Author Topic: "First Time Public Fursuiting"...Help me pls.  (Read 308 times)

Offline Binjo

• -screech-
  • Red Level
  • Candies: 3
  • I want to visit New York this summer. :3
    • DeviantArt - [don't try to find me on dA]
  • Fursona Species: [current "species" : "pie-eyed" squirrel]
"First Time Public Fursuiting"...Help me pls.
« on: November 21, 2016, 07:19:52 pm »
If you don't want to read a buttload of text, or don't have the time, DON'T READ THIS. No tl;dr here.
So...my church had a Halloween Harvest Festival Party, and I decided to wear one of my very scrappy "partials" I put together over the year. The latest one I made was based off of Asriel Dreemurr [kid] from UnderTale. I'm not a real huge fan on the game. It was ok, but not the best game out there. I thought being a recognizable videogame character would make people notice me more easily.
[If anyone sees my post, I'll upload a photo, if you want. It'll be an eyesore to commissioners, buyers, and perfectionists, but I'm a newbie. Cut me some slack pls.]

------------------------------------------------------------

There's two reasons I want to fursuit...well, 3.
1. The fun in being someone else you can't be irl, and the less shy I am.
-[Almost Everyone: Same here.]

2. I like animals. (o_o)
-[The Entire Fandom: Don't we all? What are you, stupid? / Me: Sry for saying the obvious.]

3. The best part is...I know a minority/majority of kids and toddlers like to see cartoony animals. ;)
-[I hope...]

------------------------------------------------------------

Anyhoo, I put on my mint green jacket, my fluffy little white paws, my feet [I built them on socks; the hot glue burns will never leave my mind], and lastly...my head mask. I made sure the hood of my jacket stayed over the back of my head to cover my hair. I even wasted my precious time making a replica sword of the character with cardboard/silver and gold leaf/paint/varnish [for fun]. I felt like it was the best one I made so far. It was quite a hit at school the day I went to the Harvest Festival, and people were surprised when I opened my mouth with the mask <3. Two girls went full out fangirl on me and asked me to act (though I couldn't). Then...the DUDE came along.
I just call him the "dude";idk who tf he is, but he saw me hanging around with my group and called me a furry.
It felt like a slap across my face. I know not everyone recognizes who I was dressed up as, but I excused myself while everyone was distracted and slipped away into the shade of one of the school canopies. I just sat there with my arms around my legs. Everything felt colder, like the air. I took off my stuff and acted nonchalantly. But there was the hope of going to my church that night, so I din't give up yet.
Later, we headed to my church for the 'Festival. I go to Lancaster Baptist, and it's a very big place. They had everything; jumpers, cake walks, bungee jumps...all the stuff kids of all ages enjoy. I put my stuff on under the cover of a patch of shrubs as my dad cracked a stupid joke about kids mistaking me for a Disney character. I walked out from my cover, a bit wobbly at first, but I got my grip. People instantly burned my fake fur with their solid stares, but I ignored it and trailed behind my family. We stopped to sit at a hay bale, and I started to act like a total nut, swinging the sword around and knocking a pumpkin off a bale. I saw two girls (probably around the age of 7) giggle and point at me. I waved, and they squealed and ran to their mom. A couple of other tots would stare with their mouths hanging open, and I'd open my mouth at them. I loved the reactions, but a group of teen-young adults passed me and dashed away, saying "Run, there's a furry!". I swear they were grinning like it was actually FUNNY. They were probably visitors to my church, because I know they wouldn't be so rude like that if they did go to church. We went along, my little brother having fun around the jumpers while I stood there feeling eyes pierce my back. Again, another group of late teens passed me, but this time they were girls. I caught them from the corner of my eye [a not-so-easy-feat when wearing a mask/head] as they laughed and whispered some things about me. The mask made me look much taller, so they surely thought I was older than I was. I would tell my dad these people were making fun of me, but he told me to ignore it. Finally, my dad agreed to go somewhere else. Again, those boys were nearby, saying some nasty things about me. I'm always aware of people putting me down, so I was sure both those groups were making cruel remarks about my "costume". Some toddlers/5 yr. olds would approach me and "baa" or "bark" at me, and I'd mimic them just to please them. I gave one boy a high-five, and I waved, and all that. I didn't speak obviously, but overall I had fun with the small kids. Some would be afraid of me, which hurt just as much as the teens making fun of me. I understand that they'd be afraid of a giant animal, but it made me feel like a horrible person. As we moved along, we got close to my church friends playing basketball in an empty part of one of the parkinglots. My closest friend among the girls called me as she came up. But then I broke down. I kept sobbing "I can't take this anymore" and covered my now-maskless face. My dad thought we should go back to our van, so we left that bittersweet place. I heard my friend calling me worriedly, because she saw me crying, but I couldn't talk at the moment. I swore that I'd never go back to our Harvest Festival as long as we lived in California.
I wanted to do this because I COULD, I wanted to make people HAPPY, but most of the time I was hurt emotionally. The innocent and happy smiles and giggles were worth it, but the criticism of my older audience wasn't. I cry easily, so it wasn't easy. I actually felt tears sting my eyes while we were around the jumpers, but the mask hid them. I was hoping I'd be less of a social reject/anti-social person and be more outgoing and happy. Not much. Maybe not at all. I've always read about fursuiting ever since I discovered the fandom. It's probably been a year and 1/2 or even 2 years since I've been into it, but I never expected it to be that hard. I don't have nerves of steel.  :sad-fox:

So...does anyone have any helpful tips for fursuiting? And also I need some help with being confident when doing so. Trust me, I made sure my "partial" was good. It wasn't scary at all. It was ok...for a 14 yr. old.  :?
I want to be more brave when fursuiting, because I'm not gonna give up doing it. I'll improve even more with making them if I have to, but I just want to do it because of how people enjoy being dressed up as big, furry animals and how little kids think we are actually said animals.  :(
Thanks for any help.   :fox-:P:
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pronouns: [She/Her]

[IT'S THE POKE'POCALYPSE.]

Offline IogaDeWolf

• i am a trash bin
  • "People interest me, conversations don’t."
    • DeviantArt - IogaDeWolf
  • Fursona Species: Wolf/Rabbit
Re: "First Time Public Fursuiting"...Help me pls.
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 07:57:24 pm »
Hello, I'm fairly new here, but I have had a similar experience to yours, only on a smaller scale, and I wanted to put in my two cents.

My main advice is to wait, and then hide behind the character, and to also have a good handler.
Once you think your suit is of semi-good-quality, then feel free to wear it out. I learned the very hard way, people won't take you seriously unless there is some quality there. Practice, and then go out.

Once you are comfortable with the quality, and you are out and about, I tend to try and "become" the character. If you see people laughing at you, act as you think your character would. I wouldn't approach them, but acknowledge them all the same. Feel free to wave, look at them and then cock your head, look at them and then just continue your business, etc.

This is where the handler comes in. If they continue to laugh or poke fun at you, etc. Let your handler know what's going on, and that you need to avoid them for the rest of the event.

That's the best advice I can give you, and I wish you the best of luck!
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pronouns: She/Her/They/Them

Offline Binjo

• -screech-
  • Red Level
  • I want to visit New York this summer. :3
    • DeviantArt - [don't try to find me on dA]
  • Fursona Species: [current "species" : "pie-eyed" squirrel]
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2016, 10:59:38 am »
Thx. I'll keep that in mind. P:
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pronouns: [She/Her]

[IT'S THE POKE'POCALYPSE.]

Offline Xrig the wolf

• Punk wolf guy
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 93
  • Not a protogen more a wolf iron man
  • Fursona Species: Wolf
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 03:20:48 pm »
Even tho I haven't gotten a fur suit yet I've always dreamed of 1. going to furry gathering or 2. going to school on "dress up as your favorite character day" (I go to high school yet they still do it) in a fur suit full or partial and just showing that hi im a furry and im proud af to be one.
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pride Flag - genderfluid
  • Pronouns: he,him,his or male I dont really care
Strait! Strait as a board? Nup...

Hey if your deppresed, lonely, or just need a friend my discord and skype are both Grixblade... Dont worry I never sleep and I live for the sound of a call from someone!
Keep in mind I blush easy... http://www.thiscrush.com/~xrig