Author Topic: Online Summer School  (Read 408 times)

Offline TheSecondRachel

• Manatee Queen
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 58
  • Icon by Nagi <3
    • DeviantArt - TheSecondRachel
  • Fursona Species: Cat
Online Summer School
« on: May 11, 2016, 10:13:07 am »
So I really want to graduate a year early (I'm currently at the end of my Sophomore year), so I've decided I want to take the three credits I need for my Junior year online over the summer.

My school doesn't have many resources, so I feel a bit stuck. I know they're expensive, but my parents are willing to support me.

Does anyone have any reccomendations for online summer school programs? Preferably ones that are based in Texas- credits from those would be much more likely to go through my transcript.

If you have any other advice on things like early graduation and online summer school, I'd appreciate that too. ^^

• Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Offline Izzy the Foxdeer

• Signature hearts by Jasper/Coffee
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 52
  • icon by I.S.A.C.
    • DeviantArt - multifandomed25
    • Twitter - multifandomed25
    • Tumblr
  • Fursona Species: Grey fox/reindeer hybrid
Re: Online Summer School
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 10:38:39 am »
Usually your regular school will have an online summer school program that they recommend. Sometimes you can even get them to pay for it
  • Flag - usa
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - pansexual
  • Pride Flag - demigirl
  • Pronouns: She/her they/them
worlds most pan-tastic demigirl and maybe otherkin
check out my tumblr | confess love here | pet me please?

Offline TheSecondRachel

• Manatee Queen
  • Green Level
  • Icon by Nagi <3
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 10:57:57 am »
Usually your regular school will have an online summer school program that they recommend. Sometimes you can even get them to pay for it
Sorry, I forgot to mention that my school district DOES have an online program, but I've heard it isn't very good and basically just crams all the regular curriculum into 6 weeks. They didn't really shape it to be done efficienty over the summer- so that option is out for me. omo"

Offline Célestin La Rue

• Colombe Céleste
  • Yellow Level
  • Candies: 34
  • Voler au-desses!
  • Fursona Species: Dove
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 11:39:57 pm »
      I advise against graduating a year earlier than what you normally would. I was given the oppertunity to graduate early and it would be very simple for me to do next year, but I decided to stay. Post-secondary education is very different from high school education. I took a college course that I dropped last year and it is nothing like a normal class. If you graduate early, you'll be less prepared for college because you'll basically be rushing a year of information and then you wouldn't have really learned anything. You'll also miss out on the different classes you could take and thus skipping key information and college preperation. You're also missing out pn a year of social development. You're basically just going to through yourself out into the real world and some people need that extra year of growth. I really don't even see an advantage of graduating early. Universities from where I'm from wouldn't care more about someone who graduated early with someone who graduated on time. School is only in session for about 200 days. I think you should enjoy that final year and not worry about graduating early. It's just adding more stress to an all ready stressful school experience.
  • Pronouns: He, Him, His

Offline TheSecondRachel

• Manatee Queen
  • Green Level
  • Icon by Nagi <3
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 09:34:45 pm »
      I advise against graduating a year earlier than what you normally would. I was given the oppertunity to graduate early and it would be very simple for me to do next year, but I decided to stay. Post-secondary education is very different from high school education. I took a college course that I dropped last year and it is nothing like a normal class. If you graduate early, you'll be less prepared for college because you'll basically be rushing a year of information and then you wouldn't have really learned anything. You'll also miss out on the different classes you could take and thus skipping key information and college preperation. You're also missing out pn a year of social development. You're basically just going to through yourself out into the real world and some people need that extra year of growth. I really don't even see an advantage of graduating early. Universities from where I'm from wouldn't care more about someone who graduated early with someone who graduated on time. School is only in session for about 200 days. I think you should enjoy that final year and not worry about graduating early. It's just adding more stress to an all ready stressful school experience.

I really appreciate your advice, you make some really good points. I've taken to this into consideration, especially since it's not the first time I've heard a lot of the cons of graduating early.

However, I still want to. I feel like there are more pros than cons for me personally. ovo' High school hasn't been the best experience for me, and it would be nice to cut it short. I've taken college prep since the 7th grade, so that's prepared me a lot for what to expect, as well as taking some AP classes.

If anything, I'll just go to a community college or junior college, then work my way up.

Though, even if I'm taking classes online this summer and can graduate early by the end of junior year, I can always change my mind and just have some extra credits I fulfilled. ^^ I'm just gonna see how things play out.

...Also, I've found where I'm going to take my classes. ^^ Advice still appreciated though on the subject ouo