Author Topic: Need some ideas.  (Read 467 times)

Offline LoyalPyra

• icon by serana, pixels by graham and cutgut.
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 129
  • Armenian american
    • DeviantArt - timeitcorrectly
    • FurAffinity - timeitcorrectly
    • Twitter - @TimeItCorrectly
  • Fursona Species: Protogen
Need some ideas.
« on: July 10, 2016, 01:58:34 pm »
I want to make a game, but I don't know what I should make it about or know what to do on story, plot, location, time, any ideas?
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Flag - armenia
  • Site Donor
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - pansexual
  • Pronouns: she/her/hers
  • Award - Graphic Artist
Taken by nastybread

Online flurrin

• Purple Level
  • Candies: 128
  • sushi dog
Re: Need some ideas.
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 03:19:11 pm »
you're making a game? What kind ;P
Pick a genre or look at existing stories see what ya like
look at a map and choose somewhere random? or make up a fantasy place
  • Flag - britain
  • Award - Holiday Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - androgynous
  • Pronouns: any
profile pic by ShopePapilloma

Offline Dyno Fluff

• Will you be loving me forever...
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 78
  • ... Or will you be loving me just tonight?
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 03:30:48 pm »
Well I don't know if I should give you a specific idea, otherwise it would be my game, but here a few things to think about that will make the process of creating easier. What genre of game are you looking for here? Does the game have any sort of interesting and/or unique mechanic? What makes the game unique? Are you looking for a game with an interesting story/gameplay/mix?

If you want me to start you off with an idea, make a game based around a guy who controls powers of ice. You know, like magic that ye can use the can use it to make bridges across bodies if water. Use it in combat, and there are many interesting puzzeos you can do based around ice as well.
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His
♪ How do I say goodbye to what we had? The good times that made us laugh, outweigh the bad. I thought we'd get to see forever, but forever's gone away. It's so hard to say goodbye to yesterday♪
The Chaotix animated by AndrewHDz

Offline Kambo

• Personally knew Abe Lincoln
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 85
  • True story.
    • DeviantArt - kamboblack
    • FurAffinity - harlan
    • Twitter - kamboblack
    • Weasyl - harlan
    • Unfinished Portfolio Site :(
  • Fursona Species: Grey fox
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 08:01:33 pm »
To me, the best games are the ones that efficiently tell the story through the gameplay itself, not through journals, dialogue, etc. So ask yourself what kind of game you want to make. What mechanics to you want to use, what's the camera angle, the style, anything. Start somewhere and build the story off that.

Some examples: Braid told it's story through the mechanic of being able to not die by reversing time. Undertale told it's story through the options you had in combat. The concept of the story of Dark Souls is based entirely on what happens when your character dies over and over.

Marry your story and your gameplay together, sprinkle in some good design ideas on top, and you got yourself a winner!
  • Award - Beta Tester
Feel free to PM me, I don't bite! I reserve that treatment for sushi and pretzels.

Fursona References (Kambo and Camille)

Offline Dyno Fluff

• Will you be loving me forever...
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 78
  • ... Or will you be loving me just tonight?
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 09:11:56 pm »
To me, the best games are the ones that efficiently tell the story through the gameplay itself, not through journals, dialogue, etc. So ask yourself what kind of game you want to make. What mechanics to you want to use, what's the camera angle, the style, anything. Start somewhere and build the story off that.

Some examples: Braid told it's story through the mechanic of being able to not die by reversing time. Undertale told it's story through the options you had in combat. The concept of the story of Dark Souls is based entirely on what happens when your character dies over and over.

Marry your story and your gameplay together, sprinkle in some good design ideas on top, and you got yourself a winner!

Not all games need stories to be great. It was only late into the release of Minecraft did they even give the player a purpose to fulfill. Also, games lacking any solid story or backstory gives the player lots to think about, and lots of interpretation to be done, but this doesn't mean that the game would be bad. In fact, that sort of situation is usually ends in a lot of theories, which people may not realise how fun it actually is to theorise. To make up for all the loose ends though, the gameplay has to good, and  there has to be other redeeming factors like comedic value for example. A good example of using comedy as a replacement for story could be Conker's bad fur day. It's regarded as a pretty good game despite not having a story that makes sense whatsoever. The same applies for the opposite too. Some games have hardly any gameplay at all, like many telltale games, but a lot of people enjoy playing them.
♪ How do I say goodbye to what we had? The good times that made us laugh, outweigh the bad. I thought we'd get to see forever, but forever's gone away. It's so hard to say goodbye to yesterday♪
The Chaotix animated by AndrewHDz

Offline Adrian the Goat

• Yellow Level
  • Candies: 37
  • Fursona Species: Goat
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2016, 09:48:53 pm »
As a writer, I can help with some brainstorming ideas to help get you started. With any story, you first have to know what genre you're in. Genre can effect a lot of things and help you to develop a better idea of what the story needs to be. You can read around about some different genres and see which one you'd like to make the game about. It may take you a while for an idea to fully reach its maturity, but that's perfectly normal. Every idea begins with a simple thesis that says something is happening to a subject. In the next stage of the idea, it needs to be given a reason to further define what's happeninh. With the last stage of brainstorming, you have to come up with a conflict that creates a problem for the subject. The story expands even more as it goes on with different stages to resolve the presented conflict. Be sure to integrate your gameplay with your story somthat the gameplay serves a purpose in the story. It also helps to involve the player in the story of the game. If you'd like anymore help with brainstroming, don't be afraid to message me on here, and I'll be more than willing to help!
  • Flag - usa
  • Pride Flag - bisexual

Offline Ember the Dragon

• MLP Dragon
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 66
  • Pony lover
    • DeviantArt - DuskeyFox
    • FurAffinity - DuskCyote
    • Twitter - @Rainbow_Dusk
  • Fursona Species: Dragon
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2016, 03:50:21 am »
RPG games are pretty fun and somewhat easy to come up with if you have a good story for it, just make up a story and find a way to make it into a game
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt participant
  • Pronouns: He/him/his

Offline Dazed

• Hell0
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 73
  • icon base by Baronessa
    • DeviantArt - DazedMongoliensis
  • Fursona Species: Furred Raptor
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2016, 03:52:46 am »
Stop.
Just stop there.
You're not going to get anywhere unless if you can program.
The big question is
Can you program, and with what?
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: Dont care
Looking to chat? Skype is on my profile page, and you can ask me for my steam.

Offline TodTheFox

• Licensed Lazy Loiterer
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 49
  • Fursona Species: Red Fox
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2016, 09:17:28 am »
Stop.
Just stop there.
You're not going to get anywhere unless if you can program.
The big question is
Can you program, and with what?

That is technically inaccurate. With many of the new Game Development Applications, you can get your start working while circumventing the requirement to ever have to write a single line of solid code. Yes, you can say virtual scripting is just a form of programming and yes that's true but it's a lot easier than programming something like C++ or Java and they still teach the core fundamentals of programming, knowledge that can be taken and applied to pretty much any other programming languages out there. And if you don't want to personally learn to program there thousands of people out there who already understand the languages like Java and C++ who would jump on the opportunity to get practice helping a game if they like your idea and entire websites dedicated just to bring teams together to bring game ideas to reality.

So no, the big question is not, can you program? The real big question:

Are you absolutely sure you want to make game and are you prepared for the challenges making a game has to offer? Yes making simple games on programs like Scratch or App Inventor can be quite effortless if you get the hang of the applications, the difficulty associated with games drastically upscales as your ambitions for your games grows and the complexity of your own ideas forces you to use more and more powerful tools until you are looking at Industry grade applications like Unity, Unreal, and the like. The bigger the project the more challenging and complex problems you will encounter on your way to completion.

I hate to say it but make no mistake, leading titles are made by teams of hundreds of people, Indie games are so small because they simply don't have the Manpower or resources to make games any larger and are forced to innovate within their limits. Video games are a hard business just considering the struggles associated with making the actual game let alone the business aspects of marketing and such. Even making games as a hobby can be quite straining, games take skills from a wide range of different schools of thoughts and disparate vocations. It's not for everyone and just being an ardent gamer with a deep passion for games absolutely does not guarantee you will  actually enjoy making games.

All that said, I certainly won't stop from trying, no I encourage you to give it a whorl with a small project and if you have any questions about the Game Development I would certainly to be happy to answer them or to help you to find the answers you seek. I also direct you as I have done for so many others to my thread right here on FT for resources to learn programming: www.furryteens.org/forum/index.php?topic=21183.0

If you in the process of developing your game you find some associated vocation like Programming, Designing, Art Asset Creation , Sound Effect Artist, etc, I highly encourage you to try out that skill further, after all, you don't have to be a jack of all trades, you can always find other people whose skills and interests complement your own to help you with the process. If you do enjoy Game Development, pursue it, no matter how hard it can get, it's worth it if you really do like the work. But if you find yourself constantly losing interest and not feeling passion for the hard work that goes into the process it might be wise to rethink your decision to take up Game Development.

As always, if you have any questions or need help I would be delighted to help you find the information you seek and the tools that can you help along your path.

~ TodTheFox
  • Pride Flag - asexual

Online Undertaker

• "Do you want to see how it feels to sleep in my custom-made coffins?"
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 80
  • "How sad it would be, should laughter disappear."
    • DeviantArt - BluefoxLongtail
    • FurAffinity - sprite-limehead
  • Fursona Species: Retired Shinigami
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2017, 01:31:43 pm »
Well, game creation is very very difficult. You always need story. Because you don't want to end up like another first person shooter. But of course, unless you want the attention of the most intellectual groups (nerds and geeks), you can't have too detailed a story. You don't want it to be like The Day The World Broke from the now defunct company HMI (Personally that's nearly my favorite, but that's beside the point.). Most games that are not educational or informational are mysteries or story based. Story/Movie based games should be avoided unless the maker is a well established company with a lot of money to buy rights to copyrights. If this is your first game, you should do a mystery. An example is The Cluefinders Series. Yes, it's educational, but it also has a good mystery for the age group that would be playing. Then of course you could do a cliché, such as a damsel in distress, or for that matter you could make a twist, and put the lady in the powerful role. My favorite example, although it wasn't a cliché for it's time, is Prince of Persia, the original game. Then there is a final type of game called the simulator. Famous examples include SimCity, RollerCoaster Tycoon, Zoo Tycoon, and Agriculture Simulator. These have no story, and are just simulations of real circumstances. Although there's a handful of others such as historic story games, they nearly all fit in those categories. You then have to imagine your audience. If you're making it for little children, you can't get detailed in any sense. If you're making it for say 12+ you have to flesh out greatly, and use a complex storyline, else the game is finished with in a single day. The currently most popular gamer market is teenagers to young adults.

My suggestion is to choose mystery. I actually wrote a storyline for a game I never finished, and if you want it, I can dig it up and PM it to you. If you ever need help with programming I'm happy to help.

- Sincerely, Marvin.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pride Flag - omnisexual

GIFs are the property of their respective owners.

ThisCrush | SoundCloud | AMA/Q&A | Have something to ask me? (Off-site)
ENTJ | Field Marshall | ♥ The wonderful young lady, that I love. (click) ♥