Author Topic: The Lotus War (book series)  (Read 335 times)

Offline Spooky Azkre

• Work in Progress
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 254
  • Legend
    • DeviantArt - Afrodens
    • Main Site
  • Fursona Species: 'Kitsune'
The Lotus War (book series)
« on: May 14, 2016, 08:19:02 pm »
So, I made a book review, and I thought I might as well put it here too...

Bruh…

So, I just finished reading the first book in The Lotus War, Stormdancer by Jay Kristoff. (click this link for book summary if you’re interested: http://www.amazon.com/Stormdancer-Lotus-War-Book-One/dp/1250031281/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1463271485&sr=8-1&keywords=stormdancer )
This book is seriously sooooo good???

So, listen, the series is set in an almost gritty, futuristic, dystopian, fantasy, steampunk world.
Of course, it’s wrong just to leave it at that.
The world itself is an almost alternate universe, where Japan developed a different and more powerful Shogunate (probably in place of the Tokugawa Shogunate), and also discovered the use of a blood lotus as a fuel source. From there, Japan rises as the world power in technology and military strength, and they set out to conquer the world. That’s just some of the background.

Unlike your generic steampunk backgrounds, The Lotus War takes a very real look at “steampunk” as the use of blood lotus destroys the land, fuels the Machine of War, and slowly poisons the world and its people.
Also, did I mention Japanese mythology?
Yeah, that stuff is real here too.

The writing is absolutely amazing, and the characters, storyline, everything is great! The fightscenes are soooo fucking boss too (really impressive and even more for a book). Jay has a really great style of writing too, and a very provocative voice. This book had a lot of profound moments, and some were pretty real (revealing how in some aspects it’s an allegory for our world), and admittedly, the book really does have some strong and fiery ideals, language, and such (forewarning).

Honestly though, this book is fucking amazing, and I totally recommend the series! Absolutely great read (really, I feel soooooooooo glad to be reading books like this again– it’s kinda been a while with school, art, and other books)!
Please check it out dudes~
  • Pride Flag - genderfluid
  • Pride Flag - pansexual
  • Pronouns: They/She/He

Main site --> http://azkre.tumblr.com/

Offline Empire

• Red Level
  • Candies: 4
  • I hold a beast, an angel, and a madman in me.
  • Fursona Species: Tiger
Re: The Lotus War (book series)
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016, 07:24:39 pm »
I totally agree with you! I love that book so much and I loved Yukiko and her personality. The book is absolutely amazing and it made me cry at some points.
  • Pronouns: She/Her, female pronouns!