Author Topic: Display name dilemma  (Read 327 times)

Offline Dyno Fluff

• Will you be loving me forever...
  • Blue Level
  • Cookies: 78
  • ... Or will you be loving me just tonight?
Display name dilemma
« on: September 25, 2016, 03:29:36 pm »
So, as I was changing my name, I realised that the one I was choosing "is already in use". I changed it to something else obviously, but this does make a problem. All inactive accounts are pretty much wasting a name which somebody may want to use, and the chances are that this person may never be coming back, and that name is forever gone. I have a couple solutions for this, but I'm not sure if any of them can be done: There could be multiple of the same name. Or after a period of time, their display name can be erased and replaced with some sort of number (yeah, maybe people want a certain number as there name, but like... I think you can manage without that).
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His
♪ How do I say goodbye to what we had? The good times that made us laugh, outweigh the bad. I thought we'd get to see forever, but forever's gone away. It's so hard to say goodbye to yesterday♪
The Chaotix animated by AndrewHDz

Offline Lucius.

• Friend please...
  • Blue Level
  • Cookies: 187
  • Fursona Species: Wolfdog
Re: Display name dilemma
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 03:50:59 pm »
Does a username on this website even have any use except for signing in?
Icon by Nagi. :rose:

Offline Dyno Fluff

• Will you be loving me forever...
  • Blue Level
  • Cookies: 78
  • ... Or will you be loving me just tonight?
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 03:52:06 pm »

I'm not talking about usernames, I'm talking about display names.
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His
♪ How do I say goodbye to what we had? The good times that made us laugh, outweigh the bad. I thought we'd get to see forever, but forever's gone away. It's so hard to say goodbye to yesterday♪
The Chaotix animated by AndrewHDz

Offline Lucius.

• Friend please...
  • Blue Level
  • Cookies: 187
  • Fursona Species: Wolfdog
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2016, 03:56:34 pm »

I'm not talking about usernames, I'm talking about display names.

Oh I didn't know you couldn't take a display name already in use. I agree with both solutions of having multiples of the same name or having unused account names erased.
Icon by Nagi. :rose:

Online Mystic

• Christmas cow
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 830
  • Merry and Bright
    • FurAffinity - MysticSolstice
    • Twitter - MysticSolstice
  • Fursona Species: Cow
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2016, 05:01:19 pm »
You can't have the same display name as another users username even if their display name is set as something different (eg no one other than me can ever have their display name set as "MysticSolstice" even if my display name is set to Faye because MysticSolstice is my username). I think that's where most of the names are taken and changing usernames is not an option as users would no longer be able to sign into their accounts. As for changing display names to numbers after a person becomes inactive I don't think it'll help much and just cause a lot of confusion, as I said before their username would still not be able to be used and it'd be hard to look through old threads and see who people were if no one had their names. Having the option to let multiple people use the same name might be plausible (assuming the forum software has an option for that) but I'd be afraid of it causing confusion, especially if there's two active users with the same fursona name
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Flag - canada
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
  • Award - Graphic Artist

| ToyHou.se | ThisCrush | Q&A |
Icon by CupcakeCreature | Signature by Red Velvet