Author Topic: Does Anyone Want to Help Create A Furry Themed Game  (Read 856 times)

Offline ccAb

• Red Level
  • Candies: 3
    • DeviantArt - Heybye44PTX
    • Heybye44's Cool Stuff
  • Fursona Species: North American Furred Dragon
Does Anyone Want to Help Create A Furry Themed Game
« on: March 26, 2016, 04:57:11 pm »
I've been working on a game in Unity 5 for a Language Arts project, absolutely stupid decision, and I've gotten 'slightly' addicted to make open world games even though it's hard to do very quickly and by yourself. When I'm done I want to make another game. The idea is sort of like Feral-Hearts, gMod, The Sims, and Unturned all mashed together and I know I'll never get very far by myself, so I was hoping someone here might want to help work on it with me. The project would be completely open source (under GPL), so if the project were to go south (like Feral-Hearts) someone else could pick up where we left off. The back and client should be completely modular so if we ever decide to change one those components, it wouldn't be a complete rewrite. I also hope for it to be very lightweight and very flexible (unlike Minetest, which is only lightweight). If you want to help I'd prefer if you knew Blender, Unity 5, and/or JavaScript. You must know Git, otherwise it makes it pretty hard to collaborate. The back end will probably be Node.JS, Firebase, or MongoDB based. The Client will be made in either Unity or Godot. Tell me if I'm leaving out something important that you need to know.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 06:16:01 pm by ccAb »
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His

Offline flurrin

• Purple Level
  • Candies: 128
  • sushi dog
Re: Does Anyone Want to Help Create A Furry Themed Game
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2016, 03:40:41 am »
I wish I could help but the only thing I know is javascript ha
(And i'm crap at blender)
  • Flag - britain
  • Award - Holiday Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - androgynous
  • Pronouns: any
profile pic by ShopePapilloma

Offline ccAb

• Red Level
    • Heybye44's Cool Stuff
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2016, 10:11:55 am »
I wish I could help but the only thing I know is javascript ha
(And i'm crap at blender)

Well that's good enough! Unity and Git are super easy to learn and use. Here's the link to the Github Repository: https://github.com/Heybye44/project-uber-fluff As of now there's nothing in it.

Offline Kambo

• Personally knew Abe Lincoln
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 85
  • True story.
    • DeviantArt - kamboblack
    • FurAffinity - harlan
    • Twitter - kamboblack
    • Weasyl - harlan
    • Unfinished Portfolio Site :(
  • Fursona Species: Grey fox
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2016, 01:42:03 pm »
I would be down to help as well, though I don't know how much help I'd actually be. I know JS and Git, and at least have a tiny bit of experience in Unity.

My real strength is in UI/UX design and creative direction, so if you need menus organized, efficient control mapping, a story script written, or advice for the overall game design, I can totally help there.

Here's my github profile if you need it: https://github.com/KamboBlack
  • Award - Beta Tester
Feel free to PM me, I don't bite! I reserve that treatment for sushi and pretzels.

Fursona References (Kambo and Camille)

Offline TodTheFox

• Licensed Lazy Loiterer
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 49
  • Fursona Species: Red Fox
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2016, 01:53:51 pm »
I'd be delighted to provide some assistance though I'd very much like to hear more about this project and yourself before jumping to any conclusions. Your project as you claim seems to be a mashup of some very disparate games. Nevertheless, you've piqued my interest and I'd very much like to hear more about this project at the very least as a necessary precaution to better understand the kind of gameplay you want to create.

Learning more about you and your past projects would also be of great help in determining the plausibility of the project your undertaking. For instance, if this your first game than depending on the current size your project you may have to scale back your aspirations for it a little. Of course. I don't know your experience at this current moment in time so I won't bother with lecturing you at the risk of offending should you already be a seasoned developer.

And since I'm asking you about you I suppose I should elaborate on some of my own qualifications so you can gauge if worthwhile to answer my questions.

I've been programming on and off for about six or seven years now though only for about the past three years have I been programming lower level languages like Java and learning about more advanced programming concepts. Javascript or Unityscript as it commonly referred to when used in conjunction with Unity was my first programming language which I started working sometime around Unity 2-3. I haven't dabbled with Unity since version 4 so I haven't delved into Unity 5 as of yet but I am well versed in the basics of the application though I cannot claim Intermediate understanding of it or it's extensive API since I've primarily used Java for more serious game projects of late. As I haven't used Unity or Programmed Javascript in some time I am unfamiliar with most of the Javascript libraries and Unity Asset Store Assets but I am more than comfortable with learning new libraries and frameworks.

I haven't used git extensively in the past as this would be my first time collaborating with anyone on a game project or really any programming project for that matter but I am familiar with its usage and have it set up already.

I don't claim to be the best at Blender as I am more familiar with 3ds Max and Maya but I understand enough of the application to make basic programmer art for testing but my skill doesn't extend far beyond that. I am also well versed in the usage of Git and Photoshop but again my sprite art abilities don't extend far beyond making prototyping assets.

If you have more questions I did not answer here feel free to ask I will be more than happy to provide additional information at need.
~TodTheFox
  • Pride Flag - asexual

Offline flurrin

• Purple Level
  • Candies: 128
  • sushi dog
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2016, 02:57:18 pm »
Well if there is anything I can help or advice with that is cool, i'm still learning some of these things though so I don't think I can do much other than ideas. if not I will still monitor progress, sounds like tough project.

Out of curiosity are there anymore details on the game structure?
  • Flag - britain
  • Award - Holiday Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - androgynous
  • Pronouns: any
profile pic by ShopePapilloma

Offline ccAb

• Red Level
    • Heybye44's Cool Stuff
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2016, 04:22:37 pm »
Once I have my idea's layed out in a presentable manner, I'll post the graphic here.

TodTheFox, I've been programming for about 4 years, and in year or so I've been learning Blender and Game Development. I'm most experienced with writing client side web apps. I've only done 5 serious game development projects, but 2 of them failed due to poor planning. My GameJolt username is AbstractCheesecake, if want to see 2 of them. From, my judgment, you go ahead and lecture me.

Offline TodTheFox

• Licensed Lazy Loiterer
  • Green Level
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2016, 01:26:20 am »
Once I have my idea's layed out in a presentable manner, I'll post the graphic here.

TodTheFox, I've been programming for about 4 years, and in year or so I've been learning Blender and Game Development. I'm most experienced with writing client side web apps. I've only done 5 serious game development projects, but 2 of them failed due to poor planning. My GameJolt username is AbstractCheesecake, if want to see 2 of them. From, my judgment, you go ahead and lecture me.

I took a look at some of your titles and was most impressed with the concept behind your game "Fall". The Unity physics felt a little wonky and some of the levels were a tiny bit breakable but it's very clear you put a fair degree of effort into the game which is a promising sign indeed! However if I may be so bold as to make a suggestion, I understand you've been learning Blender and that you wish for the project to be in 3d however based on what I've seen and what I understand are your aspirations for the project, a game like the one you seem to be planning would a massive step forward and I'm just not sure you're quite ready for it. I know that's not what you want to hear but believe me, 3d games are in my experience, astronomically harder to program and develop than their 2d counterparts. I know it may sound like I'm biased since I've only worked with 2d projects since moving to Java but there is a great deal of real reasoning behind my decision to do so.  When you make a game with say a a 3d animated character you introduce problems like topology of the character model so it doesn't deform when animated, Polygon resolution as high res models are much harder to render, animation state blending (which I take no shame is saying is beyond me) and the like.Even the physics simulation can get so much more complex when you make the shift from 2d to 3d. If I may be so bold you can still attempt your project idea but I strongly urge you to consider doing in 2d to relieve some of the pressures and stress caused by the immense challenges presented by 3d games.

That said, after reviewing your work I have come to the conclusion that I would be delighted to work with you on your game project after hearing a little more about it. :fox-;):

[edit] Not to offend your experience with my previous lecture/statement, if you have in the past made games with 3d animated characters and know of the challenges and are not daunted by them then by all means if you feel it's necessary and are willing to accept the added difficulties 3d is the way to go. If that's the case you could probably even teach me a thing or two as well. Or if the game wouldn't include 3d characters than I am sorry if I came off as a bit rash and I'd love to hear more about your idea for working around 3d characters.  :fox-:):
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 01:38:36 am by TodTheFox »
  • Pride Flag - asexual

Offline ccAb

• Red Level
    • Heybye44's Cool Stuff
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2016, 02:10:31 pm »
Ugh, I'm lost on how to present my ideas. I've finally found time to do it but no way of doing seems like it will prevent me from leaving out important details. I've also run into a glaring flaw in my original plan: Unity 5. I don't know how I missed the fact I shouldn't use Windows XP anymore and Unity does not work in Ubuntu. I've looked into some alternatives such as Godot, Xenko, CryEngine/Lumberyard, BGE. But they also have some pretty big downfalls: Godot has pretty mediocre graphics & network capabilities, Xenko on supports Windows (They made it with WPF. WTF would they make it in WPF!), Lumberyard 'requires' Windows 7 or higher, and BGE is just well... BGE. Godot and BGE seem to be the most feasible.

Offline FLDude64

• Red Level
  • Candies: 6
    • FurAffinity - FLDude64
    • Twitter - FLDude64
  • Fursona Species: Fox Wolf mix
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2016, 12:51:41 am »
Well, I can compose video game music (any genre) and i would love to contribute!  :lol-fox:
  • Pronouns: He

Offline TodTheFox

• Licensed Lazy Loiterer
  • Green Level
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2016, 03:49:51 am »
Ugh, I'm lost on how to present my ideas. I've finally found time to do it but no way of doing seems like it will prevent me from leaving out important details. I've also run into a glaring flaw in my original plan: Unity 5. I don't know how I missed the fact I shouldn't use Windows XP anymore and Unity does not work in Ubuntu. I've looked into some alternatives such as Godot, Xenko, CryEngine/Lumberyard, BGE. But they also have some pretty big downfalls: Godot has pretty mediocre graphics & network capabilities, Xenko on supports Windows (They made it with WPF. WTF would they make it in WPF!), Lumberyard 'requires' Windows 7 or higher, and BGE is just well... BGE. Godot and BGE seem to be the most feasible.

I'll address the message in fragments based on the order of your statements. Regarding presenting your ideas, as I believe you know, Game Design it's own discipline with Game Development and you within said field there are many schools of thought on that exact question. Over the course of studying Game Design one common trend I've found is most Designers break up their design into multiple word documents each detailing to different and highly specific aspects while a single or small collection of documents contain more broad information on things like Game Mechanics and briefly touch on concepts discussed in great detail in dedicated documents. For example, there are character documents for just but every single non-hostile NPC important to the story. Enemy documents which are reduced versions of character documents skewered towards combat and Boss character documents which are more souped up versions of the earlier. Level design documents, you get the picture. The biggest of all though is usually what they call the GDD of Game Design Document (so inspired I know) this document can get to be so massive Designers actually struggle to get other team members to read them and as such resort to creative tactics to present information in such a way that it can more effectively communicate information to the rest of the team, they are many schools of thought on that very topic as well. It's in fact so large most designers suggest easing into its creation with several smaller documents that are fleshed out and built upon until you have the GDD.  Anyway Game Design if you haven't heard of it, it's big and I think it's worthwhile to take a look into, it will likely have the answers to some your questions. If you already know I'm sorry for lecturing you...again... However if you don't and would like a more in-depth look there is a fair bit more I know on know on the topic that I'd be more than happy to share.

In regards to the crisis of the Game Engine. Assuming by BGE you mean Blender Game Engine, I took a look and it appears the Engine uses block-based visual scripting with python support and the whole thing is built on C++ or so I would seem. That's a pretty drastic shift from Javascript programming in Unity's library and it important to understand not all of the programmers offering their assistance may be comfortable with that using those tools or programming in Python.

While the choice of which engine to use in the development remains yours If I may be so bold as to make a suggestion, after a quick google search I discovered Unity offers an archive which contains downloads for Unity versions dating all the way back to Unity 3. I know a number of if not all versions of Unity 4 support Windows XP and I know beyond a shadow of all doubt that all versions of Unity 3 supported Windows XP. While rolling back would naturally sacrifice some of the newer features haveing developed with both Unity 3 and 4 in the past I can safely assure you both Engines should be more than capable of suiting your projects needs.

https://unity3d.com/get-unity/download/archive

Just a thought of course but I can look into more options for Game Engines if you like.
~ TodTheFox
  • Pride Flag - asexual

Offline ccAb

• Red Level
    • Heybye44's Cool Stuff
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2016, 08:05:10 pm »
I've found a game engine that should work, besides the fact that I can't use it right now (Linux version is unreleased, no 32-bit support. I ought to say to I've got an interesting setup and a very southern word choice), it's called Atomic and it had this weird confusing premium thing going for awhile. It look absolutely amazing but their free options were too limited.  Now it's completely free and open-source.  I've also gotten started on a GDD which is here. Comments are enabled.

Offline ccAb

• Red Level
    • Heybye44's Cool Stuff
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2016, 08:09:27 pm »
Sorry for the double post. For some reason, I can't edit my last one.

FLDude64, of course you can help! Are you good at liquid drumstep, chill trap, or chillstep and drumstep, house, or, melodic dubstep?

Offline TodTheFox

• Licensed Lazy Loiterer
  • Green Level
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2016, 03:26:09 am »
I've found a game engine that should work, besides the fact that I can't use it right now (Linux version is unreleased, no 32-bit support. I ought to say to I've got an interesting setup and a very southern word choice), it's called Atomic and it had this weird confusing premium thing going for awhile. It look absolutely amazing but their free options were too limited.  Now it's completely free and open-source.  I've also gotten started on a GDD which is here. Comments are enabled.

I may or may not have potentially gone just slightly overboard with commenting on the GDD (Would you believe me if I told you I wasn't done yet either?  :fox-:):). For this, I apologize but I just wanted to impart a little wisdom and share my thoughts :fox-;): (That and clear up some lingering questions or, at least, adress lingering questions so they can be eventually clarified later on in the development of the documentation.) I hope you don't take offense at any of it. I love to share what I know with other developers and can be a bit over zealous at times.
  • Pride Flag - asexual

Offline ccAb

• Red Level
    • Heybye44's Cool Stuff
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2016, 05:47:47 pm »
I really don't want to be a let down, but I think I've bitten off way more than I can chew. It sounded like a seriously good idea at the time. (March 26, 2016, 04:57:11 pm) Now, I realize that this way more complex of an undertaking than I thought it would be. Maybe another time? (When I actually know what I'm doing. :p)

Offline TodTheFox

• Licensed Lazy Loiterer
  • Green Level
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2016, 05:59:57 pm »
I really don't want to be a let down, but I think I've bitten off way more than I can chew. It sounded like a seriously good idea at the time. (March 26, 2016, 04:57:11 pm) Now, I realize that this way more complex of an undertaking than I thought it would be. Maybe another time? (When I actually know what I'm doing. :p)

Ah, I see, an MMORPG project is a very large undertaking. Game projects themselves are really big though not impossible to complete solo or with a small team just hard. If you ever want some bits of wisdom/advice on Game development or pointers on Java I'd be more than happy to help out! And if you should ever be looking for team members in the future, you've already more than adequately proven your skill to me and I'd be happy to assist you on any future projects.  :fox-;):

Should you wish you can contact me here on FT, my email at altairre.atsu@gmail.com, or my skype, "genclone". (it's an old alias of mine)
~ TodTheFox
  • Pride Flag - asexual