Do you identify as nonhuman?

Yes
6 (20.7%)
No
18 (62.1%)
Questioning
5 (17.2%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Author Topic: The Overlap of Otherkin/Nonhuman Identities and Furries  (Read 656 times)

Offline Graham

• Cookies: 136
  • Fursona Species: Moth
The Overlap of Otherkin/Nonhuman Identities and Furries
« on: July 21, 2016, 01:44:35 pm »
I spend quite a bit of time on another site dedicated to otherkin. I noticed that a good number of people there were also furries, and I figured I might as well ask others if they also fall into both categories. For anyone who is unfamilar with otherkin, therians, vampires, and such, here is a useful resource.

I, myself, am both otherkin and a furry. I originally awoke almost two years ago, and I've been questioning a canine theriotype, recently.
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - homoflexible
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His
  • Award - Graphic Artist
greetings from lanulos

Offline Echo(Damien)

• Seer
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 55
  • Canadian Milo Yiannopolous
    • DeviantArt - Deatox
    • FurAffinity - SeanFox
  • Fursona Species: Skunk
Re: The Overlap of Otherkin/Nonhuman Identities and Furries
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 02:53:47 pm »
The way I identify as my kintype is...different and hard to explain. Like how Tidal is a second soul weaved to my soul and how I've seen future lives where I'm Mirrorflight. Speaking of that, I'm wondering if I'm not Mirrorflight and I'm another dragon who was hatched in the same brood. The reason I'm starting to think this is because I 1.See everything from a first person view and I have a voice 2.I never see the black dragon who follows Mirror and 3. The first person view has appeared in every vision after the one where I first saw the brood hatch. Ew I just explained lore about my visions, I hope this didn't spoil any of them by doing this...
  • Flag - canada
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
I watch the clock tick-tock
Been saving all the green that I got
I can't wait to kick off my work shoes

Leave your love letters here!
Icon by me

Offline Ember

• Red Level
  • Cookies: 4
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2016, 01:30:38 am »
I don't identify as otherkin at the moment, but I do tend to have phantom limbs in the form of shifting my ears like a cat, dog, or horse as well as a tail hitting and swinging around my legs. Wings also became a factor more recently and would not think of stretching nowadays without flexing them as well. One of the largest things for me is having animal mannerisms since I was young with things like barking, howling, neighing, and growling.   

Offline Adrian the Goat

• Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 38
  • Fursona Species: Goat
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 10:07:15 pm »
I don't see myself as a non-human in any way, shape, or form. I do, however, know that many people in the fandom also identify as Otherkin. Otherkin beliefs are actually something that can be manifested in the fandom as such. When we have our fursonas, it connects us to the species that we choose to represent ourselves with. This connection helps us in a way that not many other things can. It helps us figure who in life we are. This can lead to grand discoveries at one's inner self. Some of the Otherkin are actually some of the most dedicated furries because they relate so much to the fandom, and it's a way for them to be who they want to be. I, for one, am not an Otherkin, but I do connect and relate with my fursona whole heartedly. I can completely understand Otherkin and the fandom and how it's assisted them become who they are.
  • Flag - usa
  • Pride Flag - bisexual

Online Lavandia~☆

• High five, low five, all that.
  • Purple Level
  • Cookies: 143
  • FT's Official Cadbury Egg™ | Icon by me!
    • DeviantArt - FoxiRavenheart
    • Quotev
  • Fursona Species: Halcandran
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2019, 11:05:17 pm »
Fictionkin furry here. Always shifted, fox ears, fox tail, and most prominent of all, feathered wings. But, a fox is not my kin type, at all. There's still a reason for the ears and tail, buuuuut I'll leave that unmentioned.
My wings get cramped a lot, so I have to stretch them a lot. I also use them in reactions to things. It's weird, having traits that I can feel but no one can see.
  • Flag - usa
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Pride Flag - demigirl
  • Pronouns: She/her/hers or he/him/his
:lgbtheart:xxxx- dA - xxxxx xxxxx - AMA -xxxx:lgbtheart:

tbh, were y'all really expecting anything non-Kirby related?

Offline batty ♡

• FT's #1 pink bat
  • Board Moderator
  • Cookies: 182
  • icon(c): Serana
    • DeviantArt - heartsickdreams
    • FurAffinity - inkedspace
    • Twitter - heartsickdreams
  • Fursona Species: leaf nosed bat
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2019, 11:13:31 pm »
No, I'm not otherkin or therian. I actually like being human and feel no 'spiritual' connection to anything related to it, especially since I don't believe in anything spiritual. I just like anthro animals (not as much as I like humans tho, tbh)

I did pretend to be animals when I was a kid, but that was just me being a furry without knowing lol
  • Flag - usa
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt silver
  • Award - Halloween Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Pride Flag - demisexual
  • Pronouns: they/them/their or she/her
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Offline Julian

• Blue Level
  • Cookies: 96
    • DeviantArt - PrinceDeathDefying
    • FurAffinity - gotebloke
    • Twitter - kingofbirds_
  • Fursona Species: Beast
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2019, 01:28:57 am »
Hmm... sort of? I've feel like I've been in a kind of questioning mindset of it since I learned what otherkin and therians were (at least 2-3 years). I don't really understand my own feelings, and often invalidate myself because I feel like I don't experience enough of what a therian should, or I feel like it's stupid/cringy for me to feel that way, etc. The truth is, I probably qualify, but mentally reject it due to many factors. I'm also mainly agnostic and have trouble seeing anything spiritual as real but I suppose it's possible - and the more I read about 'species dysphoria' (an actual documented psychological condition, apparently) I could grasp the concept of being a psychological otherkin...
  • Flag - denmark
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: he/they/any neutral
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (US): 1-800-273-8255
{ Open Adopts | Avatar - Noble1777}

Offline Serana

• Resident Seer
  • Purple Level
  • Cookies: 337
  • In the moon I see everything!
    • DeviantArt - WolfGodess12
    • FurAffinity - SnowFeline
    • Twitter - SnowFelineArts
    • Weasyl - SnowFeline
  • Fursona Species: Gem
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2019, 01:53:07 am »
I'm otherkin and fictionkin, though I wont say what my fictotype is my kintypes are polymorph(though questioning as of late) and felines though I identify more closely with leopards and domestic cats(feline-clado therian which means I identify as all cats) I dont see myself as a spiritual otherkin despite not only believing in spiritual stuff but also multi-verses and reincarnation, I just have always loved and felt a strong connection with cats since I was little, I actually use to believe I was a cat in a past life si maybe its spiritual in some way but I havent experianced anything spiritual otherkin experiance so i just think i adopted the identity from childhood and it just never left ^^"
I found the furry community due to looking for more people like me so my first impression of furries is I thought they were otherkin till i saw people talking specifically about otherkin/therians XD

I use to be active in the community but it was kinda elitist at times and most people were spiritual otherkin so I just couldnt relate and then I made the furry community my home ^^
  • Flag - usa
  • Pride Flag - nonbinary
  • Pronouns: She/They but fem. terms preferred

Proud Otherkin and slightly ashamed Fictionkin
Don't take things I say very seriously, I tend to joke around.
Icon by Me

|Twitter / ToyHou.se / FurAffinity / ThisCrush / Public Queue|

Offline jello_magmortar

• icon by raven.
  • Blue Level
  • Cookies: 148
  • drinking tea in a tree somewhere.
    • DeviantArt - jellomagmortar
    • Twitter - @wishesmilkyway
  • Fursona Species: bat/dragon mix, and space dino
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2019, 08:20:03 pm »
i am kin and a furry, though not kin with an animal. however, i did have wings and i miss being able to fly. i have astral wings at times.

however, i tend to not associate with the community much. in the past i did a bit, but they were profusely toxic. one in particular i have blocked on every social media platform i have.
  • Flag - usa
  • Pride Flag - panromantic
  • Pronouns: he/him
  • Award - Graphic Artist

|*✭˚・゚✧*・゚*thiscrush ✭˚・゚✧*・゚*|
pm for discord and 3ds friend code
member of "good guy gang"

Online Lavandia~☆

• Purple Level
    • Quotev
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2019, 08:40:51 pm »
i am kin and a furry, though not kin with an animal. however, i did have wings and i miss being able to fly. i have astral wings at times.

however, i tend to not associate with the community much. in the past i did a bit, but they were profusely toxic. one in particular i have blocked on every social media platform i have.
Wait, they were on EVERY social media platform you have?! :0

To be honest, despite my wings, I'm not really sure I ever did much flying outside of specific, fairly uuncommon circumstances, heh heh.
  • Flag - usa
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Pride Flag - demigirl

Offline Julian

• Blue Level
  • Cookies: 96
    • DeviantArt - PrinceDeathDefying
    • FurAffinity - gotebloke
    • Twitter - kingofbirds_
  • Fursona Species: Beast
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2019, 01:00:57 pm »

Wow... That makes me want to stay far away from them... Though I'm sure not everyone in the community is like that, there could be a lot of bad attitudes. May I ask what happened with that particular person?
  • Flag - denmark
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: he/they/any neutral
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (US): 1-800-273-8255
{ Open Adopts | Avatar - Noble1777}

Offline jello_magmortar

• icon by raven.
  • Blue Level
  • Cookies: 148
  • drinking tea in a tree somewhere.
    • DeviantArt - jellomagmortar
    • Twitter - @wishesmilkyway
  • Fursona Species: bat/dragon mix, and space dino
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2019, 06:04:58 pm »

Wow... That makes me want to stay far away from them... Though I'm sure not everyone in the community is like that, there could be a lot of bad attitudes. May I ask what happened with that particular person?
yes, but in dms. i do not like thinking about them, to be honest.
of course, not everyone is like that. i would say the golden rule would be to avoid the community on tumblr, and stick to the smaller forums and kin from other places. i did not find out i was kin from tumblr, and it is better that most stay away from their kin community in my opinion.
  • Flag - usa
  • Pride Flag - panromantic
  • Pronouns: he/him
  • Award - Graphic Artist

|*✭˚・゚✧*・゚*thiscrush ✭˚・゚✧*・゚*|
pm for discord and 3ds friend code
member of "good guy gang"

Online Lavandia~☆

• Purple Level
    • Quotev
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2019, 06:08:33 pm »

of course, not everyone is like that. i would say the golden rule would be to avoid the community on tumblr, and stick to the smaller forums and kin from other places. i did not find out i was kin from tumblr, and it is better that most stay away from their kin community in my opinion.
Although, from what I've heard, Tumblr seems to be toxic just about everywhere.
  • Flag - usa
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Pride Flag - demigirl

Online Tybalt DraLuka III

• The Dragon of Elements
  • Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 10
  • I'm a force to be reckoned with...
  • Fursona Species: Dragon
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2019, 08:07:48 pm »

Although, from what I've heard, Tumblr seems to be toxic just about everywhere.
I've never used it, but I have heard that before
  • Flag - usa
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Pronouns: He/him/his