Author Topic: Japanese kanji  (Read 249 times)

Offline flurrin

• Purple Level
  • Candies: 128
  • sushi dog
Japanese kanji
« on: October 23, 2016, 12:45:17 pm »
I need help with learning all the kanji used in Japanese on a regular basis (joyo kanji)
What method, which sites etc
I know the basics plus I learnt some indirectly through chinese
  • Flag - britain
  • Award - Holiday Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - androgynous
  • Pronouns: any
profile pic by ShopePapilloma

Offline Yoshimaster96

• Yellow Level
  • Candies: 19
    • DeviantArt - Yoshimaster96smwc
    • FurAffinity - Yoshimaster96
    • Weasyl - Yoshimaster96
  • Fursona Species: Alien
Re: Japanese kanji
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 06:57:34 pm »
I need help with learning all the kanji used in Japanese on a regular basis (joyo kanji)
Nonononono... NO

You DON'T wanna learn Kanji. Learn vocabulary.
There are two main reasons for this:
1. Kanji readings can vary TREMENDOUSLY. I recall reading there was a Kanji with over 50 readings, used for different vocab words.
2. Kanji readings can also vary in compounds. Yes, there's the on'yomi/kun'yomi rule-of-thumb, but it doesn't always work, and you'll save yourself the trouble by learning the compounds directly.

I'd suggest learning the reading, the kanji, and the meaning, all at once for the same word. Because of this, don't learn too much at once. Take your time. Online flashcards are a HUGE help.

Also, if you haven't already, get a book on Japanese. I have Tuttle's "Essential Japanese Grammar", which has an appendix of over 1000 words, separated by parts of speech. Though, there are MANY others out there. Find one that suits your learning best.

GOOD LUCK!
  • Flag - usa
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt participant
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His

Offline flurrin

• Purple Level
  • Candies: 128
  • sushi dog
Re: Japanese kanji
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 07:33:01 pm »
Nonononono... NO

You DON'T wanna learn Kanji. Learn vocabulary.
There are two main reasons for this:
1. Kanji readings can vary TREMENDOUSLY. I recall reading there was a Kanji with over 50 readings, used for different vocab words.
2. Kanji readings can also vary in compounds. Yes, there's the on'yomi/kun'yomi rule-of-thumb, but it doesn't always work, and you'll save yourself the trouble by learning the compounds directly.

I'd suggest learning the reading, the kanji, and the meaning, all at once for the same word. Because of this, don't learn too much at once. Take your time. Online flashcards are a HUGE help.

Also, if you haven't already, get a book on Japanese. I have Tuttle's "Essential Japanese Grammar", which has an appendix of over 1000 words, separated by parts of speech. Though, there are MANY others out there. Find one that suits your learning best.

GOOD LUCK!
ye probably best to learn compound phrases
the only reason i mention kanji is i know a lot of japanese just through spoken language ah so its only very big words i dont know but ye the meaning does go with the character your right : o its only really kanj which have singular meanings that are somewhat learnable but ye when a kanji is from a compound its isnt really easy to learn
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 07:37:27 pm by flurry swift »
  • Flag - britain
  • Award - Holiday Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - androgynous
  • Pronouns: any
profile pic by ShopePapilloma