Author Topic: Need some help on physics  (Read 323 times)

Offline Pendy

• Always sick
  • Orange Level
  • Candies: 15
  • Why do I even
    • FurAffinity - Pendipoo
  • Fursona Species: Dragon
Need some help on physics
« on: July 26, 2016, 01:30:11 am »
No matter how I think (or I may just be over-thinking) I cant figure out the process to do this question:

A 65kg person is standing on a scale inside of a 1500kg elevator. If the elevator is accelerating upwards at 2.0m/s what would the scale read?

I have:
Fg=mg
    =35*9.81
    =637.65

All I know is that I need the force of gravity of the person in order to calculate FNET but i know that there are other steps that I can't seem to remember.
I don't need this urgently, but if I can get just a guide through the steps it would likely help me through the course whenever I'm dealing with forces and dynamics in a similar situation.
(Edit: words)

Thanks! :)
  • Flag - canada
Ghosting the forums because I have nothing to add to most conversatinos

Offline Atheltrane Brant

• Many people think my puns are...
  • Orange Level
  • Candies: 11
  • "otter" garbage! XD
  • Fursona Species: Otter
Re: Need some help on physics
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2016, 08:07:28 pm »
Do you need to add, in addition to what you also calculated, the force from Newton's Second Law, F = ma? So net force would be mg + ma, factoring into m(g + a). This would be a case of just finding net acceleration, which is the acceleration due to gravity plus any other acceleration. Also, not sure how much explaining you need (I'm probably saying stuff you already know), but you have to make sure you follow convention when finding net acceleration, as acceleration is a vector. For instance, if the elevator were accelerating downwards at 2.0 m/s squared, the net acceleration would be g - a, because the acceleration of the elevator is considered negative.

Hope this helps!
  • Flag - usa
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His
Brevity is the soul of wit (and signatures), and thus, I will be keeping this on the short side, except I guess it's kind of long now....