Author Topic: Fire Emblem Fates; Conquest review  (Read 489 times)

Offline Zaria

• A lazy lynx
  • Red Level
  • Cookies: 2
  • Just gathering my thoughts
  • Fursona Species: Lynx
Fire Emblem Fates; Conquest review
« on: March 20, 2016, 10:56:30 am »
There will be some spoilers about the plot details, so just be wary of that

So it has been around a month since Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright and Conquest came out, and I thought I should share my thoughts on Conquest specifically (because I don't have Birthright yet.)

Just as a bit of backstory and such, the game was shown in a Nintendo direct in January of last year and was released in Japan around the month of June. The game was split into three separate versions; Birthright, Conquest and the DLC-only third path, Revelation. The fact that it was split into three different games that you had to purchase separately saddened me and my wallet.

Despite this, all three games are completely different gameplay wise, after chapter 6 that is. Birthright was aimed towards people who loved Awakening-styled gameplay, Conquest was aimed towards the audience who loved the old gameplay that the old FE's brought and Revelation was aimed towards people like me who want to see everyone happy both audiences... sort of. I wont go too much into detail with that. Anyways, on with the review.

Gameplay
The game follows a character that you can create, with the default name Corrin. Your main character can choose their appearance, name, secondary class and stat modifiers (Boon/Bane as they call it, where you choose one stat to boost and one stat to lower.)

In the first 6 chapters of the game, it shows you the Nohrian side and the Hoshidan side. The first three chapters is revolved around Nohr and chapters 4&5 is with Hoshido, and chapter 6 is where you choose which side to pick. I choose Conquest(Nohr) for gameplay reasons, and not specifically the plot... which I'll get into later.

Conquest forces you to use your mind on a lot of the chapters, especially chapter 10. To me, this made completing each chapter a satisfying result from your strategies. The game split the pair up mechanic from Awakening into two stances; Attack and Guard. Attack stance allows you to preform an extra attack if a unit is placed besides another unit, and guard pairs up two units together and gives them stat bonuses, but doesn't allow the bonus attack. Also, with the Guard stance there is a gauge that fills up when receiving or giving damage, and once full it blocks one enemy attack.

On this route, there's limited gold and EXP (Unless you bought their respective DLC) which forces you to make use of your weapons and stick to a small group of units. Gold shouldn't be a problem, the only thing I really bought were staves. Weapons have infinite durability unlike staves, so I just let the units hold onto their old weapons just until the endgame.

Like in the previous installment, Awakening, Conquest has the same format of supports. Most males can support most females and vice versa. Then when those two units achieve an S-Rank support they make a child. The game's explanation of how second generation units work makes no sense to me, and I feel that they're just kind of shoved into the game just to please people who liked the mechanic in Awakening. Despite making no sense whatsoever, children are now linked to the male units and not the females. The child is composed of both their stat modifiers, and gets the two base classes. I really enjoy this aspect, as it allows for a different gameplay experience each playthrough.

I was really displeased with how the supports were dealt with in here. Maybe it was how quiet they felt. Maybe it was because I noticed a few grammar errors here and there. Or maybe it was because a handful of support conversations dealt with training and... food. There were a few nice ones here and there (I liked the support conversation between Xander and Charlotte a lot.) but most of them I didn't really care about. And then we have the S-Rank conversations... *sigh* most of them felt forced, and I mean forced. The transition from A to S rank is just odd, and it was just weird to me.

The music in this game is amazing. I much prefer the OST of Fates compared to Awakening. I especially like the tracks ("You of the light") and ("Justice RIP") It really motivates you during maps where you're faced with a challenge, and I like that the music becomes more intense when you or the enemy unit initiates a battle.

Plot; here's another spoiler warning

Chapter 1-5 (Before the choice)

The game opens up with a dream-like sequence (and with some calming background music too) where you are with your true siblings-- the Hoshidan family. Your older sister, Hinoka, tells your pineapple shaped hair brother,Takumi, to clear an enemy off. After doing this, you then proceed to watch as your older step sibling, Xander, conflict with your real brother, Ryoma. After that, the dream sequence ends, and Corrin wakes up surrounded by his Butlers and Maids.

The dream sequence was a nice way to incorporate the tutorial with some of the story, and I liked it. Chapter 1-3 involves you and your siblings following your Fathers orders, and here's a sum up of how things in Nohr work: You got your nice step siblings Leo, Elise, the overly protective Camilla and Xander, and then you got GanonGaron, the father who is clearly evil. Garon tells you all to do evilish things and you and the siblings do them. And Corrin is too much of a wimp to actually protest or something, but then again Garon could probably execute him within the hour. Also, in chapter 1 Garon gives Corrin a sword. A really sketchy sword. Like, I mean, a cartoonishly sketchy sword glowing with a purple aura kind of sketchy.

Then, you end up in Hoshido after orders from Garon, where you meet your true siblings. Nothing really happens in chapter 4, other than the siblings saying that they missed you so much, except for the pineapple shaped hair Takumi. I know that they had to make some reasons for you to side with Nohr, but still. You don't need to make one of your siblings a thorn in you (hehehe) in the beginning of the game.

Chapter 5, everything happens. Your mother is killed infront of you as consequence of the sword you recieved from Garon, as it's revealed to have been a tool to strike Hoshido. You then turn into a dragon. After you complete the chapter, the princess Azura calms your dragon form down and gives you a dragonstone to prevent you from rampaging again.

Chapter 6-Endgame

The Hosidan siblings catch wind of a Nohrian attack, and quickly head towards that area. There, Corrin finds his Nohrian siblings and is then conflicted whether or not to stay with Hoshido, or go with Nohr. Choosing Nohr causes the Hoshidan siblings grief, and you are forced to defeat (they dont die) 4 of the 5 enemies. After you finish, you leave with your Nohrian siblings and Azura says they'll meet again.

Now I get to talk about Conquests plot. It's very... unrewarding, to say the least. Corrin questions whether or not choosing Nohr was the right path constantly, even after Azura comforts him. This annoyed me, as I understand that he was conflicted of his choice, but he keeps on saying "Was this truly the right choice?" even after multiple characters prove to him that it was the "right" choice.

Most of the chapters are you following Garon's orders and him with his associates (Iago and Hans) trying to destroy you. And Corrin barely notices. The thing that confuses me the most is why everyone is so loyal to Garon, even after knowing he's a terrible person. Oh weeeell.

^This is basically what happens in most of the chapters, aside from the occasional confrontation with your Hoshidan siblings.

Then we have chapter 27-Endgame, where the Nohrian siblings are finally somewhat convinced that father isn't who he is by Corrin and Azura. And the worst part is, even after Garon being corrupted and revealed to be a true monster, most of the Nohrian siblings wont fight him. I don't get this-- at all. I get that Garon was their father, but the monster wasn't their father at all. And yet they still refuse to fight until they're convinced by Xander to fight him, as he is no longer their father. Great.

This segment wouldn't be so bad if Garon wasn't a stereotypical one-dimensional villain. I get that Xander says he was "a nice man" prior to the war, but we have no evidence or anything to really see that. It's sad, really.

After defeating him, the throne appears to be cleared of a tyrant until... plottwist? Takumi's the final boss...? That's--uh, nice, I guess. After being possesed in chapter 23, Takumi now wants to kill you. Yaaaaaay. But since it isn't actually Takumi, just a corpse with a possesion, you have no regrets in defeating it! I don't understand why they made this the Endgame, but that's fine I guess. It had a cool background music to go with it as well (End of all; Land)

To summarize the plot: You're pretty much following whatever Garon says along with your siblings even if it's the worst things ever until the endgame where you don't feel like a bad person anymore.

Final thoughts, the "fate" (badum tshhh) of this game

While I feel that the game definitely suffers with an aggravating plotline, it makes up for it with its diverse gameplay and objectives. I also liked the online play that was used in the game, and I forgot to talk about that. Shoot. Well anyways, I'd give this game a 7.5/10,  and I'd recommend this game if you can look post all of the "Fathurr isn't evilll!" and "Go beat up sum Hoshidans pls."

Sorry if I missed out on certain details!...and please don't kill me because of my glorious pun.
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His

Offline Gamerz33k

• Just a gamer for fun
  • Cookies: 2
  • Sup
    • DeviantArt - None
    • LiveJournal - None
    • Twitter - gamerz33k
    • Weasyl - None
    • None
  • Fursona Species: Dragon
Re: Fire Emblem Fates; Conquest review
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 02:13:39 am »
I actually really enjoy the game for me it would a 9/10,good soundtrack,good story,good art,good animation,ect.
  • Pronouns: He/Him,/His

Offline KaiTuyt

• Level 26 Detective
  • Red Level
  • Cookies: 1
  • I forgot how to do it. Again.
  • Fursona Species: Kitsune
Re: Fire Emblem Fates; Conquest review
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 09:29:13 pm »
Yeah I have to agree, it was pretty good. The storyline was kinda dark, but things worked out in the end (I guess?).
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His
You are the ocean's grey waves
Destined to seek life beyond the shore, just out of reach
Yet the waters ever change, flowing like time
The path is yours to climb