Author Topic: Best ways to learn to draw, pleeeease?  (Read 292 times)

Offline Alen

• This is an original custom title
  • Red Level
  • Cookies: 7
  • Fursona Species: Raccoon
Best ways to learn to draw, pleeeease?
« on: October 18, 2016, 11:50:46 pm »
So, recently I started to become really enthusiastic about drawing and I really want to learn to draw...

The problem is, I am really bad at drawing and almost never succeed. Everything that I draw looks just wrong...

What can I do with this? How do I learn to draw (especially furries)?
  • Flag - canada
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His
I love to find new friends, so feel free to message me on Discord or in the forum DM :D

Offline Red Velvet

• Cake Dragon
  • Sitewide Moderator
  • Cookies: 273
  • It's peppermint season!
    • FurAffinity - SenseiMac
    • Twitter - redvelvetdrago
    • Personal Tumblr
  • Fursona Species: Dutch Angel Dragon
Re: Best ways to learn to draw, pleeeease?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 12:01:11 am »
Well! The truth is that you're not going to like what you draw for a loooooong time. Every artist starts this way.

Anatomy studies and value practice are the best way to get fundamentals in drawing. Those are boring though lol

Learn to draw feral animals and humans separately before furries-- you'll be glad you did, they'll be much more convincing. Try tracing basic shapes over photos of real animals, to see what shapes make up that animal and to learn to recreate them. Do figure drawings of humans.

I'm super tired rn so this may be incomprehensible but feel free to PM me ^^
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 12:42:52 am by Red Velvet »
  • Flag - usa
  • Award - Holiday Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - demisexual
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Trello | Portfolio | FurAffinity | Buy Me a Coffee? | ToyHouse | Dragons | Flight Rising
♥ Hopelessly in love with Proto
:aesthetic:
If you'd like to commission me, please click my Trello!

Offline Sharkbait★

• gay purple sparkleshark
  • Blue Level
  • Cookies: 119
  • bee bop to the top
    • DeviantArt - sharkdivus
    • FurAffinity - Shark-Bait
  • Fursona Species: Bull shark
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 12:34:54 am »
Learn to draw feral animals before furries-- you'll be glad you did, they'll be much more convincing. Try tracing basic shapes over photos of real animals, to see what shapes make up that animal and to learn to recreate them.

learn to draw feral animals yes, but when it comes to anthros, learn human anatomy first and foremost. ferals generally use human anatomy, just with the obvious furry fixin's- tail, muzzle, paws, fur, etc. but aside from that, it's all human anatomy. feral will come in handy but, to be honest, you'll only need that anatomy when it comes to the head/digi legs if you plan on including digi instead of plantigrade legs. the rest of the anatomy will be borrowed from humans.
but you should learn both in order to create a nice fusion of the two into a furry.

the best tricks are, really, to just draw as much as you can (draw every day if possible!) and keep practicing. try new methods, new mediums, etc. draw from life, too! don't reference another artist's work. reference photographs or, better yet, real life. you'll improve so much if you do that.
i began illustration classes in august and have been doing intensive drawing in studio hours on top of drawing in my free time and i've improved so much in the course of only a few months. practice practice practice. as one of my favorite professors says, there's no magic trickery with drawing. you just do it, and get better.
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: he/him

Offline Red Velvet

• Cake Dragon
  • Sitewide Moderator
  • Cookies: 273
  • It's peppermint season!
    • FurAffinity - SenseiMac
    • Twitter - redvelvetdrago
    • Personal Tumblr
  • Fursona Species: Dutch Angel Dragon
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 12:36:18 am »
Learn to draw feral animals before furries-- you'll be glad you did, they'll be much more convincing. Try tracing basic shapes over photos of real animals, to see what shapes make up that animal and to learn to recreate them.

learn to draw feral animals yes, but when it comes to anthros, learn human anatomy first and foremost. ferals generally use human anatomy, just with the obvious furry fixin's- tail, muzzle, paws, fur, etc. but aside from that, it's all human anatomy. feral will come in handy but, to be honest, you'll only need that anatomy when it comes to the head/digi legs if you plan on including digi instead of plantigrade legs. the rest of the anatomy will be borrowed from humans.
but you should learn both in order to create a nice fusion of the two into a furry.

OH THIS IS RIGHT i totally forgot omg
  • Flag - usa
  • Award - Holiday Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - demisexual
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Trello | Portfolio | FurAffinity | Buy Me a Coffee? | ToyHouse | Dragons | Flight Rising
♥ Hopelessly in love with Proto
:aesthetic:
If you'd like to commission me, please click my Trello!

Offline Proto

• Luckiest fox alive
  • Cookies: 230
  • This is super sweet!
    • DeviantArt - TinyProto
    • FurAffinity - tinyproto
  • Fursona Species: Gray Fox
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 12:40:30 am »
The first thing you need to learn (perhaps the most important as well as the most boring o3o) is figure drawing. You gotta be able to draw all kind of shapes reliably and from every possible angle to properly draw whatever you have in mind.

Once you learn figure drawing, you'll probably want to learn how to draw humans, since it's easier to draw a human and then just slap some animal features there xD No, but seriously, since anthros have a lot of human in them, learning how to draw plain old humans helps TONS! Once you get them down, you can start with actual anthros, which most of the time just have some small modifications to the body structure ^^

Here's a very good tutorial that goes from the very basics to some pretty advanced stuff, along with some lessons on bones and muscles of the body o3o
http://hippie.nu/~unicorn/tut/xhtml/

It is very well done ^^ Though some parts are still unfinished it should at least give you an idea of what you gotta do.

And just like Sharkbait and Red Velvet said (AND THEY ALSO NINJA'D MY POST), drawing every day is very very important!
  • Flag - mexico
  • Site Donor
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His
:redvelvet:  :pawheart:  :proto:
Taking on commissions!
 Here are my prices

"Have you gone yoicks?!" - Soren, Guardians of Ga'hoole