Author Topic: Anyone with comic experience?  (Read 197 times)

Offline ☆Sugar☆

• Swerve
  • Purple Level
  • Cookies: 166
  • kinda only care about giant robots tbh
    • DeviantArt - SugarLonghorn
    • Twitter - NoNotExactly
  • Fursona Species: Longhorn
Anyone with comic experience?
« on: September 09, 2016, 10:22:15 pm »
I'm currently planning a comic, but I don't know much about the actual making of them. If anyone has any tips about panels, dialogue, drawings, backgrounds, etc., I'd love to know.
  • Flag - xmaslight
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt silver
  • Award - Holiday Hunt participant
  • Pronouns: she/her/hers

"Everyone assumes that if you make jokes, you're happy. Why? Why is that?" ~Swerve
art tumblr~other tumblr~deviantart

Offline Sharkbait★

• gay purple sparkleshark
  • Blue Level
  • Cookies: 119
  • bee bop to the top
    • DeviantArt - sharkdivus
    • FurAffinity - Shark-Bait
  • Fursona Species: Bull shark
Re: Anyone with comic experience?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2016, 01:18:49 am »
aah, i have some experience comic-making.
i'm following the classic "webcomic panel" for my webcomic, which is basically just two panels on top of eachother hahaha. i'll switch it up in some cases that need it tho.
tbh i'm kind of a beginner myself, but one thing i've noted is that the "tail" of the talk bubble should usually be "pointing" at the mouth of the character. don't do this if it messes up the composition/looks ugly though, hahahaha.
i'm just kinda taking it in stride tbh!
i haven't been able to update in a long time as i've been uber busy with school, and i lost my work space at one point, but i actually have a thread for my comic here: http://www.furryteens.org/forum/index.php?topic=25318.msg640175#msg640175
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: he/him

Offline ☆Sugar☆

• Swerve
  • Purple Level
  • Cookies: 166
  • kinda only care about giant robots tbh
    • DeviantArt - SugarLonghorn
    • Twitter - NoNotExactly
  • Fursona Species: Longhorn
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2016, 01:08:42 pm »
Ah thanks for the advice, also what you've got of the comic so far is good!
  • Flag - xmaslight
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt silver
  • Pronouns: she/her/hers

"Everyone assumes that if you make jokes, you're happy. Why? Why is that?" ~Swerve
art tumblr~other tumblr~deviantart

Online flurrin

• Purple Level
  • Cookies: 130
  • sushi dog
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2016, 03:44:06 pm »
Not much experience (apart from some practice comics which were bad btw) but i can give some tips :3

Its good to zoom in a bit when drawing to get as big as you can.
With background i personally like to use the gradient to a lot but it can be tacky too i guess.
In european comics at least they often have space around the edges of the text in a speech box if u know what i mean, so not too much ext is crammed in tho with manga its a bit different.
If its a storytelling comic its good to tell more with the drawings rather than the text.

Thats all i can think of for now. Hope this helps!
  • Flag - britain
  • Pride Flag - androgynous
  • Pronouns: any
profile pic by ShopePapilloma

Offline Vlad

• Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 55
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2016, 09:22:57 pm »
I'm no artist and I've not made any comics, but as an avid reader of an unhealthy amount of them, I have a lot of experience with the format. Hopefully you find it useful.

Two tips: if you don't already do this- go read a few lot of comics. Looking at how other artists do their comics is one of the best ways to pick up on the small things and some of the best webcomics I read are drawn by people that read other webcomics. Even if it's only while you're starting out, look at five or six webcomics with different genres and styles to get a feel for different approaches to the medium.

My other tip is to make sure you have a solid story figured out (unless you're doing a gag-a-day or humor style strip). A comic is a combination of art and storytelling, and it's too often that I see a great artist with weak storytelling that ruins a comic that otherwise had potential. A comic with a good story will carry forward and hold readers' attention even if the art is very basic or amateur, and those comics tend to run long enough for the creator to develop their skills and become a more refined artist.
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Pronouns: he/him/his