Author Topic: Horror Movies/Games/Series Recommendations & Reviews  (Read 752 times)

Offline Graham

• 50% moth, 50% man
  • Cookies: 74
  • 100% boyfriend material
  • Fursona Species: Death's Head Moth
Horror Movies/Games/Series Recommendations & Reviews
« on: June 12, 2016, 05:19:49 pm »
I'm a really big horror fan. I adore all things creepy or suspenseful, but particularly psychological stuff; jump scares aren't exactly my first choice. I cannot stand the basic "family moving into an old house and wow, now it's haunted!" plot, but it seems that's most of what I've found, nowadays. Let's see... what are my top picks?
To set a basic format:
Title (Movie/Game/etc.) x/5 rating: plot with minimal spoilers and your thoughts

The Forest (Movie) 3/5: A woman is going to look for her sister after she disappears into a forest infamous for suicides. The ending is pretty predictable, but it's enjoyable.
The Lazarus Effect (Movie) 3/5: A group of medical students found a way to bring the dead back to life. It plays a lot with the human mind, and that's mostly why it's enjoyable.
Oculus (Movie) 5/5: A pair of siblings try to destroy cursed mirror, and it plays countless tricks on their minds. This is without a doubt my favorite horror movie, it plays with your perception of what's true and what's false.

Marble Hornets (Webseries) 5/5: A film maker gives up on his project when it's almost done, and no one can figure out why until someone goes through the old footage, years later. This is such a good series! We're soulbonding Jay, right now!  There are some confusing elements, but I don't think words can describe how much I love this series.
EverymanHYBRID (Webseries) 4/5: A trio of college students attempt to make a YouTube channel to fitness, but they end up capturing some spooky things on camera. This is incredibly confusing, and it wasn't until I watched Night Mind's videos that I understood what was happening.
Krampus (Movie) 4/5: A family has a number of Christmas-y creatures reign terror upon their home while they just try to enjoy the festivities. If you're looking for a scary movie, this probably isn't the best choice. This whole movie is just a compilation of dark humor, and I wasn't sure if I wanted to include this on my list, anyway.
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - genderqueer
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pronouns: They/Them/Their
  • Award - Graphic Artist

dancer, amateur writer, and destroyer of West Virginia bridges
Avatar by tsukiko26 & Signature Icon by zerlc

Offline KaiTuyt

• Level 26 Detective
  • Red Level
  • Cookies: 1
  • I forgot how to do it. Again.
  • Fursona Species: Kitsune
Re: Horror Movies/Games/Series Recommendations & Reviews
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2016, 11:21:49 pm »
Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors (Game) 4/5: Nine people are captured and forced to escape a ship within 9 hours or they all die. More of a visual novel with puzzles, but is still pretty scary and makes you think. The other two games (Virtue's Last Reward and Zero Time Dilemma) are also very exciting and suspenseful, but the first one has a darker tone so far.
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His
You are the ocean's grey waves
Destined to seek life beyond the shore, just out of reach
Yet the waters ever change, flowing like time
The path is yours to climb

Offline Ari~

• Green Level
  • Cookies: 61
  • go home, tatsumaki
  • Fursona Species: Canine
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 12:17:23 am »
Danganronpa. Love that anime! 13 episodes of crime drama/comedy/mystery awesomeness! I can't say too much about it without spoiling. There's going to be a 3rd season in July!
  • Flag - usa
  • Pride Flag - pansexual
  • Pride Flag - nonbinary
  • Pronouns: They/them/their

:lgbtheart: Taken by Pyra :lgbtheart:

Offline Graham

• 50% moth, 50% man
  • Cookies: 74
  • 100% boyfriend material
  • Fursona Species: Death's Head Moth
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2016, 10:04:06 pm »
Danganronpa. Love that anime! 13 episodes of crime drama/comedy/mystery awesomeness! I can't say too much about it without spoiling. There's going to be a 3rd season in July!
Another season? That's cool. The anime was my life back in 2014, you got me excited.
Since I feel like I should include this:
Fran Bow (Game) 4/5: A ten-year-old girl's parents lose their lives in a macabre way, and she ends up in a hospital for mentally ill children. It has puzzles that are just confusing enough that I can figure them out with some thinking, so it's pretty fun. 
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - genderqueer
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pronouns: They/Them/Their
  • Award - Graphic Artist

dancer, amateur writer, and destroyer of West Virginia bridges
Avatar by tsukiko26 & Signature Icon by zerlc

Offline Kobe

• Orange Level
  • Cookies: 15
    • FurAffinity - Kagemori
  • Fursona Species: Siberian Husky
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2016, 10:51:10 pm »
Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors (Game) 4/5: Nine people are captured and forced to escape a ship within 9 hours or they all die. More of a visual novel with puzzles, but is still pretty scary and makes you think. The other two games (Virtue's Last Reward and Zero Time Dilemma) are also very exciting and suspenseful, but the first one has a darker tone so far.
I second this ^^ and I do agree that 999 is a lot more darker than Virtue's Last Reward. When I explain the game to others they say it sounds like Saw.

I'm not a big fan of horror (I dislike jumpscares/loud noises a lot), but I do like the more psychological horror themes.

Corpse Party (Game) 3/5: The series is horror but the later installments seems more drama than horror in my opinion, kinda like Resident Evil 6.
Resident Evil: Revelations (Game) 3/5: The game has a mix of horror and action but I felt there was a better horror "feel" than RE6.
Elfen Lied (Anime/Show) 3/5: An anime about a group of people who have "invisible hands" called Vectors that can cut anything it touches. The anime has a lot of gore/decapitation/amputation etc. and nudity.
Paranoia Agent (Anime/Show) 4/5: Let's just say that this show is a total mind f- break. Each person showed in the story is affected by a unknown being called "Lil' Slugger" ("Bat Boy" in Japanese), randomly attacks the people and this causes panic in the city.
Psycho Pass (Anime/Show) 5/5: I thoroughly enjoyed this show ^^ The anime is about a style of society and with it law enforcement that seems to be the perfect system to maintain peace and reduce criminal activity and questions it's perfection. It's really good although I do have to say their second season isn't in my opinion as good as the first.
"And so the dust finally settles."

Offline Ari~

• Green Level
  • Cookies: 61
  • go home, tatsumaki
  • Fursona Species: Canine
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2016, 02:53:28 pm »
Another season? That's cool. The anime was my life back in 2014, you got me excited.
Since I feel like I should include this:
Fran Bow (Game) 4/5: A ten-year-old girl's parents lose their lives in a macabre way, and she ends up in a hospital for mentally ill children. It has puzzles that are just confusing enough that I can figure them out with some thinking, so it's pretty fun. 

I'm not a fan of horror games, but I really want to get that!

The girl looks like Chara. What if this was Chara's backstory!?
  • Flag - usa
  • Pride Flag - pansexual
  • Pride Flag - nonbinary
  • Pronouns: They/them/their

:lgbtheart: Taken by Pyra :lgbtheart:

Offline Sashkatheblufox

• Basically Team Mystic
  • Red Level
  • Cookies: 8
  • One of many furs who Main as Howitzer in Paragon
  • Fursona Species: Fox/Wolf/Husky
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2016, 11:11:00 am »
I HIGHLY recommend the Alien Trilogy (we dont talk about Alien Resurrection...), my favorite line of movies, books, and games. But on the gaming side (I'm a huge gamer) Resident Evil, Alien: Isolation, and maybe Evil Within. x3

Offline Adrian the Goat

• Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 37
  • Fursona Species: Goat
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2016, 10:13:40 pm »
Although not a horror game by nature, I quite enjoyed The Bunker. The Bunker is a new generation full motion video game about a lonely man in a post-apocalyptic bunker in England following the death of his mother. He tries living a normal life following a routine set fourth by his new deceased mother, but something goes wrong, leading him to break from the routine and re-discover the cold past of his childhood in the bunker. It's a brand new game for PlayStation 4, Steam, and XBOX ONE. If you're like me and can't afford the $20 price, you can simply watch gameplay videos on YouTube and get the same experience. Being an F.M.V. game, it's more of a movie than it is a video game. It uses very basic and linear gameplay mechanics, but it does utilize some tricks that only work in video games. It does have a very good story though, and it makes for a very good movie, but not so much a game. I should also note that The Bunker is more suspenseful than horrific. Majority of the horror comes from the feeling of isolation however, there are a few scares towards the end of the game, and it's extremely dark in plot throughout.
  • Flag - usa
  • Pride Flag - bisexual