Author Topic: Do you think this is a bad idea?  (Read 1226 times)

Offline Zohma

• Red Level
  • Candy: 3
  • Yknow those times when you're a dog?
  • Fursona Species: Dog
Do you think this is a bad idea?
« on: June 09, 2016, 11:36:14 pm »
Ok so let me set a scene here. I'm a furry, and all of my immediate friends (the ones I see everyday) hate furries. Luckily they don't know I'm a furry, but they make jokes/insults at me saying I'm a furry, because I brought it up once. What's really awful about this is that I have to go along with it saying I'm not and then get stuck in this spot where I feel like I have to either say something negative about the fandom, or standing up for the fandom and getting either abondoned by my friends. In those cases I actually do neither, I sit there (fake laughing) as if it's a conversation that I enjoy.

So, because I really like the fandom I want to buy a furry related hoodie. Would this be a bad idea? Would they think of it literally, or just think I'm wearing it ironically?

P.S. I know that "real friends will accept me for who I am" but I don't have any other friends in the school, so losing them would really not be preferable right now.
  • Pronouns: He/him/his

Offline Omaha

• FT's Resident Daycare Worker
  • Blue Level
  • Candy: 78
  • Profile Pic by Aspen!
  • Fursona Species: Blythe Cat
Re: Do you think this is a bad idea?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2016, 12:04:44 am »
Ooh, now this is a tough one. You have almost the same situation as me. About 5 or so of my immediate friends hate furries. (The funny thing is, one of them likes kitty0706) I still have this problem, but I ended up telling my most trusted friend. I asked people about their opinions on furries, and eventually my friend said he was fine with the non sexual furries. I told him and he was really chill about it. To be honest, I'm not sure if he thought I was serious or joking. Anyway, what I'm saying is that you should ask your (non haters/neutral/unknown) friends about their thoughts on furries.

Post Script
Earlier today, I saw a girl I(am pretty sure) have heard about/seen around wearing this headband with blue and white ears and she was hanging out with some of my other friends. Have I found another furry? Also, if it's who I think it is, then she's my 10 year old brother's best friend's sister. I have yet to contact her, which I will definately try to do.

My fingers are numb...
~Len
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 12:33:45 am by Len McKinley »
  • Flag - usa
  • Pride Flag - nonbinary
  • Pronouns: They/them/their (he/him/his for Omaha)
Nolite te Bastardes Carborundorum.

Offline Serana

• Autumn Seer
  • Purple Level
  • Candy: 298
  • Edgy and Proud
    • DeviantArt - WolfGodess12
    • FurAffinity - SnowFeline
    • Twitter - SnowFelineArts
    • Weasyl - SnowFeline
  • Fursona Species: Fruit Bat
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2016, 12:12:35 am »
I think whether your friends like it or not just buy it and wear if you want to :3
So yeah I don't think its a bad thing, if they ask just say you thought it looked cool. I mean even if your a non-fur those things always look cute/cool and different anyway.
I guess I personally just don't care if other people know I'm a furry or not and non furs wears those things too^^
  • Flag - usa
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - demisexual
  • Pride Flag - nonbinary
  • Pronouns: She/Her or They/them, Fem. terms preferred.

Proud Otherkin and slightly ashamed Fictionkin
Don't take things I say very seriously, I tend to joke around.

|Twitter / ToyHou.se / FurAffinity / ThisCrush / Public Queue|

Offline Zohma

• Red Level
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2016, 12:14:51 am »
Ooh, now this is a tough one. You have almost the same situation as me. About 5 or so of my immediate friends hate furries. (The funny thing is, one of them likes kitty0706) I still have this problem, but I ended up telling my most trusted friend. I asked people about their opinions on furries, and eventually my friend said he was fine with the non sexual furries. I told him and he was really chill about it. To be honest, I'm not sure if he thought I was serious or joking. Anyway, what I'm saying is that you should ask your (non haters/neutral/unknown) friends about their thoughts on furries.

My fingers are numb...
~Len

I have tried to tell one friend a little while ago over text because she moved ( that's the only reason I actually told her). She didn't know what they were so I explained it, she didn't seem to hate the sound of it right in the very beginning. But about 3 minutes later she just stopped texting me  :(. Because of that I haven't told anyone else... So I really don't know :/...

Offline Zohma

• Red Level
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2016, 12:19:07 am »
I think whether your friends like it or not just buy it and wear if you want to :3
So yeah I don't think its a bad thing, if they ask just say you thought it looked cool. I mean even if your a non-fur those things always look cute/cool and different anyway.
I guess I personally just don't care if other people know I'm a furry or not and non furs wears those things too^^

I suppose that is pretty true.. I might just do it then, thanks :)

Offline Dyno Fluff

• Will you be loving me forever...
  • Blue Level
  • ... Or will you be loving me just tonight?
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2016, 01:40:48 am »
I'd say don't give them another reason to tease you.
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His
♪ How do I say goodbye to what we had? The good times that made us laugh, outweigh the bad. I thought we'd get to see forever, but forever's gone away. It's so hard to say goodbye to yesterday♪
The Chaotix animated by AndrewHDz

Offline Omaha

• Blue Level
  • Profile Pic by Aspen!
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2016, 01:43:53 am »
What does the hoodie look like, anyway? I might want one some day (soon).
  • Flag - usa
  • Pride Flag - nonbinary

Offline Zohma

• Red Level
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2016, 01:47:41 am »
Not sure yet. Just something basic and not super flashy, with a clear furry design of some kind on it. If I find something I'll send you a link ;)

Offline Omaha

• Blue Level
  • Profile Pic by Aspen!
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2016, 01:52:40 am »
I just had a flashback to when I had a dream where I was some sort of bad ass assassin that had an animal hoodie. I had the dream a good 2 - 3 months before I was a furry.
Also,

<3
  • Flag - usa
  • Pride Flag - nonbinary

Offline Lumix

• Wish you could save this place
  • Orange Level
  • Candy: 21
  • The way you save your face
  • Fursona Species: Grey Wolf
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2016, 02:05:47 am »
What I do is try and be subtle when asking them about their thoughts on Furries and if their reaction is positive then tell them, if it's not then don't tell them. I tested this out with my best friend and it went like this: ME: "If I told you I was a furry what would you think?" HIM: "I'd be fine with it but I'd think you were a bit weird." So with that I haven't told him I am. Best of luck!

Also with these hoodies, my friends and I were looking at this one from lemonbrat.com

(Sorry I'm not sure how to downscale images :/)
Super cute but also quite expensive. The company doesn't have the best record either :?
P

Offline Omaha

• Blue Level
  • Profile Pic by Aspen!
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2016, 02:07:24 am »
What I do is try and be subtle when asking them about their thoughts on Furries and if their reaction is positive then tell them, if it's not then don't tell them. I tested this out with my best friend and it went like this: ME: "If I told you I was a furry what would you think?" HIM: "I'd be fine with it but I'd think you were a bit weird." So with that I haven't told him I am. Best of luck!

Also with these hoodies, my friends and I were looking at this one from lemonbrat.com

Super cute but also quite expensive. The company doesn't have the best record either :?
I saw that one, too. I might save up for a custom one.
  • Flag - usa
  • Pride Flag - nonbinary

Offline Omaha

• Blue Level
  • Profile Pic by Aspen!
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2016, 02:13:54 am »
This is like the hoodie from my dream.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 02:16:18 am by Len McKinley »
  • Flag - usa
  • Pride Flag - nonbinary

Offline Tappie

• Psychology & Sociology Reasearcher.
  • Orange Level
  • Candy: 18
  • Who Am I?
  • Fursona Species: Manokit
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2016, 05:19:28 am »
Ok so let me set a scene here. I'm a furry, and all of my immediate friends (the ones I see everyday) hate furries. Luckily they don't know I'm a furry, but they make jokes/insults at me saying I'm a furry, because I brought it up once. What's really awful about this is that I have to go along with it saying I'm not and then get stuck in this spot where I feel like I have to either say something negative about the fandom, or standing up for the fandom and getting either abondoned by my friends. In those cases I actually do neither, I sit there (fake laughing) as if it's a conversation that I enjoy.

So, because I really like the fandom I want to buy a furry related hoodie. Would this be a bad idea? Would they think of it literally, or just think I'm wearing it ironically?

P.S. I know that "real friends will accept me for who I am" but I don't have any other friends in the school, so losing them would really not be preferable right now.
nah, you can talk shit about this fandom (that's what i always do :p)
But yes, you can buy that furry hoodie, because why not?
You still can say that you hate furry in that hoodie, and they may take it as a joke. (Haha, i still deny that i'm a furry to my friends even when i draw furry art in front of them)

Once again, why not?
Please excuse my english
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 06:44:04 am by A.X.O »
  • Pride Flag - asexual

Four Legendary Hunters are here.
To defend innocents, and Seize all villain.

Offline Zohma

• Red Level
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2016, 05:22:22 pm »

You still can say that you hate furry in that hoodie, and they may take it as a joke. (Haha, i still deny that i'm a furry to my friends even when i draw furry art in front of them)

Once again, why not?
Please excuse my english

Thanks man :) I'll find one I like and buy it. I mean what's literally the worst that can happen?

Offline Echo(Damien)

• Seer
  • Green Level
  • Candy: 55
  • Canadian Milo Yiannopolous
    • DeviantArt - Deatox
    • FurAffinity - SeanFox
  • Fursona Species: Skunk
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2016, 05:32:49 pm »

Once again, why not?
Please excuse my english

Thanks man :) I'll find one I like and buy it. I mean what's literally the worst that can happen?

I say do it, true friends wouldn't make fun of you for that stuff. If you lose them just find a new group of friends, that's what I did.
  • Flag - canada
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
I watch the clock tick-tock
Been saving all the green that I got
I can't wait to kick off my work shoes

Leave your love letters here!
Icon by me

Offline attackgamer33

• Red Level
  • Candy: 1
  • Fursona Species: don't have a fursona :/
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2016, 12:52:56 am »

I feel you a lot on this one, I'd say continue what you're doing, buy the hoodie and make sure they think you're wearing it ironically, and "make fun" of the furry fandom with your friends and then pray for forgiveness or something
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
*insert funny/clever thing here*

Offline Vesper

• It's all shits and giggles until someone giggles and shits :]
  • Orange Level
  • Candy: 17
  • I'm almost afraid of the man I've grown into
  • Fursona Species: German Shepherd
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2016, 03:10:07 am »
When i ran into this problem, i just told everyone that thought negative about furries to shut their damn mouths and listen to me for half an hour explaining why they are not bad. If they fail to comply, i talked down something they liked (One kid who made fun of me a lot got really upset after i trashed talked him about his anime addiction. That got him to shut up for a while). And if they still fail to listen to you wether its because of pure ignorance or looking from a bad prospective, i just leave them.

A real friend is not someone who you just talk to on a regular basis. A friend is someone who will always be by your side no matter what happens. I consider my friends the  people who are comfortable with my personality, sexuality, habits, and just me in general. You may talk to your friends more often than other people, but whats the point if they're just going to bring you down?
So choose your friends wisely is what im saying.
  • Flag - mexico
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His/It

Offline Zohma

• Red Level
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2016, 03:27:50 am »
When i ran into this problem, i just told everyone that thought negative about furries to shut their damn mouths and listen to me for half an hour explaining why they are not bad. If they fail to comply, i talked down something they liked (One kid who made fun of me a lot got really upset after i trashed talked him about his anime addiction. That got him to shut up for a while). And if they still fail to listen to you wether its because of pure ignorance or looking from a bad prospective, i just leave them.

A real friend is not someone who you just talk to on a regular basis. A friend is someone who will always be by your side no matter what happens. I consider my friends the  people who are comfortable with my personality, sexuality, habits, and just me in general. You may talk to your friends more often than other people, but whats the point if they're just going to bring you down?
So choose your friends wisely is what im saying.
As I briefly said in another message, I tried to tell one friend who moved, because I thought she would accept me. She didn't. So it makes it hard to try and tell other people, you know? You make a good point, and I am trying to make other friends outside of my sh*tty friend circle. Slowly but surly I suppose...

Offline MovieMeerkat

• SPACE FORCE!
  • Yellow Level
  • Candy: 50
  • Profile pic made by Shope!
    • FurAffinity - thefilmfox
  • Fursona Species: Meerkat
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2016, 08:32:11 am »
Personally I would just buy it. Wearing a furry-related hoodie doesn't necessarily mean that you're a furry (even though you are) and you can just tell your friends that you thought it looked cool and that you didn't even think about it being furry related when you bought it.

Although these friends aren't exactly being the nicest with teasing furries. I'm also sorry about the friend that moved. I only told my best friend over text, and she was super accepting and non-judging. I had to tell her that it was non-sexual and explain a bit of the fandom, but she even said that she wouldn't judge me even if I was into the sexual stuff. Are you sure you don't know anyone supportive like that? I think it's horrible that you have to sit through your friends teasing you without them even knowing. Hopefully you'll be able to make some new kinder friends sometime soon.
  • Flag - usa
  • Pride Flag - gay
:fox-:P: I look like the FT emoji because I AM the FT emoji  :fox-:P:
Film of the week: Cloverfield (2008)

Offline .:♠AᴘᴘʟᴇJᴜɴᴋɪᴇ♠:.

• 2Spoopy4u
  • Orange Level
  • Candy: 9
    • DeviantArt - XxbloodyumbreonxX
  • Fursona Species: Snow leopard/antelope hybrid
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2016, 09:46:04 am »
Tell them your mom bought it and made you wear it, easy.
  • Pronouns: She, her, hers