Author Topic: Coding industry question?  (Read 612 times)

Offline Suporcur

• aaaaaaannnnnnnnddddddddd
  • Orange Level
  • Cookies: 11
  • no one care's
  • Fursona Species: Yellow Tape
Coding industry question?
« on: April 04, 2016, 07:09:54 am »
 I DONT KNOW IF THIS SHOULD GO INTO TECHIE TALK.

Hey, so, I've been wondering what I want to be when I "grow up" for a long time. And I've come up with no answers whilst doing so. What I do know, is I love technology and have been thinking about getting into the industry of coding, programming, software developing etc. what I don't know is if it's for me. I've been doing basic research (ok, kind of but not really) and haven't found the answers I'm looking looking for. Some websites are telling me this feild is booming with oppurtunity, others say there's to much competition.
     I am about average at math. I'm 8th grade taking 9th grade math. I want to make around 70-100k a year. Which is a lot and difficult to do. So I guess I'm saying, do you have to be very smart at math to be get a good job programming?  Is it hard to get a high paying job programming? And finally, is it hard to go into this industry for video games specifically?

That's a mess of typing and questions. I'm hoping there's some random person who knows a lot about this stuff.
  • Pronouns: Him/his/he
"*really deep and meaningfull/pessimistic quote here*"

I spent far longer than I should have trying to figure out what that tape says

Offline Applefolf

• We had to steal him from his fate
  • Purple Level
  • Cookies: 301
  • So he could see another day
    • Twitter - Applefolf
Re: Coding industry question?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 07:55:13 am »
Alright I'll try and answer a few of these questions:

The field is definitely booming with opportunity overall, the majority of the population do not really focus on learning code. For video games specifically, there'll be a lot more competition due to people wanting jobs to do with video games.
The better you are at maths and English, the more likely you are to get a better programming job (thus a bigger paycheck). Maths is quite important to quite a few programming languages, so there's that. I'm not sure how much the video game industry pays, but I don't think that you would perhaps get quite that much.
  • Flag - england
  • Site Donor
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
~All the hate that you've heard has turned your spirit to a dove~
~ Twitter ~ Steam ~

Offline TodTheFox

• Licensed Lazy Loiterer
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 49
  • Fursona Species: Red Fox
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 10:59:16 pm »
I'm not in the Industry myself right now but I've spent a bit of time researching it myself over the years and hopefully you'll find my answers helpful to some extent.

One reason you might be getting mixed answers on the state of the industry is because programming isn't actually one single Industry. There is the Game Development Industry which has been becoming more and more competitive over the years as there is a constant surge of new developers entering the industry with their Indie games all fighting for your hard earned dollars. Web Development is another big one which mostly deals with the creation and maintenance of websites but that's about the extent of my knowledge on the field. I can't say precisely how competitive Web Development is but I think it's assured it's nowhere near as competitive as the Game Development Industry but that is just my personal observation. Finally, the last sorta big category is Software Development though you could technically call Scripting something of an industry but I don't see it as much more than an outlet for some freelance jobs, it will take a lot of persuading for me to call it an industry. In my personal opinion, Software development has about the least amount of competition to worry about, to be honest, this probably the industry you heard to be booming with opportunity. Unfortunately, my field is primarily Game Development so I can't be as useful in relaying accurate information on the other industries.

As for Math really in my findings most programmers agree that more math is almost universally better regardless of industry, and honestly, I am inclined to agree. If not for the applications of Math in programming the kind of critical thinking and problem solving imparted by Math can prove to be immensely useful in the field of programming though both traits can be trained through simply programming in my personal experience. Rather then searching what kind of Math you need to be a programmer I recommend specifically searching the kind of math you need to know for the vocation you want to pursue since it's different for every job. Personally, so long as you really like Math and don't mind learning it don't be daunted by the some of the steep requirements for fields like Graphics programming, if the passion is there you shouldn't have trouble learning  :fox-;):.

70k-100k a year isn't such an unreasonable range when it comes to programming but really if you haven't just look up the average yearly salary of programmers of your chosen vocation in a state you'd like to work in or look up that information from websites of companies you'd like to work for though it's likely to be less accessible than the earlier.

In response to Folfy's statement, Programmers in the Video game industry generally get paid even more than programmers in other industries because 1. Video games are a massively profitable if they are even a mild success and 2. video games are very challenging things to program, perhaps one of the most challenging when it comes to software.

I hope this helps and if you have any more questions feel free to ask and I will try to answer them to the best of my abilities.
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His

Offline Kambo

• Personally knew Abe Lincoln
  • Blue Level
  • Cookies: 85
  • True story.
    • DeviantArt - kamboblack
    • FurAffinity - harlan
    • Twitter - kamboblack
    • Weasyl - harlan
    • Unfinished Portfolio Site :(
  • Fursona Species: Grey fox
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 02:39:41 am »
 Web Development is another big one which mostly deals with the creation and maintenance of websites but that's about the extent of my knowledge on the field. I can't say precisely how competitive Web Development is but I think it's assured it's nowhere near as competitive as the Game Development Industry but that is just my personal observation.

I can confirm that web development is fairly competitive, though nowhere near to the extent of game development. If you know your stuff past basic Javascript, then jobs are popping (especially if you have an eye for design!). Loads of marketing opportunities, freelance jobs, new start-ups needing websites quick, friends hearing you make websites and want some weird online photo album (??). The competition comes from the fact that the basic skills and languages are much easier and faster to learn than the more powerful stuff in game/software dev, such as Java, C, etc. and it's easier to see results faster, because of the nature of the kind of code you're using.

And as far as maths go, keep it up! I agree with the others that it's super helpful, but less for the actual numbers and methods and more because of the unique way math trains your brain to solve logical problems. The higher the grade, the more complicated the problem. The real value in studying math is the brain exercise, not the number crunching. (We have calculators for a reason)

And finally, I don't think it's hard to get a high-paying programming job, just time consuming. It varies depending on the industry, but pretty universally, the longer you do it the more you get paid.

My #1 advice: meet loads of people. Networking saves lives is key.
  • Award - Beta Tester
Feel free to PM me, I don't bite! I reserve that treatment for sushi and pretzels.

Fursona References (Kambo and Camille)

Offline ccAb

• Red Level
  • Cookies: 3
    • DeviantArt - Heybye44PTX
    • Heybye44's Cool Stuff
  • Fursona Species: North American Furred Dragon
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2016, 04:06:36 pm »
I suggest you head over to http://codeacademy.com and try the Javascript or Python tutorials, and if you enjoy it, keep learning and keep making.

Offline Suporcur

• Orange Level
  • no one care's
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 05:16:41 pm »
I'm not in the Industry myself right now but I've spent a bit of time researching it myself over the years and hopefully you'll find my answers helpful to some extent.

One reason you might be getting mixed answers on the state of the industry is because programming isn't actually one single Industry. There is the Game Development Industry which has been becoming more and more competitive over the years as there is a constant surge of new developers entering the industry with their Indie games all fighting for your hard earned dollars. Web Development is another big one which mostly deals with the creation and maintenance of websites but that's about the extent of my knowledge on the field. I can't say precisely how competitive Web Development is but I think it's assured it's nowhere near as competitive as the Game Development Industry but that is just my personal observation. Finally, the last sorta big category is Software Development though you could technically call Scripting something of an industry but I don't see it as much more than an outlet for some freelance jobs, it will take a lot of persuading for me to call it an industry. In my personal opinion, Software development has about the least amount of competition to worry about, to be honest, this probably the industry you heard to be booming with opportunity. Unfortunately, my field is primarily Game Development so I can't be as useful in relaying accurate information on the other industries.

As for Math really in my findings most programmers agree that more math is almost universally better regardless of industry, and honestly, I am inclined to agree. If not for the applications of Math in programming the kind of critical thinking and problem solving imparted by Math can prove to be immensely useful in the field of programming though both traits can be trained through simply programming in my personal experience. Rather then searching what kind of Math you need to be a programmer I recommend specifically searching the kind of math you need to know for the vocation you want to pursue since it's different for every job. Personally, so long as you really like Math and don't mind learning it don't be daunted by the some of the steep requirements for fields like Graphics programming, if the passion is there you shouldn't have trouble learning  :fox-;):.

70k-100k a year isn't such an unreasonable range when it comes to programming but really if you haven't just look up the average yearly salary of programmers of your chosen vocation in a state you'd like to work in or look up that information from websites of companies you'd like to work for though it's likely to be less accessible than the earlier.

In response to Folfy's statement, Programmers in the Video game industry generally get paid even more than programmers in other industries because 1. Video games are a massively profitable if they are even a mild success and 2. video games are very challenging things to program, perhaps one of the most challenging when it comes to software.

I hope this helps and if you have any more questions feel free to ask and I will try to answer them to the best of my abilities.

Thanks man. I guess I'll guest research more

Offline Suporcur

• Orange Level
  • no one care's
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2016, 05:17:33 pm »
I suggest you head over to http://codeacademy.com and try the Javascript or Python tutorials, and if you enjoy it, keep learning and keep making.

Way ahead of ya.... Or was until I stopped. I'll start over again.