Author Topic: When It Comes To FanArt...  (Read 218 times)

Offline MasterDaye

• The Pencil Mage
  • Red Level
  • Cookies: 8
  • Wahmp!~
    • DeviantArt - masterdaye
    • FurAffinity - masterdaye
    • Squiby
  • Fursona Species: Ferret(?)
When It Comes To FanArt...
« on: November 07, 2016, 02:22:49 pm »
Hey peoples! o3o

So I've been having these conflicting thoughts about me drawing fanart... Specifically me drawing fan art for otome games.

Tell me if this is relatable or not:
When I'm drawing my fan art and I plan on submitting said art online, I now have a tendency to view the fanarts that other people draw and then I'm sitting here like: "Oh crap, my silly, cartoony style isn't as good as all these sexy, anime-like fan arts! And if I start making these big projects with my style, people are gonna pissed at how I dumbed them down to an ugly cartoon.. ;o;"

I actually would like to know if any of you all have the same, or at least similar, problems. and if my cartoon style actually works or not. I mean, I made sexy anime men into wacky monstrosities, bleh.
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
You may not know it, but I am fuming with rage. Don't ask me why, because I would be "offending"someone if I told you.

Offline Red Velvet

• Cake Dragon
  • Sitewide Moderator
  • Cookies: 273
  • It's peppermint season!
    • FurAffinity - SenseiMac
    • Twitter - redvelvetdrago
    • Personal Tumblr
  • Fursona Species: Dutch Angel Dragon
Re: When It Comes To FanArt...
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 02:49:38 pm »
Man, I've just stopped caring altogether.

For instance, I see TONS of hyperrealistic Mettaton fanart, even though he is only a few pixels wide, haha.

But! When I drew him, my style varied from this to this to this!

All were VERY well received, and in the instance of otomes (I'm assuming you mean Mystic Messenger? >:3c) Just draw what makes you happy! There's always gonna be people who dislike certain styles or whatever, but I find it refreshing to see cartoonish anime characters, since EVERYONE does the anime/manga style.

I used to be self conscious of it, but life is so much more fun when you stop caring what everyone else thinks, LMAO

You do you!!
  • Flag - usa
  • Award - Holiday Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - demisexual
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Trello | Portfolio | FurAffinity | Buy Me a Coffee? | ToyHouse | Dragons | Flight Rising
♥ Hopelessly in love with Proto
:aesthetic:
If you'd like to commission me, please click my Trello!

Offline MasterDaye

• The Pencil Mage
  • Red Level
  • Cookies: 8
  • Wahmp!~
    • DeviantArt - masterdaye
    • FurAffinity - masterdaye
    • Squiby
  • Fursona Species: Ferret(?)
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 03:45:12 pm »
@RedVelvet

Oh man, thank you for that comment! That really made my day! ^^

I'm that 1% of people who don't care for Undertale, to the point that I've never watched the gameplays. I'm usually not a fan of things that are too overrated.
Holy cow! Did you draw all of that?? O_O *dies from too much awesomeness*

(You don't know.... How much one of my friends has been begging asking me to play Mystic Messenger.. -m-
I don't mean that, no, but I do know of it. I'm mainly talkin' bout Shall We Date? games :Y)
That is true.. Not everyone is gonna like every style of art. And really?? Huh.. I guess it is true that a lotta folks draw that smexy, anime style quite often.
(My profile picture serves as a good example. It's fanart of one of my favorite otome characters of all time.. And I pretty much took out all of the sexiness he had with my "can't human for shit" art style. :'D)
Y'know what, you're probably right. I mean, it's not like I haven't tried to not discourage myself by comparing others' work to mine. But it is super difficult to completely ignore all them pretty fanart.. *^*
You may not know it, but I am fuming with rage. Don't ask me why, because I would be "offending"someone if I told you.

Offline Red Velvet

• Cake Dragon
  • Sitewide Moderator
  • Cookies: 273
  • It's peppermint season!
    • FurAffinity - SenseiMac
    • Twitter - redvelvetdrago
    • Personal Tumblr
  • Fursona Species: Dutch Angel Dragon
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 03:57:37 pm »
You're welcome~!

I completely understand, that was back when I actually cared for it, haha. Now, it's a little cringeworthy XD
And I did, thank you ;w;

(It's pretty good, I recommend it!) but oooohhh okay, I've played like one of those, so I don't know much aside from the art style, but I still say go for it!

It will definitely be hard since art is one of those industries where the whole POINT is comparison. But! Just try to embrace your own style, and as long as YOU like it, then it is perfect!!
  • Flag - usa
  • Award - Holiday Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Trello | Portfolio | FurAffinity | Buy Me a Coffee? | ToyHouse | Dragons | Flight Rising
♥ Hopelessly in love with Proto
:aesthetic:
If you'd like to commission me, please click my Trello!

Offline Serana

• Local Vampire Queen
  • Purple Level
  • Cookies: 248
  • I don't bite...hard
    • DeviantArt - WolfGodess12
    • FurAffinity - SnowFeline
    • Twitter - SnowFelineArts
    • Weasyl - SnowFeline
  • Fursona Species: Pig of somesort
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 04:30:31 pm »
I typically draw in that common "smexy animu style"(I think?) but still feel oh so self conscious doing fan art cause the things I wanna make fan art of is either more toony/cutesy compared to my style or realistic(video games) even though I've seen plenty of people anime-fied american cartoons and stuff I still don't want to get hate or anything even though I know not everyones gonna like my style X3
In the end though its better just do what you wanna do, not everyone's gonna like it but if you enjoy it than it really don't matter in the end^^
  • Flag - usa
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - bisexual

AKA Nagi, feel free to call me whatever.
Proud Otherkin and slightly ashamed Fictionkin
Don't take things I say very seriously, I tend to joke around.

|FurAffinity / ToyHou.se / Tumblr / ThisCrush|

Offline Proto

• Luckiest fox alive
  • Cookies: 230
  • This is super sweet!
    • DeviantArt - TinyProto
    • FurAffinity - tinyproto
  • Fursona Species: Gray Fox
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 08:25:40 pm »
I've seen this pic floating around the Internet that is about a guy who made a cake and then feels like everybody is going to like the cake that someone else did that is about twice as big and all adorned and stuff, while the people who are gonna eat the cake are all like "Oh my gosh, two cakes!!"

The point is that, people will always love more fanart x3 Really, there's always at least 1 person who's going to like it a lot, and then there can be as many as thousands! I once made a comic strip about Undertale about a year ago, while I still hadn't gotten the hang of digital drawing (it was way too simple, plainly colored, no shading, background even has a very noticeable error ^^"), and yet it's probably my drawing with the most favs ever.

I've seen your art, and I know it's way better than a lot of other things out there ^^ You shouldn't doubt yourself that much =D
  • Flag - mexico
  • Site Donor
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His
:redvelvet:  :pawheart:  :proto:
Taking on commissions!
 Here are my prices

"Have you gone yoicks?!" - Soren, Guardians of Ga'hoole

Offline Big Boss

• This fire inside me won't burn out again!
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 71
  • Big. Bloody. Boss
  • Fursona Species: Big Boss
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2016, 02:10:35 am »
The point is that, people will always love more fanart x3
This is pretty much it. I never post what little fan art I draw because it's for me and me alone to enjoy my stuff. But the few people who've seen my stuff have never had a bad thing to say about it (assuming they know the source material XD). Fans like fan art and anyone who'll turn their nose up at more people showing their appreciation for the stuff these people like aren't worth caring about anyway. Who gives a flying fiddle faddle about what negative people think of your style yeah? I mean, approval is great and all, but the people who love the source material won't care an iota what style the fan art is in, as long as it's genuinely fanart. I'm using the brony fandom here because I'm an admin of a brony art page. The artist in question is brilliant and her art style couldn't be further from the shows style. People still love it despite that difference. And even if she trades with artists who aren't on her level, people still like that other artwork.

TL;DR there are always gonna be buttheads in fandoms, patrolling the art pools to screech "THIS ART ISN'T CANON ENOUGH YOU SHIT". They don't matter, because this art is for you and the people who share your interests to appreciate, and even if just one person likes your art, you've succeeded mang, good going.