Author Topic: Advice/tips for people new to digital art  (Read 406 times)

Offline Cotton Candy

• Green Level
  • Cookies: 68
  • Fursona Species: deer
Advice/tips for people new to digital art
« on: April 27, 2016, 11:34:36 pm »
This is for me and anyone else in similar situations  :fox-:P:

I just got a digital art pad (like not even an hour ago) and I need help :p

What programs are best to draw with? what are the best ways to practice?
  • Flag - usa

Offline Ru

• Don't mind me
  • Red Level
  • Cookies: 12
  • Just sleepin' in my tree
    • FurAffinity - Kettu99
  • Fursona Species: Red Panda
Re: Advice/tips for people new to digital art
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 12:21:58 am »
Depends on your budget really. If your a penny-pincher like me, or you just have a non existent budget, I would suggest Gimp. It has a good range of capabilities and it's completely open source (aka"free"). But otherwise I would recommend either photoshop or illustrator.

As for practicing, I would suggest just practicing. You can find exercises online that can help you adjust to using a pad rather than pen and paper, but after that, it isn't too much different then learning how to do art with traditional mediums. Draw or paint or whatever as often as possible.
You can try looking up some tutorials online too, there's a boat-load of great stuff out there to help you. One site I highly recommend is ctrl+paint, it has a good sized library of free videos that are arranged specifically to help newbies transition from traditional art to digital. CG Cookie is pretty good too if your willing to shell out some green.

Good luck! 

Offline Kambo

• Personally knew Abe Lincoln
  • Blue Level
  • Cookies: 85
  • True story.
    • DeviantArt - kamboblack
    • FurAffinity - harlan
    • Twitter - kamboblack
    • Weasyl - harlan
    • Unfinished Portfolio Site :(
  • Fursona Species: Grey fox
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 01:07:52 am »
Depends on your budget really. If your a penny-pincher like me, or you just have a non existent budget, I would suggest Gimp. It has a good range of capabilities and it's completely open source (aka"free"). But otherwise I would recommend either photoshop or illustrator.

As for practicing, I would suggest just practicing. You can find exercises online that can help you adjust to using a pad rather than pen and paper, but after that, it isn't too much different then learning how to do art with traditional mediums. Draw or paint or whatever as often as possible.
You can try looking up some tutorials online too, there's a boat-load of great stuff out there to help you. One site I highly recommend is ctrl+paint, it has a good sized library of free videos that are arranged specifically to help newbies transition from traditional art to digital. CG Cookie is pretty good too if your willing to shell out some green.

Good luck!

^^^
What they said

I'll elaborate a bit on the options for programs though. There's free ones and paid ones. There isn't really any program better than another, just try a few out and stick with the one you like the feel of the best.

Free options:

Autodesk Sketchbook is my personal favorite out of the free options. Solid program from a reputed company, it was designed specifically to work well with drawing tablets, and it lends itself to a paper type of feel. There's also a really strong community behind that program specifically, especially on deviantArt, including daily challenges, contests, etc. Good if you need a quick prompt to jump start your art for the day.

Krita is another option designed for drawing tablets. I haven't tried it myself, but my friends who use it love it and recommend it.

GIMP is pretty well known as a kind of open-source Photoshop. Works well, though it's really meant for more photoediting and whatnot. Painting is fine, but compared to the other options, the tablet support is a bit wonky sometimes.

Paid options:

Again, Autodesk Sketchbook. The Pro version adds a ton of different features and tools, including rulers, guides, symmetry, and unlimited layers. (The free one is only limited to 3 or 4, I think.)

Adobe Photoshop is the go-to for most professional digital artists. It will do everything, and it will do it well. Bit of a learning curve if you aren't familiar with it. The current version is the Creative Cloud, and goes for $20 per month. You get an awesome discount if you're a student though.

Paint Tool SAI is another popular option, less of an all-in-one program and more geared toward digital art. It costs about $50.

Corel Painter is a pretty spendy option, at around $400, but it's a one-time fee vs. Adobe's monthly subscription. It is also pretty powerful, and it's been described to me as a mix of the power of Photoshop and the art-based focus of SAI.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Aaaand practicing. honestly, best way to practice is to goof around. Eventually something comes to mind, like, "I wonder how to do X" and you go and learn it and it's a bit of knowledge added to the library. Rinse and repeat forever.

As for actual practicing methods, as Ru said, there's tons of tutorials, exercises, resources out there just for exact purpose. The style of art you're making has a big say in how you go about learning, though. For some, it might be lineart, then coloring, for others it might be blocking shapes, then shading, and for the rest it might be chuck colors at it till something comes out. Whatever your style, just keep doing it.

Hope this helped! =D
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His
Feel free to PM me, I don't bite! I reserve that treatment for sushi and pretzels.

Fursona References (Kambo and Camille)

Offline SomatheWolf

• Red Level
  • Cookies: 7
  • Fursona Species: wolf and deer
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 12:56:58 am »

Good luck!

^^^

Autodesk Sketchbook is my personal favorite out of the free options. Solid program from a reputed company, it was designed specifically to work well with drawing tablets, and it lends itself to a paper type of feel. There's also a really strong community behind that program specifically, especially on deviantArt, including daily challenges, contests, etc. Good if you need a quick prompt to jump start your art for the day.

for me i have the old version of sketchbook that is a paid full version of sketchbook that allows me to have all the same options as the new one but 1 and i have all the copic colour ranges unlike the new version that only gives you ten
i find it superior to all other ones because of its inter fave and because of steady stroke so you can even draw tablet quality line art with a mouse!
my profile picture was made by @dontwalkaway