Author Topic: My Thoughts on Mighty Magiswords?  (Read 285 times)

Offline MasterDaye

• The Pencil Mage
  • Red Level
  • Candies: 8
  • Wahmp!~
    • DeviantArt - masterdaye
    • FurAffinity - masterdaye
    • Squiby
  • Fursona Species: Ferret(?)
My Thoughts on Mighty Magiswords?
« on: November 12, 2016, 11:34:55 pm »
Hey everyone! This'll be my first written review (on here) so please just bear with me on this one. ;w;

Yaay, Cartoon Network has blessed us with another creative show with a simple but good concept with a unique art style to it! What is Mighty Magiswords, one may ask? Well, it was... hm... Let's have Wikipedia answer this one:

...[it is the] network's first online original series. The web shorts officially premiered online on May 6, 2015 as well as the interactive games shown in the app, Cartoon Network Anything...
On June 13, 2016, it was confirmed that Mighty Magiswords was picked up as a full-length TV series and premiered on September 29, 2016 on Cartoon Network..

Now it's time for me to stop acting so happy and tell you how I really feel about this show. And let's just say.. I ain't all too happy about it... (._.)

A few months back, one of my friends showed me some of the episodes of Mighty Magiswords. We had different opinions on what we liked about the show, but we had mutual opinions on the things we really didn't like about it, but let's talk about the Good Things, first! (Disclaimer: I haven't seen a lot of episodes of this show because... well.. It's too flawed for me to. Sorry :T)

• One thing was that my friend loved the style of the characters, saying that they resemble her style on humans. (I personally thought that they were a tad off, but bearable)
  • Another was that I liked its (somewhat nonexistent) concept of "Gotta Catch All of the Magiswords!". I honestly like that concept because it can lead to world expansion, character building, action, and so much more... -w-
But yeah... I think that's all I really have for real pros. Anything else is either abysmal, confusing, or so 'meh' that it flies right above my head.

Not onto my list of Cons:
  • Not my favorite theme song (I honestly could care less who's in it)
  • Prohyas's nazaly voice is a tad annoying.
  • Why do the two SIBLINGS have different accents?
  • For a show about magical swords, you sure don't have very good action scenes.
  • For a show that says its theme is to collect all of the Magiswords, you sure pull a lotta swords from your asses often.
  • I get that with shows that have a very small budget can't do a lot with animation, but there's really no excuse as to why your magisword summoning (dunno what else to call it) is so stiff and lazily-done. Honestly though, you could've made a bad ass sword-summoning scene like that some animes do.
  • I honestly can't tell the siblings apart character-wise.
  • Do I really need to point out how fast-paced the show is?
  • I personally hate it when there's a pet character because "it's cute and kiddies will love it". Yes, I'm talking about the dopey dragon. I don't like him. -n-
  • Why do they even go on missions if they can pull swords from their asses? Seriously! Why?!
  • I know this show is for the kiddies, but I would appreciate less baby talk in the show. Especially from Prohyas.
  • Wow, are the sound effects too.. Cartoony? no.. Loud? no... Obnoxious?
  • Is there a continuity in this show? Or is it just episodic? I'd really like to know, but I'm not watching anymore of this show to find out.

And that's about it for my opinions on Mighty Magiswords. If you'd wish to correct me on something, please do! I'd really like to know if I'm wrong on any of the cons and how the show isn't as bad as I think it is. But sadly from what I saw.. It just isn't good. At all. >w<
And it stinks because Cartoon Network is trying so hard to make this show work by having it on all the time (with its terrible scheduling).. Oh well.

~Wahmp!
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
You may not know it, but I am fuming with rage. Don't ask me why, because I would be "offending"someone if I told you.

Online BerryCake550

• Stock Image Smuggler
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 124
  • "I am vengeance, I am the night, I am B A T M A N"
  • Fursona Species: Dutch Angel Dragon
Re: My Thoughts on Mighty Magiswords?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 07:48:40 am »
Honestly this show had so much potential, but of course, their budget has to step in the way and ruin it.
Looks rushed, and the style is horrendous! I watch a lot of CN, and whenever the show comes on it's really boring to listen to (I think they were trying to go for a cartoon bumper like they used to do on boomerang). The voice acting is alright..But not all that good..And holy cow are there SO much animation errors!
CN could've done something better, but not anymore (unless they step up their game). I know animation is pricey-
But omg, why can't CN just wait till their hit shows get canceled and use that money from all those advertisements and toys to make something better and fresh? Really loosing hope on CN, at least we got Nicktoons actually providing us with some classics.

(BTW, good review)
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - androgynous
  • Pride Flag - genderqueer
"I never set out to be weird, it was always other people who called me weird" - Frank Zappa

Offline MasterDaye

• The Pencil Mage
  • Red Level
  • Candies: 8
  • Wahmp!~
    • DeviantArt - masterdaye
    • FurAffinity - masterdaye
    • Squiby
  • Fursona Species: Ferret(?)
Re: My Thoughts on Mighty Magiswords?
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2016, 02:01:45 am »
(Thank you, BerryCake550! ^^)

Y'know, I'm not always the one to blame terrible shows on their budget, but I should take that into consideration when I look at a show. But then again, a lot of old shows that I remember were lacking in pretty and fluent animation, yet they still are considered to be amazing shows that pretty much changed my life (not dramatically, though.. ^^"). Two shows I can name right off that bat were Kappa Mikey and Mucha Lucha! They were fantastic and diverse shows despite appearing cheap (I'm not sure if they were created with less money.. Maybe I should fact-check it?). I'm just saying that I personally put the blame on the creators and writers for not making a show that is coherent or intelligent.

I honestly avoid Cartoon Network altogether because I'm tired of their terrible scheduling (only FOUR shows are airing, tomorrow), their never ending bumper era, their obvious lack of respect to their audiences, the list goes on. And I also don't have any shows I go back to CN for except for the occasional Gumball (but that's only in the mornings when I get ready for school. Reason why is because Sofia the First just angers me.... so much).

Oh my gosh, don't get me started on Boomerang... What they did to that channel was unforgivable.

Quote from: BerryCake550
But omg, why can't CN just wait till their hit shows get canceled and use that money from all those advertisements and toys to make something better and fresh?
That.. That actually sounds like a good idea. Why don't they that?

I'm ashamed to say this since I was once a Nickelodeon junky, but nowadays I rarely give Nick or Nicktoons even a passing glance. :'D
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
You may not know it, but I am fuming with rage. Don't ask me why, because I would be "offending"someone if I told you.