Author Topic: An Odd Idea  (Read 1609 times)

Offline Ecilam Nellus

• Green Level
  • Candies: 41
  • I'm a weirdo who does nothing but play with socks.
    • DeviantArt - Two-Weirdos
  • Fursona Species: Arctic fox
An Odd Idea
« on: April 16, 2016, 04:13:56 pm »
Now for those of you old timers like myself, you may remember that one shot idea I tried once upon a time called The Midnight shift, which was essentially a shameless Welcome to Nightvale clone, where I simply did a fake radio show for the forum talking about random spooky things that happened (But didn't actually). I will admit I couldn't even stand it being on my computer so I deleted it long ago. I was ashamed of it because well.. It was poor, lacking in confidence on my part and in general just not well thought out enough.

So with that being known to you young bucks and old.. Lions? (In the furry fandom those terms tend to have new meanings with the whole.. Everyone is an animal thing.. But I digress) I have an idea, I have been getting into editing sound a lot recently and I feel like given the chance I could do something rather.. Amazing for this site.
I'm thinking of doing something similar, but different in the way it is presented and in a lot of other ways too!

So how will it be different?
Well first off I'm ditching the spooky theme, it was a bit too much of a rip off for my tastes and I wouldn't mind doing something different, I might go back to spooky if you guys want something but other than that, I will probably stick to just something a little more up beat.
What I am planning is for it to be a short-ish (Around ten to twenty minute) legitimate radio show about the actual goings on, on this site!
It would be scripted before hand and I would try my hardest to lean more towards comedic. I would discuss things that are happening on the forum, interesting topics to check out, announcements from the staff to all of you, heck possibly even Interviews with staff members!
This is idea will be a bit of a stretch and I will need some help with it

Now when I say help I don't mean "Do the entire thing for me" I mean I am only one tiny man, with only the ability to do a few tiny things at a time! So I'll list below the things I would need help with and the ways you guys could help me if you are interested?

1. News worthy events: This is a given considering this is a show about the news of the site, but see I am a busy-ish guy, I already edit a podcast and am soon going to be going to University, so if you as a member here find something news worthy on the site be it someone did something really kind, a new thread popped up that is blowing up like crazy, or even something like world affairs that are sparking a discussion on here. Anything can help and if any of you would like me to discuss it, that would be amazing!

2. Art: Now this one I am a little ashamed to ask for, because I have worked with many artists in my life and asking for free art is rude no matter what, but I feel if these were to be made into videos a static image of black with nothing to look at while you listen is a bit.. Poor, I wouldn't ask for much, only maybe one or two simple drawings to put in the video and you would be given full credit!
    Art-B: That being said if you have any art you did that you want to show off on the radio show, they would be shown on screen as I talk about them, and I would make sure to say who they are from, what they are about, and any other information the artists give me.

3. Music: This one is a bit trickier, see in The Midnight Shift, I played copyrighted music and it sounded rather terrible and lazy, so what I'm asking is if anyone who knows how to make their own music, or anyone who has access to simple melodic background music that is also free to use without fear of copyright claims. Anything and everything will be appreciated!

4. Suggestions: Now to make this a thing, I can come up with the bare bones of it, make it work, but to make it bigger, and possibly grow it I will need the help of you guys! The community! So any suggestions on segments would be great! Be it you guys want to have your own segment on here where you do a top ten modern songs and I narrate your thoughts on them, maybe you guys want me to discuss specific topics and give my opinions? Heck! you guys might want me to review games you have played recently or make recommendations! Any and all suggestions on content to add is great! And you will all be credited equally!

5. Misc: Now these are the simple things I may need help with, things like critique on my vocal delivery, saying my jokes were good or bad, or what else to add? (That rhymed accidentally), hell if you guys want to come on and make a sketch or two with me feel free to do so! (As long as your mic quality is okay) And one thing I want to do is a segment called "Post of the day" where I find the weirdest or most interesting reply someone made and feature it as a way to encourage fun posts!

There would be a lot of planning involved, I don't even have a name thought out for this thing yet?
If you have a suggestion leave it below!

But my main question is?
Do you guys want to see this happen? Would you be willing to help me make this a thing?
I'm curious because if I don't get any feedback I probably won't, but I still think it's worth asking all of you lovely people!

So?
What shall it be?
I'm boring and not boring at the same time, kind of like a sock with googly eyes on it.

Offline flurrin

• Purple Level
  • Candies: 128
  • sushi dog
Re: An Odd Idea
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 04:29:42 pm »
sounds like a great idea ^^
could be interesting
  • Flag - britain
  • Award - Holiday Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - androgynous
  • Pronouns: any
profile pic by ShopePapilloma

Offline Ecilam Nellus

• Green Level
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2016, 04:42:42 pm »
sounds like a great idea ^^
could be interesting
Awesome!
Any amount of support is good!
Just need some more people to give me their opinions so spread the word if it's not too much trouble!
I'm boring and not boring at the same time, kind of like a sock with googly eyes on it.

Offline Kinua

• O_o
  • Yellow Level
  • Candies: 30
    • Twitter - Real_Kinua
  • Fursona Species: Manokit
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2016, 04:56:11 pm »
Sounds like a cool idea! I could probably help you with some of this, just let me know!
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt participant
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His
Add me on steam!
Send me a PM if you want, I don't bite!  :fox-;):
Free icon base by feve @FA

Offline Ecilam Nellus

• Green Level
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2016, 04:56:58 pm »
Sounds like a cool idea! I could probably help you with some of this, just let me know!
Thank you!
What do you think you could help me with?

Offline lion dude

• Yellow Level
    • cheeki breeki
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2016, 05:00:43 pm »
I like this idea, I had something close to this in mind allthough it would have been a more or less flexible podcast, (i just need a response from lance) so I would be willing to help with things, i dont know what in particular i could help with because im not really good at any of those things you need but i am able to just ramble on about anything if you need a co-host or something lol

Allthough I think there isn't much you can really report news wise for this website? I don't want to discourage you but most events are already anounced by the admins and i dont think there arent any long term topics you could fill an episode up with if you're mainly going to make it a news show.
Spikes

Offline Ecilam Nellus

• Green Level
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2016, 05:06:42 pm »
I like this idea, I had something close to this in mind allthough it would have been a more or less flexible podcast, (i just need a response from lance) so I would be willing to help with things, i dont know what in particular i could help with because im not really good at any of those things you need but i am able to just ramble on about anything if you need a co-host or something lol

Allthough I think there isn't much you can really report news wise for this website? I don't want to discourage you but most events are already anounced by the admins and i dont think there arent any long term topics you could fill an episode up with if you're mainly going to make it a news show.
Thanks for your support and your feedback!
Yeah, I can agree with the fact that things are announced on the forum itself, but my response to that is basically, well, I can still announce it on the show, mostly for the fun of it because I can still make a lot of jokes, tell a lot of stories and just have fun with it!

And in regards to there just not being enough news worthy events, I promise you, there are. It's just a matter of looking in the right places for the little things, perhaps announcing interesting new threads, or heck! People could bribe me to promote their threads!
I also could name off new members that join every week too.

Hm..
Though I would prefer to do it solo, because recording two people is tough when it's scripted because we would have to do it over Skype and it would take a lot more extra time to edit, but I think if I have you as a resource to draw on I could use you well! (Not to sound weird)
How good is your mic?

Offline Kinua

• O_o
  • Yellow Level
    • Twitter - Real_Kinua
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2016, 05:15:39 pm »
Thank you!
Idk, maybe do some sketches or something like that?
Add me on steam!

Offline Ecilam Nellus

• Green Level
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2016, 05:18:20 pm »
Thank you!
That would be pretty cool!
Would you be able to keep an eye out for interesting posts? Or news?

Offline lion dude

• Yellow Level
    • cheeki breeki
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2016, 05:19:27 pm »

No problem!

Yeah, I can agree with the fact that things are announced on the forum itself, but my response to that is basically, well, I can still announce it on the show, mostly for the fun of it because I can still make a lot of jokes, tell a lot of stories and just have fun with it!

And in regards to there just not being enough news worthy events, I promise you, there are. It's just a matter of looking in the right places for the little things, perhaps announcing interesting new threads, or heck! People could bribe me to promote their threads!

That does make more sense to just making a dry news show, however, you said you wanted to script this in this next paragraph, are you sure you should script your jokes and fun? It would seem better to just run free, with you bringing up your topics as you go along rather than sounding like you're just reading off of an script for everything, allthough if you're good with voice work you might be able to pull that off.

Hm..
Though I would prefer to do it solo, because recording two people is tough when it's scripted because we would have to do it over Skype and it would take a lot more extra time to edit, but I think if I have you as a resource to draw on I could use you well! (Not to sound weird)

That is fine, I think it's a good idea to keep everything solo sometimes because then it would be less of an hassle for recording times or the editing time plus if you add another person and they misread thier line if you keep it scripted you have more of a hard time to fix it by recording a new line.

How good is your mic?

Well, the one I use regurlarly is garbage i got for cheap at a local electronics store however i should be able to have acess to a Sennheiser mic which was used in big budget film production but I need to sort out the adapting issues i still have since my current adapter for a regular pc microphone jack is homemade and i need to see if it even works let alone sounds okay enough.
Plus I would need to make something of a better recording booth (or atleast remove most of the noise), and skype compresses audio quality aswell so it would make more sense to just have me read the lines and record them in audacity or something along those lines and you could edit them together with yours I think.
Spikes

Offline Kinua

• O_o
  • Yellow Level
    • Twitter - Real_Kinua
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2016, 05:23:06 pm »
Thank you!
That would be pretty cool!
Would you be able to keep an eye out for interesting posts? Or news?
Sure, although I might be a bit busy because of school stuff :/
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 05:24:41 pm by Kinua »
Add me on steam!

Offline Ecilam Nellus

• Green Level
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2016, 05:31:45 pm »

No problem!

That does make more sense to just making a dry news show, however, you said you wanted to script this in this next paragraph, are you sure you should script your jokes and fun? It would seem better to just run free, with you bringing up your topics as you go along rather than sounding like you're just reading off of an script for everything, allthough if you're good with voice work you might be able to pull that off.

Hm..

That is fine, I think it's a good idea to keep everything solo sometimes because then it would be less of an hassle for recording times or the editing time plus if you add another person and they misread thier line if you keep it scripted you have more of a hard time to fix it by recording a new line.

How good is your mic?

Well, the one I use regurlarly is garbage i got for cheap at a local electronics store however i should be able to have acess to a Sennheiser mic which was used in big budget film production but I need to sort out the adapting issues i still have since my current adapter for a regular pc microphone jack is homemade and i need to see if it even works let alone sounds okay enough.
Plus I would need to make something of a better recording booth (or atleast remove most of the noise), and skype compresses audio quality aswell so it would make more sense to just have me read the lines and record them in audacity or something along those lines and you could edit them together with yours I think.
See I graduated from Highschool with a Trades Diploma basically saying I am trained to work in a Radio Station and or a Television Station,  I got the highest marks in my class and even got the student excellency award! We trained on how to make radio plays and what is good when scripting and what isn't. I won't give away all my secrets, but lets just say that as it is, I promise it won't seem unnatural, I have a half way decent read as it is! And with it being pre-recorded and editing I promise you it will be perfectly fine! I have a good amount of aptitude towards it.

What are the specs on your mic if you don't mind me asking?
Yeah, that is how I do my podcast with a friend of mine, we record our audio separately and sync it up in the post production side of things!

Offline Kambo

• Personally knew Abe Lincoln
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 85
  • True story.
    • DeviantArt - kamboblack
    • FurAffinity - harlan
    • Twitter - kamboblack
    • Weasyl - harlan
    • Unfinished Portfolio Site :(
  • Fursona Species: Grey fox
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2016, 09:13:23 pm »
This sounds like a great idea and I'm totally behind it! If you need it, I'd be happy to help with whatever you need as well. I have a half-decent mic (Blue Yeti) and adobe audition to work with. I'm working toward a bachelor's in digital media, so I know my way around the technical side of things.

Just let me know if you need some dramatic readings, voice acting, clean-up, or whatever else, especially since my semester ends next week!
  • Award - Beta Tester
Feel free to PM me, I don't bite! I reserve that treatment for sushi and pretzels.

Fursona References (Kambo and Camille)

Offline Spoopy ★ Panda

• Not a duck!
  • Administrator
  • Candies: 586
  • :*・°☆.。.:*・°☆.。
    • DeviantArt - cocoapanda
    • FurAffinity - cocoapanda
  • Fursona Species: Platypus
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2016, 09:34:31 pm »
Not sure if you guys plan on this being an FTR thing or a spin-off, but in order for it to be an official FT thing (aka, using FurryTeens in the name), there's a couple guidelines we ask that you follow (which Lance is in charge of). Lion, I'm not sure how long ago you PMed Lance about this, but if its been a while I'll give him a poke about it.
Also, to anyone doing artwork, I just ask that you don't work on any sort of logo without running it by me first (if it is indeed going to be an official FT thing). We are trying to keep FT's branding consistent so I'd have to help you work on that. Other artwork is fine of course  :fox-:P:
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pronouns: They/them
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Offline lion dude

• Yellow Level
    • cheeki breeki
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2016, 09:45:24 pm »
Lion, I'm not sure how long ago you PMed Lance about this, but if its been a while I'll give him a poke about it.

Don't mean to bother, but it was almost two weeks ago and he sent me a pm saying he would respond the following day
Spikes

Offline Ecilam Nellus

• Green Level
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2016, 10:38:40 pm »
Not sure if you guys plan on this being an FTR thing or a spin-off, but in order for it to be an official FT thing (aka, using FurryTeens in the name), there's a couple guidelines we ask that you follow (which Lance is in charge of). Lion, I'm not sure how long ago you PMed Lance about this, but if its been a while I'll give him a poke about it.
Also, to anyone doing artwork, I just ask that you don't work on any sort of logo without running it by me first (if it is indeed going to be an official FT thing). We are trying to keep FT's branding consistent so I'd have to help you work on that. Other artwork is fine of course  :fox-:P:
The thing is the last thing I would want to do is mess with the branding of the site!
And yeah I wouldn't make this a super public thing, I would have it be an unlisted video on Youtube that only people with the link can access, if this does end up going through I will run absolutely everything by you and anyone else I need to before hand to keep things consistent and approved across the board!
My main point is also to be as little a burden as possible! I mainly will do this for fun and the entertainment of the people on the site, so yeah.