Author Topic: Music Analysis Thread  (Read 417 times)

Offline Gaz

• The Mobile
  • Candies: 287
  • FT's Unofficial Disc Jockey
    • Twitter - @GlitterLiquor
    • Song I listen to far too much
Music Analysis Thread
« on: March 26, 2016, 01:54:51 am »
Hello and welcome to the Music Analysis Thread!
In this thread we will have in depth reviews of any material that is musically oriented.

Let's lay down a few rules before we begin
  • Do not post anything that is not an actual song
  • Make your analysis at least two paragraphs in length
  • Respect each others musical interests

Well now that you have been introduced to the thread let's get started! I shall start by posting a song that will in turn be reviewed by one of you.

• Pride Flag - pansexual
Feel free to contact me with questions, concerns,
or if you just want to talk.

Offline Ecilam Nellus

• Green Level
  • Candies: 41
  • I'm a weirdo who does nothing but play with socks.
    • DeviantArt - Two-Weirdos
  • Fursona Species: Arctic fox
Re: Music Analysis Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 02:10:05 am »
I am exceptionally happy that this was made, I can't help feeling like I am partly responsible for doing so due to me being a bit.. Long winded in my critques, and you know what? This has been a long time coming!

So?
Shall we kick this off with a bang with a song that had some rather interesting imagery to it? I think so!
So, when you give a song the title "He is" the first thing you think is "Well who is he?" And this song doesn't exactly give it away, but I enjoy the almost playful attitude at how it drops the hints. The overall tone of the song almost seems like a reverent gospel! Like a song that would be sung at a church and it fits the narratives of a couple who were tricked into making a deal with the devil (At least that's what I got from it) they make reference to some old face referring to this "he" as shining and the like, and if you go back to the old Latin, you will find out that Lucifer translated means "Bringer of the light" It's just that kind of careful wording that only helps to boost the feeling of "Yeah! This he guy is pretty cool! I mean light is good right?" It almost seems like a kind of brain washing video you would see at a satanist's recruitment centre, but they are like the softest satanists you have ever seen. Like not the kind of satanists who actively kill animals in ritualistic sacrifice and worship every night. More like part time satanists, who have very poop jobs. they can't quite afford all the nifty satan stuff, so they just make catchy tunes talking about how the devil is this "Super cool dude!" But try not to say the devil because well.. We don't like to use the D word here.. As they would say.

The complexity of sound is rather good too! I only helps to reinforce the overall feeling of well, being safe!you're meant to be safe and feel like you belong with this "he".
I like this song for the weirdest reasons? It's quite odd, an odd little tune about satan.
Though this may be linked to it being 3AM and me needing sleep.
I gotta give it a solid 9 out of 10.
You never cease to impress me Gaz

Hm..
Lets keep with the narrative songs, but try something new
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJT3b4urwcU
I'm boring and not boring at the same time, kind of like a sock with googly eyes on it.

Offline Dyno Fluff

• Will you be loving me forever...
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 78
  • ... Or will you be loving me just tonight?
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2016, 02:22:42 am »
I'm not one to judge music taste, but if I was, I would say that you have good taste in music. I wasn't sure what to expect going in, but I was pleasantly surprised. This song is very nice, and had a nice rhythm to it as well. The beat was solid, as well as the melody, but they were still able to through in almost a mysterious vibe into the song despite that. With that said though, it seemed repetitive even though it wasn't. I didn't mind that though, because what was repeating sounded pretty nice. This doesn't really have to do with the song, but the background was nice to look at as well.

Now, I wasn't sure what they were depicting in their song, but it is my belief that they were talking about some sort of god figure that they identify as 'he'. Well, that was only one of the titles that he was given in the song. There was also: The beast with many names, The shining and the light without whom I cannot see... Actually now that I think about it, the whole song is about identifying this man. Maybe that's why it's called, 'He Is'. Man, that was a weak analysis. There was a very nice harmony going on through out the song which was also pleasing to hear, as well as the guitar part.
(I'm not exactly sure what you are looking for in an analysis, but this was pretty much all I have to offer about this song)

And now a song that anybody would enjoy!  :lol-fox: :lol-fox:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CduA0TULnow
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His
♪ How do I say goodbye to what we had? The good times that made us laugh, outweigh the bad. I thought we'd get to see forever, but forever's gone away. It's so hard to say goodbye to yesterday♪
The Chaotix animated by AndrewHDz

Offline Ecilam Nellus

• Green Level
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2016, 02:04:01 pm »
Goodness me..
Okay, I think you saying "anyone would like this" is a bit of a generalization. See I am a firm believer in that everyone's musical tastes have merit! Like, I will respect every persons taste in music as long as they do the same for me. That being said, just because I'm okay with you liking a song, doesn't mean I have to like it.
Now that I got that out of the way..
This song is outdated, I will say now back when this came out I was a bit too young to understand it. I think this was what? 2005? 2006?
Oh wow, I looked this up I was way wrong, this came out like 2000. That is way to early for me to even like it. So I shall judge it with the mindset I have of early 2000's music and that is that.. Well, it's not all good, some of it is great, I mean in fact there is a lot of it I do like. But that being said is this a song that is good? I can say yes, but the real question here is that is this a song that I personally like? No not really.. See I think it may have been just that I am not a huge pop fan, I have only just started to really get into Pop and once you get into modern Pop music (and by that I mean the good stuff) You get used to a certain level of quality, in the instrumentals (If there are any and if not than the beats and samples), the vocals, a certain level of glossy production.
Heck, it's almost a staple at this point for Pop music of any kind to be super high quality in it's production if it's a big mainstream thing, so when you go back to the early 2000's you can see some weird stuff. It's weird because that was when they did a lot of experimenting with synth sounds, and just straight up weird editing!
Oops I did it again is an example of this oddity in trying out new things, with a rather interesting approach to it. See at the time to my knowledge a lot of Pop Stars of the blonde hair and innocent looking persuasion were trying to distance themselves from this fact because they wanted to try new music, in all honesty it's kind of an odd parallel to see this video and song. Because this was Britney Spears coming out and LITERALLY saying she isn't that innocent, and that's about it? Like the outfits in the music video are skin tight yeah, but they aren't too revealing, cut to modern day world and now people like Miley Cyrus are doing the same thing, but it's a bit blown to a whole new level.
Kind of odd how the music has changed but the way it is made and the people who make it haven't all the much (Well.. At least in the Pop Star aspect of it)

So on to the song itself, after seeing it a second time to get a good feel for it I have to say it holds up okay. Like in terms of song quality for the time it must have been rather amazing considering they sample Britney's own voice to make up I think like 60% of the chorus and background music. Which is kind of cool, like how Smooth Mcgroove or the Beardyman make their music. Except with only their voices and nothing else.
The lyrics are simplistic which is normal for the time, but it is supposed to be an ear worm to drill into your brain and tell you Britney is no longer a nice girl!
The video REEKS of the early 2000's mainly because for some reason pop music back then thought that they should have a lot of music videos in space? Which.. When I think about it is freaking weird..
Oh I get it because they are Pop STARS.. Wow I only just realised that? Though it may just be a coincidence. Now, on to my more important points instead of generalizing, see I don't like this song. It's an ear worm, it is too simple, sure the production is rather good, but to me it's just one of those songs that is an important moment in Pop music history (Because after this I think most blonde haired super innocent pop stars decided to go the edgy route) but to me it's just a bland-ish pop song with great production. Though if this kind of song was put out today I feel like it would get one of two reactions 1) "This isn't good at all! It's so boring and trying to hard to be edgy." When in all honesty for the time, this was edgy or 2) "This is amazing! It sounds so good!" Because the background music to it once again is catchy as all hell.

This is an odd beast for me to rate, because on a personal level I don't like it, but on a technical and unbiased level I think it's good.
So I'll give it two ratings if that's okay with you? If it's not just go with my personal rating.
So my personal rating is probably something along the lines of a 3 out of 10
But the quality of the song by today's standards would probably be like a 7 or and 8 out of 10.

I would suggest if you post again here to try and find something with a little more lyrical content that people can dig into rather than talking about the era it was in, sure it was fun! But well.. I could like discussing lyrics more.
Also in this thread I don't think I am allowed to make a rule, but I would prefer it if someone took the time to write out a HUGE post for the song above them, and you finish your review for the same song, keep your review for the first song, but also write one for the one that was posted so as not to make people feel like they were skipped
That being said I have no hard feelings towards you!

So?
When we talk about lyrical content I have to Bring up Kendrick and a rather interesting song he did.
I'm a fan of stories and narratives in raps and songs, and this one has one heck of a narrative if you can follow it
(Also, I had to laugh a bit when you reviewed the song "He is" Because it kind of proved my message about it being an up beat song to convince people Satan is an alright guy haha! but it's okay homie! Not everyone is up to date on their Latin translations of biblical figures, so don't ever think for a minute your opinions aren't valid! All songs have a subjective meaning to the listener, when you listen to it you get the meaning you feel is right! So yeah. What you post here is just a more in depth critique of the songs you listen to here instead of the simple rating system on the Song Game thread. Hope that helps!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJT3b4urwcU
I'm boring and not boring at the same time, kind of like a sock with googly eyes on it.

Offline Gaz

• The Mobile
  • Candies: 287
  • FT's Unofficial Disc Jockey
    • Twitter - @GlitterLiquor
    • Song I listen to far too much
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2016, 03:55:09 pm »
Well then, let's take a crack at this shall we. I'd like to start off by saying that the song was very story driven, it had a plot along with it. From what I was able to gather he is singing about finding a homeless man asking for money, but he gives the man nothing and later in turn finds out that the homeless man was Jesus.

I believe that the song is trying to explain that being selfish and greedy will not take you to the places that you wish to be, that you need to be caring and open.
I respect the fact that Kendrick Lamar was able to be so passionate about this song and was able to produce a good story on the process of it all. I'd like to think his other works are like this as well.

Now for my personal opinion on the song. Despite not liking rap myself I did find the song to be rather good.
I believe that there was a sample of Pyramid Song in there by Radiohead as well, which may be why it was even better to me.
It also sounded pretty different from most rap I've heard, having a cool combination of Jazz/Funk? Whatever it was it was brilliant. There must be something different about the artist.
If I was to scale this I would give a 6.5/10
I'd like to believe that I would listen to it again.

I hope you enjoy this
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 11:50:33 pm by Gaz »
  • Pride Flag - pansexual
Feel free to contact me with questions, concerns,
or if you just want to talk.

Offline Ecilam Nellus

• Green Level
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2016, 02:26:26 pm »
Well, Gaz old buddy old chum o' mine.. I gotta say that was super freaking hard for me to sit through..
That song sounded to me like one of those dime a dozen screamo bands I have heard when I try to listen to a hard rock channel. Like, there was no difference between them and the other million I have heard before. Except that the lyrics to me were pretty.. Weird? Like weird in a laughable way.
I mean it's hard to sound hard core when you are screaming from the bottom of your register "I hope I make you smile!" And I thought there would be like a follow up line to that statement in order to make it valid and not just random, but I didn't hear one? Like something akin to a "I hope I make you smile, because that's the only thing I can give you." or something like that.
The drums and guitar are muddled together in a mess with the vocal over shadowing them to the point where I can't really distinguish them. No identifiable riffs, no identifiable drum beats that would help me differentiate this song from others. I think it's just me, but I can't get into screamo or any kind of song that has lyrics that are screamed/growled. I like to be able to understand what is being said, and from my perspective it just seems like the singers in all these bands have the weirdest boyband voices ever? Like they have no strength in their voice and it's high pitched to the point of it seemingly appropriate in a Christian Rock group! So in order to not be drowned out by the heavy as heck drums and guitar they have to belt out as loud as they can to match the instrumentals. But that is where they fail! You aren't supposed to overpower the instrumentals if you are the singer, the singers voice is simply another instrument that is added to the mesh of the band. If they all don't blend together well or one is more prevalent than the others than well, it's not good! It's like making a hamburger, now I don't know about you, but I am a veggie-phobic kind-o-guy, so for me it's burger, cheese, bun. So think of a band as this cheese burger, you have everything in balance to make a good meal, but if you add like forty cheese slices it then becomes a bit disgusting, you get what I'm throwin' out?
All the instruments have to work together or the song falls flat. That is why I don't like a lot of hard rock bands these days because they always focus on like, REALLY good guitar, or the singer, and don't work them all together to make it sound good!
Listen to any Dio song and you will see this kind of harmony! His voice is so powerful it could probably demolish buildings at full force, but does he ever overpower the instrumentals? Only when it is needed for the song, it isn't his go to. It matches the flow of it!
So now that I got my rant about screamo and music of that kind out of the way I should probably give this rating? and by the by, if you think I talked more about Screamo in general than the song, I was referring to the song too. Though the lyrics in it were goofy.
So I have to give it a 1.5 out of 10. It did not work for me yo.

You may have heard of these guys, but they are an example of the musical harmony I was talking about! (Though the vocals are a bit weak some times. This song doesn't have this problem)
John Paul Jones, Dave Grohl, and Josh Homme make one hell of a band heh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2zIMyjQh8s

Offline Alastair

• You're here today, no future fears...
  • Candies: 153
  • ...this day will last a thousand years.
  • Fursona Species: Dragon
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2016, 07:57:12 pm »
Well, I'll start off by saying that I'm not a fan of that kind of music. It's good for what it is, but it's not my style at all.

In the beginning, the guitar is a bit repetitive for a while with no lyrics. I have no problem with a longer intro, but it got kind of boring. Repetitiveness is good, don't get me wrong, I'm just not a fan of it when instrumental pieces of a song repeat over and over. The vocals were good, but they sounded a bit ... I don't know ... loose? Would that be the right word? It just didn't sound too melodic to me. There were some parts of the song that were better than others as far as melody is concerned, but I think a lot of it was a bit flat. It didn't really keep me engaged in that area. All that electric guitar got a little tiring after a while too. I like electric guitar, but hearing it over and over with not many other instruments is kind of ... eh. I'm also sometimes not a huge fan of when a song changes tune or tempo a few times in it -- it works sometimes, but other times it just doesn't grab me. But again, that type of music isn't my style, and I think it's good for what it is. I'm no music expert, but it sounds well done and the production sounds good.

The lyrics sound pretty cool. Not the type of lyrics that are in most songs I listen too, but I think they're well written for what they are. They kind of make you read them over a couple types to determine their meaning, and I really like that. They're creative and not too simple. They do sound a little "woe is me" though, if you know what I mean. So overall, if I'm unbiased, I think the song is good. The production sounds good, the musicians are good, the vocals sound good, and the lyrics aren't unoriginal. But it's certainly not a song I'd listen to over again. I don't like all the electric guitars, the unmelodic sound of some of it, and the general feel of it. Like I said though, that's just me.

I give it a 4.5/10.

---

Here's one of my favorite songs, I hope you'll enjoy it.
Al Stewart - Trains
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt gold

Avatar by cutefury on Art Fight.Signature image by Nagi.

Offline Ecilam Nellus

• Green Level
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2016, 08:44:30 pm »
This song is proof that I should never.. EVER make guesses about how a song will go after hearing just two minutes of it. Because my literal thought process behind this was "Huh.. I think I may have gotten too far into darker topics in music, because this is too clean, too soft and sweet." And then they brought up the imagery of concentration camps and my eyes actually widened.

So from what I have gotten from the lyrics it is on the literal translation about a boy who grew up loving trains, but when he saw what they were being used for at the time he lost his love for them, and when all the horrible things that were being done were over he rekindled his love for trains, but still feels the pain of seeing so many horribly things done with them.
On the more metaphorical or, more my personal interpretation side of things I view it as a story telling that no matter what it is, war can turn anything you love into something you hate and fear, and it will take many years to regain that kind of affection back towards what you loved.
The lyrics are simple, a little hard to make out some times due to the way the singers voice is, but all in all the lyrics I could make out were generally fine.
See this is going against my inner Me here.. See I could tell as soon as I heard the song that this is from the 70s, I am not 100% sure, but it's just the sound. That sound is of it being timeless, meaning I could see this song being released at any point past the 60s and it would be normal. Which is why I think the 70s is my favourite era of music in regards to rock. They were doing some pretty awesome and weird stuff then. Both in regards to music and hallucinogens!
Now, the production as is expected from the 70s is rather good, though simple. And not simple in a good way, blame it on my weathered ears who have heard very complex songs throughout my life, but I hear this song and think "Yeah.. And?" Because it has a very repetitious instrumental to it that served it's purpose of maintaining proper progression in the song. But it doesn't go out and do anything too great or too different. It isn't too catchy, like I just feel like if you were to put in a recognisable riff from a guitar, or possibly something of the like this song would be much better! That being said when you are dealing with a subject like the holocaust, perhaps a guitar solo isn't very.. er.. respectful.
But that being said i never really found myself really into the song? Like for some reason the song flew by like it was nothing? Which was weird. I think I may have just been bored. I'm not opposed to learning in songs, but this seemed to be the kind of song they would play at a remembrance day ceremony at a highschool.
I could not get into it for the weirdest reason? Like I don't think the song is bad, it just left such a grey note on me that I literally can't think of much else to say other than.. I just didn't care for it
a 3 out of 10 is all I can afford!

Okay I posted this one on the song game recently, but I think some of you rather interesting people may leave more interesting critiques than what I got!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSbZidsgMfw
(Mild warning. A bug may or may not have been harmed in the making of this)