Offline Shia

• Disco Manokits
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 261
  • *noms a moonpie*
    • DeviantArt - discomanokit
    • FurAffinity - discomanokit
    • Twitter - discomanokit
  • Fursona Species: Manokit
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 09:12:23 am »
I really enjoyed Zootopia, I'd give it a 10/10. I'll add in an explanation later ^^

I especially like the message behind it, and especially the train scene when Judy travels to Zootopia. I love the way they make each section of the world uniquely different and to match their species. Also, the story was just really great.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 12:13:07 pm by Judy Hopps »
  • Flag - usa
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Pronouns: she/her/hers

Offline Spoopy ★ Panda

• Not a duck!
  • Administrator
  • Candies: 586
  • :*・°☆.。.:*・°☆.。
    • DeviantArt - cocoapanda
    • FurAffinity - cocoapanda
  • Fursona Species: Platypus
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2016, 11:41:58 am »
Really really good, I'm not a huge follower of Disney myself but I was so hyped to see this movie (even without the obvious bias). I think the main thing was the character design--every character was uniquely written, and they did an amazing job with meshing the human and animal characteristics. It was the little touches (the multiple sizes of doors in the monorail, hamster tubes in the cities, etc.) that made it feel complete to me. Everyone has their own favorite character, for different reasons, and to me that means a movie was successful.

And, of course, the message behind it. Its kinda hard to not be spoiled about that (I usually cry over movies & I think I didn't this time because I already knew what was coming), but either way its very inspirational and solid. It addressed EVERYone, both "sides", and that's something not many films do.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pronouns: They/them
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Offline flurrin

• Purple Level
  • Candies: 128
  • sushi dog
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2016, 11:53:06 am »
I felt it was like a furry version of society with Judy Hopps having a utopian vision of society yet it is well changed.
The predators vs prey was like the dominant group over the minority (which was actually bigger in size). The minority goes against this dominant group. Yet in the end they all seem to get along despite all the troubles and discrimination. It shows how groups of people form against others.
  • Flag - britain
  • Award - Holiday Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - androgynous
  • Pronouns: any
profile pic by ShopePapilloma

Offline Alastair

• You're here today, no future fears...
  • Candies: 153
  • ...this day will last a thousand years.
  • Fursona Species: Dragon
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2016, 12:32:17 pm »
I think Zootopia was a wonderful movie, and like everyone has already said, it had some great messages in it. I haven't really seen any comments on this, but I think they did a great job with the name of the movie/city (Zootopia, which is basically utopia with a z). It kind of drove home the point that the real world isn't going to be some sort of perfect utopia where anyone can just snap their fingers and their dreams will come true -- you're going to run into obstacles and fail along the way. The characters were great too. I loved the character designs, the character development, and how every character contributed to the story (even the comic relief characters). I don't think there was a character I didn't like.
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt gold

Avatar by cutefury on Art Fight.Signature image by Nagi.

Offline Lacmorash

• Regenerating Codes
  • Yellow Level
  • Candies: 31
  • [Roconstructing]
  • Fursona Species: Internet K-9
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2016, 09:23:43 pm »
I should start with this

Too much predictable plot twist (or it's just me who can predict every plot?). Anyway, i loved how the creator gave some picture about social problem nowadays.

In the middle of movie, either it from the movie or my cinema quality, i can see exactly nothing(the chasing part that soo dark). And the movie seems not for kids, the plot is hard to be known.
B, C, D
Between born and death, there's life, which full of choices.

Do it faster, make it better.

Offline RickyMcGee

• Slick as Frick Rick
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 61
  • Pic by Businessfox on FA
    • FurAffinity - Alexzandr
  • Fursona Species: Wolf
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2016, 10:53:22 pm »
I personally found Zootopia a great movie. 9.5/10. I saw the 99% on rotten tomatoes, and that was the final thing to make me see it. I will admit, it seemed like a kids movie (the entire crowd around me was kids) but a lot of it didn't resonate as "kids" to me. There were a few moments that were defiantly for kids, the main message was totally one of these. I loved a lot of the scenes and the jokes were a great part as well. Holy cow was the looks of the movie just absolutely beautiful, the colors, the textures, and the scenes were just great. The plot was not what I was expecting at all, it also had me guessing the plot line and sent me mixed signals. I thought this one was going to happen, then another, but it had me change what I thought was going to happen all the time. It also had me thinking that the movie was going to end at one point, but it kept going (love when movies do this). A couple things that I knocked off .5 of a point was the fairly predictable scenes at the end. Only two, but it still irked at me a little. Another thing was the whole Gazelle thing, yeah I get it, famous singer in the movie, woop woop. But the fact that her character was more than that made me a little upset. You were supposed to sing the OST and thats all I wanted, they did make a good joke about her character's fame every now and then, which made up for it a little.
Just like a burn will linger, she crept between my fingers, and to my body she has now become a new disease. A fog to cloud vision, more like an apparition. She made a mess and now abandoned me.
Twitter Youtube Crush thing? Deviantart

Offline Dyno Fluff

• Will you be loving me forever...
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 78
  • ... Or will you be loving me just tonight?
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2016, 01:51:05 pm »
It inspired me as a furry. It's just so sad that many people won't even give this movie a chance because it's 'for kids', or is 'a furry movie'. I feel that everybody could learn from a movie like zootopia, or at least have a strong reminder on things like descrimination.
♪ How do I say goodbye to what we had? The good times that made us laugh, outweigh the bad. I thought we'd get to see forever, but forever's gone away. It's so hard to say goodbye to yesterday♪
The Chaotix animated by AndrewHDz

Offline Shia

• Disco Manokits
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 261
  • *noms a moonpie*
    • DeviantArt - discomanokit
    • FurAffinity - discomanokit
    • Twitter - discomanokit
  • Fursona Species: Manokit
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2016, 07:21:14 pm »
It inspired me as a furry. It's just so sad that many people won't even give this movie a chance because it's 'for kids', or is 'a furry movie'. I feel that everybody could learn from a movie like zootopia, or at least have a strong reminder on things like descrimination.

One of my friends wouldn't see Zootopia because the other Disney movies were a disappointment to them. It's kind of sad how they're missing out on so much.
  • Flag - usa
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Pronouns: she/her/hers

Offline WolfyHasPie

• Red Level
  • Candies: 2
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2016, 05:02:00 pm »
Great movie

Offline JouleTheFox

• Red Level
  • Candies: 5
  • Once a furry always a furry
    • DeviantArt - rainbowdash24191997
    • FurAffinity - shadowthefox2419
  • Fursona Species: Fox
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2016, 09:42:27 am »
I really enjoyed the movie. The hype for it was way to much. I watched with high expectations. Honestly I think it's like most disney movies but I loved none less
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His/She/Her/Hers
pm me or add me on any of my social sites linked with this site. Always glad to meet new people.

Offline Sekuto

• The Salty Dragill
  • Red Level
  • Candies: 2
  • All The Things
  • Fursona Species: Dragill (a land dwelling species of dragon that descended from the sea serpent)
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2016, 10:44:05 am »
      It was good, not great or anything but good. I thought it was a bit weird how the introduced the "savage stuff" at the very end (did that to avoid spoiling it) but seriously if you don't know much about writing it is pretty much an unspoken rule that adding new elements at the end of your story usually ends up badly. Other than that it was good. (especially the part where they actually put the earbuds in the ears)
  • Pronouns: Him/His/He
Reality is a perspective of the mind, the mind is a perspective of your consciousness , you consciousness is a perspective of your soul, if your perspective is to serious you will never see all of the color in the world.

Offline Teal

• Orange Level
  • Candies: 3
  • Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
    • FurAffinity - lupus99
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2016, 01:50:18 pm »
For some reason its called Zootropolis in the UK (no idea why). Pretty good for a Disney movie actually. Expected cheese and got cheese but hey it's a kids film. The plot was good too, lots of twists that weren't that expected. Also some few good jokes for older people (Breaking Bad lab etc.) Some good messages in there too like anti-discrimination/anti-bullying/never giving up/being who you want to be etc.

Good film would rate it 7/10
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 01:51:59 pm by lupus99 »
  • Pride Flag - bisexual

Offline Ember the Dragon

• MLP Dragon
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 66
  • Pony lover
    • DeviantArt - DuskeyFox
    • FurAffinity - DuskCyote
    • Twitter - @Rainbow_Dusk
  • Fursona Species: Dragon
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2016, 09:09:32 pm »
bestest movie ever 100/10
  • Pronouns: He/him/his

Offline Dyno Fluff

• Will you be loving me forever...
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 78
  • ... Or will you be loving me just tonight?
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2016, 10:32:13 pm »
Actually come to think of it, zootopia seems to try and promote acceptance, but it's like there's almost a stigma around interspecies intimate relationships.
♪ How do I say goodbye to what we had? The good times that made us laugh, outweigh the bad. I thought we'd get to see forever, but forever's gone away. It's so hard to say goodbye to yesterday♪
The Chaotix animated by AndrewHDz

Offline Teal

• Orange Level
  • Candies: 3
  • Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
    • FurAffinity - lupus99
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2016, 05:04:09 am »
there's almost a stigma around interspecies intimate relationships.

Yeah, the great thing about this film is they left it open to loads of development which hopefully we will get to see if they make a sequel.
  • Pride Flag - bisexual

Offline mistpaw

• if I told you what I was, would you turn your back on me?
  • Red Level
  • Candies: 5
  • we were never welcome here at all.
  • Fursona Species: grey fox
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2016, 10:38:36 am »
I saw the movie a few days ago, it is my new favorite movie. I intended to see it in theaters but I didn't. I did catch three rabbit jokes in the movie: first was the part where Judy's dad said something about her 427 brothers and sisters, when she was on the train to zootopia and went past the sign for her town and the population was rapidly rising, and the obvious one where she said "I may just be a dumb bunny, but we are good at multiplying." I also caught the breaking bad joke. "hold on a minute, Jesse and Walter are here." I don't even watch breaking bad. overall a good movie 10/10.
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
just found this 0_0 ----> http://names.whitepages.com/first/Sapheran <----

no idea who that is.                Avatar by the amazing Flora!

Offline ZuzuFox

• Gay the Pray Away!
  • Orange Level
  • Candies: 22
  • Sub to me on iFunny! "ZuzuFox"
    • My Official Youtube!
  • Fursona Species: Fox Dog Wolf Hybrid
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2016, 11:13:01 am »
I shall give it a 9.9/10! I loved it, and, fun fact, It was purposely targeted to furries.  :lol-fox:
  • Flag - mexico
  • Pride Flag - gay