Author Topic: Pride Flag Codes  (Read 11436 times)

Offline Dazed

• Hell0
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 73
  • icon base by Baronessa
    • DeviantArt - DazedMongoliensis
  • Fursona Species: Furred Raptor
Re: Pride Flag Codes
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2016, 02:14:29 pm »
This is.. it's fu..
Why
Is it that hard to add it holy shit it's not going to hurt anyone
Or am I satan for thinking expressing pride with a tiny picture for being straight is bad, while everything else is ok?

No, you're not satan. And nobody is saying you are.
It will hurt minorities. Look at it this way: not having a straight pride flag is going to offend maybe a small group of people. But allowing people to boast about being straight (which is what displaying a straight pride flag does, whether you agree with me or not) will harm most of our users here.

Like I said in my PM, I'm not really sure what to tell you beyond that. If enough people actually find it necessary, we'll discuss the option. Otherwise, this is our stance.
How will it harm people
what

Offend people, upset people, whatever you want to call it. Its impossible to have a safe space if people are reminding you of their privilege constantly.
WHAT
This is ridiculous.
This is absolutely fucking ridiculous.
It's impossible to have a safe space if you are going to think like that- This isn't a non straight forum- it's a FURRY FORUM. It's a safe place for FURRIES. STRAIGHT furries included- Why should they be treated differently?
Now it's not the lack of a harmless flag function, but to say being straight can actually offend and upset people?
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: Dont care
Looking to chat? Skype is on my profile page, and you can ask me for my steam.

Offline ★Panda★

• Not a duck!
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 595
  • :*・°☆.。.:*・°☆.。
    • DeviantArt - cocoapanda
    • FurAffinity - cocoapanda
  • Fursona Species: Skunk
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2016, 02:19:29 pm »
This is.. it's fu..
Why
Is it that hard to add it holy shit it's not going to hurt anyone
Or am I satan for thinking expressing pride with a tiny picture for being straight is bad, while everything else is ok?

No, you're not satan. And nobody is saying you are.
It will hurt minorities. Look at it this way: not having a straight pride flag is going to offend maybe a small group of people. But allowing people to boast about being straight (which is what displaying a straight pride flag does, whether you agree with me or not) will harm most of our users here.

Like I said in my PM, I'm not really sure what to tell you beyond that. If enough people actually find it necessary, we'll discuss the option. Otherwise, this is our stance.
How will it harm people
what

Offend people, upset people, whatever you want to call it. Its impossible to have a safe space if people are reminding you of their privilege constantly.
WHAT
This is ridiculous.
This is absolutely fucking ridiculous.
It's impossible to have a safe space if you are going to think like that- This isn't a non straight forum- it's a FURRY FORUM. It's a safe place for FURRIES. STRAIGHT furries included- Why should they be treated differently?
Now it's not the lack of a harmless flag function, but to say being straight can actually offend and upset people?

Please point out where I said that being straight can offend people? Because that's not what I said, nor implied. This discussion is about the flags only--and displaying any sort of "straight pride" thing is what will upset people.

---

THIS IS MY OPINION, PLEASE DO NOT GET YOUR NICKERS IN A TWIST
Im pretty sure these are used as a form of pride, not just a form of identification,
LGBT Pride was not born from a need to celebrate being LGBT, but from our right to live our lives free from persecution. Unfortionaltey straight people arent persecuted as much as LGBT people because it is considered normal, where as many poeple consider members of the LGBT community to be "abnormal" (luckily this isnt a BIG BIG issue anymore, but it still is an issue), and as such don't need any form of pride because they arent persecuted or oppressed, now im not saying that straight people should be proud of being straight, but they don't need a straight pride movement, and as such that is why there isnt a straight pride  or cis pride badge on the forum.

Thank you so much for articulating that in a way that I couldn't  :lion:
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pronouns: They/them
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Offline Dazed

• Hell0
  • Green Level
  • icon base by Baronessa
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2016, 02:22:43 pm »
Why don't we create a goddamn poll already then, see what everyone thinks instead of sticking to your own opinion?
If the majority disagree with me, then hell, this isnt my place. I'll move on elsewhere to where people can be treated equally REGARDLESS of who they are.

"Please point out where I said that being straight can offend people? Because that's not what I said, nor implied. This discussion is about the flags only--and displaying any sort of "straight pride" thing is what will upset people."
"Offend people, upset people, whatever you want to call it. Its impossible to have a safe space if people are reminding you of their privilege constantly."
So, what I'm getting is that you have to hid it if you are straight?
Fuck, that's familiar..
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 02:26:05 pm by Dazed »
  • Pride Flag - gay

Offline Festive Wrex

• *MLEM*
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 76
    • FurAffinity - pinkcloud
    • Twitter - MarcSCarless
  • Fursona Species: Sergal
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2016, 02:28:51 pm »
STRAIGHT PEOPLE DO NOT NEED A PRIDE MOVEMENT, THEY ARE NOT OPPRESSED OR DISCRIMINATED AGAINST BY SOCIETY, THEREFORE THEY HAVE NO NEED FOR IT.
sorry for the unnecessarily large font, needed to get a point across.
  • Flag - britain
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Pride Flag - genderfluid
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His or She/Her/Hers

FT's #1 Train Enthusiast
Icon by radio

Offline ★Panda★

• Not a duck!
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2016, 02:30:45 pm »
"Please point out where I said that being straight can offend people? Because that's not what I said, nor implied. This discussion is about the flags only--and displaying any sort of "straight pride" thing is what will upset people."
"Offend people, upset people, whatever you want to call it. Its impossible to have a safe space if people are reminding you of their privilege constantly."
So, what I'm getting is that you have to hid it if you are straight?
Fuck, that's familiar..

No, you don't have to hide it. Plenty of people have posted that their straight, even in the Sexual Orientation threads, and that's completely awesome. But a pride flag is a different story.

I'm sorry you feel that this isn't the place for you. We can't make everyone happy and comfortable, unfortunately :/
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Offline Dazed

• Hell0
  • Green Level
  • icon base by Baronessa
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2016, 02:31:13 pm »
straight people dont need a pride movement because they are not discrimated against.

*sigh*
You people are too blind too see that you're triping over you're own words.
Answer me this.
Who will it hurt, and why.
Please, speak up.
  • Pride Flag - gay

Offline Festive Wrex

• *MLEM*
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 76
    • FurAffinity - pinkcloud
    • Twitter - MarcSCarless
  • Fursona Species: Sergal
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2016, 02:32:41 pm »
straight people dont need a pride movement because they are not discrimated against.

*sigh*
Answer me this.
Please, speak up.
It's not a privelige
Straight poeple should be thankful that they dont need a pride movement, rather than be jelous that they dont have one.
  • Flag - britain
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Pride Flag - genderfluid
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His or She/Her/Hers

FT's #1 Train Enthusiast
Icon by radio

Offline Dazed

• Hell0
  • Green Level
  • icon base by Baronessa
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2016, 02:33:25 pm »

*sigh*
Answer me this.
Please, speak up.
It's not a privelige
Straight poeple should be thankful that they dont need a pride movement, rather than be jelous that they dont have one.
??? I never said they were "jelous"???
If you want to be inclusive to everyone, THAN BE INCLUSIVE TO EVERYONE. If you don't want to, then dont, fine. But stop saying you are.
  • Pride Flag - gay

Offline ★Panda★

• Not a duck!
  • Administrator
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2016, 02:36:14 pm »
I am locking this for a bit as its obviously not a conductive conversation any more.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Offline ★Panda★

• Not a duck!
  • Administrator
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2016, 04:36:44 pm »
For note, you ARE allowed to have your own straight pride flag displayed in your signature/profile, as long as it is not excessive. There is absolutely no reason for you to boast about how straight you are, so anything excessive will be considered homophobia & appropriate action taken.
To reiterate, nobody is saying straight pride is wrong. However, when it is pushed too much, it becomes the very thing our LGBT+ members here are trying to escape from.

After discussion about it, we have no plans to add an ally flag right now.

I will open this back up, so people can continue giving suggestions about the field. I would prefer that no more discussion about straight pride happens; but if it does, keep it respectful.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Offline Lumix

• Wish you could save this place
  • Orange Level
  • Cookies: 20
  • The way you save your face
  • Fursona Species: Grey Wolf
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2016, 04:44:52 pm »
I am confused as to why expressing one's sexual orientation would be considered homophobic.
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His
P

Offline ★Panda★

• Not a duck!
  • Administrator
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2016, 04:53:17 pm »
I am confused as to why expressing one's sexual orientation would be considered homophobic.

ALL of society is a "straight pride parade" all the time. Most of our members come here to escape that, not to be reminded once again of how society feels about them.
You can express it, just don't be ridiculous about it is all we're saying.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Offline LANCIFROST

• Let's go!
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 103
  • A' suh dudes!
    • DeviantArt - Spartan329
    • FurAffinity - LanceThyla
    • Twitter - Lancifur
    • Weasyl - Lance
    • My Tumblr.
  • Fursona Species: Thylacine
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2016, 04:55:39 pm »
Expressing pride in one's sexuality is not homophobic, but when displaying a flag of any sort, you also have to look at the history and stigmas behind these icons. While we realize that not every straight person is homophobic, the straight pride flag is commonly used by people who wish to oppress and silence minorities in their circle of influence. Because of this and the fact that some LGBT+ members here may have been victims of said oppression or silencing, we have chosen to not come across as supporting these toxic movements.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Flag - usa
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - pansexual
  • Pride Flag - pansexual

Offline Lumix

• Wish you could save this place
  • Orange Level
  • Cookies: 20
  • The way you save your face
  • Fursona Species: Grey Wolf
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2016, 05:02:29 pm »
Expressing pride in one's sexuality is not homophobic, but when displaying a flag of any sort, you also have to look at the history and stigmas behind these icons. While we realize that not every straight person is homophobic, the straight pride flag is commonly used by people who wish to oppress and silence minorities in their circle of influence. Because of this and the fact that some LGBT+ members here may have been victims of said oppression or silencing, we have chosen to not come across as supporting these toxic movements.
Thank you very much to have taken the time out if your day to explain this to me. I now understand how this could be taken as offensive but I still believe that straight people should have at least some way of expressing themselves like the other groups are able to do.
P

Offline flurrin

• Purple Level
  • Cookies: 130
  • sushi dog
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2016, 02:48:09 am »
yea
I can see how straight pride flags would seem kinda weird and the ally symbol even
It would be nice if they could just type this in words so they can express something but I know that might defeat the point of the object, but I know like some people aren't cis gendered and are straight so its not always something you can assume so easily at least within the furry fandom as there is a higher proportion of LGBT. Saying that I support not putting the flag for now but leaving the option open to allowing people to put it in their signatures and stuff manually if they wish to for the problems it might cause, if it were an option

I feel like giving more suggestions for the field completeness but only if other furs want these?
-surgender
-there is also bigender or even trigender (some of these are similar to gender fluid I think)

So I guess I will put these here in case it will be useful for anyone else. But I know there is a ever long and growing list of gender terms so yea

• Flag - britain
  • Award - Holiday Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - androgynous
  • Pronouns: any
profile pic by ShopePapilloma

Offline Shia

• Christmas Cutie
  • Cookies: 278
    • DeviantArt - rroad
    • FurAffinity - discomanokit
    • Twitter - discomanokit
  • Fursona Species: Manokit
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2016, 12:35:01 pm »
I like these flags. They are a nice addition to the site.

It's also a nice celebration I guess because after questioning my sexuality for quite a bit I have realized that I'm attracted to females.
  • Flag - usa
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - pansexual
  • Pronouns: she/her/hers
If you need anything, just ask me! My inbox is always open and I’m more than happy to help.
Avatar and sig emote by Avery! <3

Offline Eolties

• Orange Level
  • Cookies: 5
  • Have some pride!it's free!
    • FurAffinity - NickolasTheFennecFox
  • Fursona Species: Fennec Fox
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2016, 04:40:10 am »
i'm glad cutesy flags are the main subject again.i was wondering is there a bisexual flag maybe there won't be one or i just did not read good enough.[i skim]but if said flag type is not there could you put one there?
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: he,him,his,you
A lot of species bare their teeth as a display of aggression,think of that the next time I smile.

Online Mystic

• Christmas cow
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 831
  • Merry and Bright
    • FurAffinity - MysticSolstice
    • Twitter - MysticSolstice
  • Fursona Species: Cow
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2016, 09:09:36 am »
i'm glad cutesy flags are the main subject again.i was wondering is there a bisexual flag maybe there won't be one or i just did not read good enough.[i skim]but if said flag type is not there could you put one there?
There is already is a bisexual flag c: codeword is: bisexual. Just type that into the field and it should show up
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 09:27:11 am by Addison »
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Flag - canada
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
  • Award - Graphic Artist

| ToyHou.se | ThisCrush | Q&A |
Icon by CupcakeCreature | Signature by Red Velvet

Offline flurrin

• Purple Level
  • Cookies: 130
  • sushi dog
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2016, 03:55:25 am »
The more i think of it the more the gender queer flag looks exactly like the suffragettes flag (not that they r active now i think) XP just slightly different tones
Still a good flag though, i guess there are many similar flags in the world
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 04:07:13 am by flurry swift »
  • Flag - britain
  • Award - Holiday Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - androgynous
  • Pronouns: any
profile pic by ShopePapilloma

Offline Athib

• Red Level
  • Cookies: 3
    • FurAffinity - Athib
  • Fursona Species: Brown fox/Deer
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2016, 12:51:46 pm »
Any gray romantic flags?
  • Pride Flag - graysexual
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Pronouns: He/him/his
Saying that you handle transactions for a multi-billion dollar company sounds a lot better than saying you are a cashier at McDonald's