Author Topic: Let's talk about nVidia.  (Read 211 times)

Offline LoyalPyra

• icon by serana, pixels by graham and cutgut.
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 129
  • Armenian american
    • DeviantArt - timeitcorrectly
    • FurAffinity - timeitcorrectly
    • Twitter - @TimeItCorrectly
  • Fursona Species: Protogen
Let's talk about nVidia.
« on: September 28, 2016, 08:48:22 am »
So I'm honestly confused on why nVidia is trying to get rid of SLI on lower end cards, and it makes me a little confused/frustrated. Because some people want to get something like a GTX 1060 and possibly SLI in the future that's what I was planning on doing, but I can't now. What are your opinions on this happening?
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Flag - armenia
  • Site Donor
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - pansexual
  • Pronouns: she/her/hers
  • Award - Graphic Artist
Taken by nastybread

Offline Kinua

• O_o
  • Yellow Level
  • Candies: 30
    • Twitter - Real_Kinua
  • Fursona Species: Manokit
Re: Let's talk about nVidia.
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 11:25:00 am »
They do it so people buy more of their higher-end GPU's like the 1080. If they allowed SLI on the 1060, less people would buy the 1080 because you could get 1080-ish performance from 2 1060s for less money. (at least as far as I'm informed )
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt participant
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His
Add me on steam!
Send me a PM if you want, I don't bite!  :fox-;):
Free icon base by feve @FA

Offline Vlad

• Yellow Level
  • Candies: 55
Re: Let's talk about nVidia.
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 11:50:12 am »
They do it so people buy more of their higher-end GPU's like the 1080. If they allowed SLI on the 1060, less people would buy the 1080 because you could get 1080-ish performance from 2 1060s for less money. (at least as far as I'm informed )
This is pretty accurate. Nvidia seems to be taking the viewpoint that SLI setups are the kind of thing that only the major enthusiasts would be interested in, and those are the kinds of people that would already have 1070s or 1080s. They seem to feel that single 1060s and 1050s will be enough for everyone not currently wanting to spend the money for a 1070, without leaving those people as much options for upgrading in the future. We may see the multi-GPU capabilities of DirectX 12 make this a non-issue, but for the time being support is still too limited to rely on it.

AMD seems to be taking the opposite approach and encouraging multi-GPU setups, by offering affordable and powerful budget/mainstream GPUs but not producing any top-end heavy hitters like the 1080, leaving an ideal environment for crossfire for anyone interested in more performance than a single RX 480 can bring to bear. There are even rumors of the RX 490 coming out soon as a dual GPU card with two RX 480 processors onboard.
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Pronouns: he/him/his