Author Topic: Computer not entering sleep mode  (Read 263 times)

Offline ★Panda★

• Not a duck!
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 593
  • :*・°☆.。.:*・°☆.。
    • DeviantArt - cocoapanda
    • FurAffinity - cocoapanda
  • Fursona Species: Skunk
Computer not entering sleep mode
« on: April 13, 2016, 09:18:57 am »
Maybe someone here can help me...

All of a sudden, for the past couple of months now, my computer refuses to enter sleep mode. Even when I close the laptop it never sleeps. Last night it was on literally all night for example. I've seen it happen: my computer will be on, the screen will turn off as if about to enter sleep and then it'll wake itself up. I have literally no idea what's causing it as I haven't installed new programs lately, and the one that could have been doing it (Avast), I turned that setting off. I tried something in Command Prompt I found on Google (sorry, I'm not technologically advanced  :fox-:P: ) to no avail.

I want to figure this out, I'm sure this is SO bad for the battery, and my laptop runs hot now. Constantly shutting down & rebooting isn't really practical for school. So...help? :/
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pronouns: They/them
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Offline WolfyHasPie

• Red Level
  • Cookies: 2
  • Fursona Species: Wolf
Re: Computer not entering sleep mode
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 09:37:54 am »
Sounds like somthing in your settings is set that it will not allow your computer to go to sleep.

You shoude have mentioned what operating system you have. assuming you have windows 7 here's a possible sulotion.
Go to your control panel, Click power options ( the with the battery icon).
There you can set how do you want your battery to work. mark what you need I recommend for a laptop that you mark saving power option but if you play games
it's ok to have it on stable option it will just heat up more. near the option you picked you see Change Program Settings you want to click that.
and from that point it's easy you can see an option Make Computer Sleep you select when you want it to go to sleep.
and press Save Settings.

And you are done! if it still dosent go to sleep it's probably a problem you want a Tech to view up closer.

btw you can also press start and press the arrow near Power Off and then press Sleep :3
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 09:45:09 am by WolfyHasPie »

Offline ★Panda★

• Not a duck!
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 593
  • :*・°☆.。.:*・°☆.。
    • DeviantArt - cocoapanda
    • FurAffinity - cocoapanda
  • Fursona Species: Skunk
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 09:48:13 am »
Sounds like somthing in your settings is set that it will not allow your computer to go to sleep.

You shoude have mentioned what operating system you have. assuming you have windows 7 here's a possible sulotion.
Go to your control panel, Click power options ( the with the battery icon).
There you can set how do you want your battery to work. mark what you need I recommend for a laptop that you mark saving power option but if you play games
it's ok to have it on stable option it will just heat up more. near the option you picked you see Change Program Settings you want to click that.
and from that point it's easy you can see an option Make Your Computer Sleep you select when you want it to go to sleep.
and press Save Settings.

And you are done! if it still dosent go to sleep it's probably a problem you want a Tech to view up closer.

btw you can also press start and press the arrow near Power Off and then press Sleep :3

Oops sorry, Windows 8.1. I've already played around with the power management settings, Sleep is already set for 10 mins but it just refuses to happen
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pronouns: They/them
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Offline WolfyHasPie

• Red Level
  • Cookies: 2
  • Fursona Species: Wolf
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 09:58:07 am »
Well I can tell you that some batterys get damaged if you charge them with power while using the laptop.
So another reason could be that your battery is alredy broke if you are doing that ^

anyways sounds like somthing you might want a tech to view it up close.

tho did you try making it sleep from the arrow near the power off?