Author Topic: Can anybody come up with a genre for these types of games?  (Read 317 times)

Offline Dyno Fluff

• Will you be loving me forever...
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 78
  • ... Or will you be loving me just tonight?
Can anybody come up with a genre for these types of games?
« on: August 11, 2016, 03:34:26 am »
I'm talking about games that have large libraries of monsters like Dragon Quest, Pokemon, and Digimon. I'm not talking about games that just have a lot of different monsters that are only enemies and completely unimportant to the player like Final Fantasy, I'm talking about games that you can have these monsters on your team, and have a connection with them.
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His
♪ How do I say goodbye to what we had? The good times that made us laugh, outweigh the bad. I thought we'd get to see forever, but forever's gone away. It's so hard to say goodbye to yesterday♪
The Chaotix animated by AndrewHDz

Offline ZFox

• Red Level
  • Candies: 2
    • Twitter - ZackHolliday
  • Fursona Species: Red Fox
Re: Can anybody come up with a genre for these types of games?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 08:19:59 am »
Well, as a very broad genre those would just be RPGs. But there's no problem going into a sub genre and calling it a "monster collecting" game. Self explanatory  :fox-;):
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His (Male)

Offline Proto

• YES
  • Candies: 224
  • Wonder what happens if you do the when but not if
    • DeviantArt - TinyProto
    • FurAffinity - tinyproto
  • Fursona Species: Gray Fox
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 08:55:26 am »
After some extensive research (Kidding, just tried to see what Google had to say xD), I've seen some people call them Monster Collector games as well as Monster Tamer games, though it seems there's no official way to group them
  • Flag - mexico
  • Site Donor
~~Heart completely belongs to Red Velvet~~
Taking on commissions!
 Here are my prices

"Have you gone yoicks?!" - Soren, Guardians of Ga'hoole

Offline Adrian the Goat

• Yellow Level
  • Candies: 37
  • Fursona Species: Goat
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2016, 11:08:28 pm »
You must be surprised, but just like Final Fantasy, they're all role-playing games. Role-playing games aren't simply confined to the cliché Assassin's Creed and Fallout games. The genre branches out in several different ways, but they all have some sort of technically and a role in which you play. For example, in Pokémon, you play as a trainer on a quest to catch them all and ascend to the top of the gyms. Your role is a trainer, and your classic role-playing game technicality comes from the management and progression of your Pokémon. Games in the genre also incorporate rather notable ideas such as real time strategy.
  • Flag - usa
  • Pride Flag - bisexual

Offline Dyno Fluff

• Will you be loving me forever...
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 78
  • ... Or will you be loving me just tonight?
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2016, 11:13:25 pm »
You must be surprised, but just like Final Fantasy, they're all role-playing games. Role-playing games aren't simply confined to the cliché Assassin's Creed and Fallout games. The genre branches out in several different ways, but they all have some sort of technically and a role in which you play. For example, in Pokémon, you play as a trainer on a quest to catch them all and ascend to the top of the gyms. Your role is a trainer, and your classic role-playing game technicality comes from the management and progression of your Pokémon. Games in the genre also incorporate rather notable ideas such as real time strategy.

I knew that they are all role playing games, but I want to know what type because there are subcategories of roleplaying games like Tactical Role playing games like fire emblem, and final fantasy tactics.
♪ How do I say goodbye to what we had? The good times that made us laugh, outweigh the bad. I thought we'd get to see forever, but forever's gone away. It's so hard to say goodbye to yesterday♪
The Chaotix animated by AndrewHDz