Author Topic: So you want to start a podcast?  (Read 756 times)

Offline SPOOKCIFUR ☠

• Let's go!
  • Administrator
  • Candies: 102
  • A' suh dudes!
    • DeviantArt - Spartan329
    • FurAffinity - LanceThyla
    • Twitter - Lancifur
    • Weasyl - Lance
    • My Tumblr.
  • Fursona Species: Thylacine
So you want to start a podcast?
« on: November 30, 2016, 06:59:09 pm »
Okay, so the thing about FTR(and really any other podcast) is that it appears to be a pretty simple project from the outside looking in, but you quickly realize that it's an incredibly time consuming one once you start getting involved with it.

I don't say this to discourage anyone, I merely want to give you a heads up on what the general discovery has been.

There's a list of things that you want to decide on before you even try to record anything.

---------------------------------------------

What will it be about?
First off, you'll want to decide what the general topic of your cast will be. If you're doing something like a League of Legends podcast, are you going to be discussing the game itself, the professional scene of it, the specific characters and stories of the universe, or something completely off the wall and novel?

With FTR this distinction becomes even more difficult as the Furry Fandom(and FT as a byproduct) doesn't exactly have patch notes, or a professional scene, or anything that even everybody on the forum tracks. This is one of the real challenges that past hosts have run into, the lack, or difficulty of finding, good content.

Who will be on it?
Now, the other thing about a podcast, is that everybody wants to be on it, however the harsh truth is, is that not everyone is suited to be a podcaster. Now this especially applies to being a regular host. You'll have two distinct and separate pools of people that you'll want to pull from at different intervals. These two groups will be called HOSTS and GUESTS. Your hosts will be your regular cast of people, whether that's 2 or 3(seem to be the sweet spot) regular hosts, it'll help make sure that you always have at least a couple people ready to record and give your audience a foundation to latch onto each episode and a basis/point of reference to compare guests to. Guests should usually be brought on for a reason, such as; You're discussing something this week and said person has a good amount of knowledge on the subject. This will save you so much time, and save you from so much pain and stress in the future.

How often will you release episodes?
Decide on a schedule from the beginning and stick to it. Have a deadline for when you want to have the episode recorded by. In my opinion, a specific day of each week works best if you're planning on having a weekly release, or a specific day of the month, for monthly. No matter what, set up a schedule with deadlines and make it your gospel.

Do you have recording hardware?
Here's where it gets a little more tricky to get set up. You'll need two kind of specific pieces of equipment to really get going. You'll need a non-laptop microphone and a pair of headphones. Built in laptop mics seem great but in reality are awful if you aren't sitting perfectly still the entire time. Something even as simple as a cheap headset mic will help alleviate a handful of problems that you'll run into with a built in mic. Test this before every single episode to check your mic position and distance from your mouth. Headphones are also essential, because while you can have everyone else play through your speakers, it makes for terrible sound quality and a whole lot of background noise coming from whomever doesn't have headphones. Background noise is bad. Fans, keyboards, and occasional family noise is whatever, but speaker noise is really bad, and really difficult to near impossible to completely remove.

Do you have recording/editing software?
If yes, cool. Then you most likely know what you're doing with it. Test your settings and go wild. If not, Audacity is free and should be required of every single person that is involved with the show in any way. Everyone should record their own audio, then send it to the editor to be cut together into a final product. You can use stuff like Callgraph and other programs that merely record the Skype call as it happens, but you get the Skype call, verbatim, with all the delay, lag, sound issues, etc etc, so I highly recommend using the more difficult method to achieve a higher audio quality.

Do you have the time/patience/know how to edit?
If yes, once again, cool. If not, then look up some basic videos on information about it, I'll paste some here later on. But mostly you want to either cut or mute any background noise that I mentioned above and make sure that everyone is in sync with one another. You'll also want to all start recording your audio as close to the same time as possible, "1, 2, 3, Record"

Good method I've found for syncing is going through each person saying.

X - "Hello, I am X. Today on the show we have Y."
Y - "Hello, I am Y"
X - "We also have Z"
Z - "Hi, I am Z"

Just something like that for everyone on each episode, that's clear and concise, that can be done before the actual show starts so that way the editor can get audio lined up correctly.

If no to any of the last three, do you know someone who does?
This one is pretty self explanatory. If you don't know how to do it, or don't have the time to learn, find someone who does.

-----------------------------------------------------

And there we go, a pretty bare bones guide on how to get any sort of podcast-like project started. There's a lot more that goes into hosting, promotion, etc etc, but that also doesn't come into play unless you're going solo. Anything through here will just need to be edited together, then go through an approval process and we'll decide from there.

My credentials for all of this are:
2 years of an Audio Major at Missouri State
Over 200 episodes as the Producer for the longest running League of Legends podcast.

Feel free to ask any other questions you have! I am more than willing to go into some of the more dull stuff if people have questions about it.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 08:44:45 pm by Lancey McLanceFace »
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Flag - usa
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - pansexual
  • Pride Flag - pansexual
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His

Offline Faithfull

• Always give %100
  • Candies: 329
  • Unless your giving blood. Save some for me, geeze.
  • Fursona Species: Vamperic Tiger
Re: So you want to start a podcast?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 08:56:59 pm »
You said that schedule was very important. What would you suggest a person still new to hosting podcasts, starting schedule be around?
And from past experience, how long should anyone wanting to do this, expect to spend on editing per episode?
  • Award - Holiday Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Pride Flag - polyamorous
▬▬▬▬▬▬⌘ஜ۩۞۩ஜ⌘▬▬▬▬▬▬
Chaotic Good ⧱ Bard/cleric ⧱ Faithfull's admirers'ENFJ ⧱ Hufflepuff ⧱ Pisces/Earth Tiger
▬▬▬▬⤪۩۞۩⤭▬▬▬▬
Icon 1/2 by Serana, 1/2 myself
⥿

Offline SPOOKCIFUR ☠

• Let's go!
  • Administrator
  • A' suh dudes!
    • Twitter - Lancifur
    • Weasyl - Lance
    • My Tumblr.
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 09:14:23 pm »
It all depends on you. In terms of a release schedule, I would say that the absolute fastest release schedule to go for now is every other week. Honestly though, I think for something as niche as FTR, one episode a month is good. Use some time to plan for it, then pick a night that you are free, maybe make it something like 3rd Sunday of the month so the date changes, but you'll be good and free on that night. (Just for example.) Then talk to people about being on it, make them work around your schedule, not vice versa(as tempting as it will be).

For someone just learning to edit, I would expect around double to triple the time of the episode if you really wanna go through it with a fine tooth comb, however if you're not wanting to take quite that much time, a quick listen through once should be able to get the big issues out.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Flag - usa
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - pansexual
  • Pride Flag - pansexual

Offline Faithfull

• Always give %100
  • Candies: 329
  • Unless your giving blood. Save some for me, geeze.
  • Fursona Species: Vamperic Tiger
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, 10:23:08 pm »
(kinda surprised no one else is asking anything, i'd assume many of us members would be at least curious)

Nother question for yeah, Lets say a member, anyone really, but for the sake of simplicity here, myself. Lets say I decided to give this a wack, should I set up, and record a podcast by myself, then send it to the staff as a pilot episode, or should I try and work with the staff to plan the first podcast. Basically, what I'm asking, is how does one "audition" for this? Does one even need to audition, or just make a podcast and send to the mods for final managing?
  • Award - Holiday Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Pride Flag - polyamorous
▬▬▬▬▬▬⌘ஜ۩۞۩ஜ⌘▬▬▬▬▬▬
Chaotic Good ⧱ Bard/cleric ⧱ Faithfull's admirers'ENFJ ⧱ Hufflepuff ⧱ Pisces/Earth Tiger
▬▬▬▬⤪۩۞۩⤭▬▬▬▬
Icon 1/2 by Serana, 1/2 myself
⥿

Offline SPOOKCIFUR ☠

• Let's go!
  • Administrator
  • A' suh dudes!
    • Twitter - Lancifur
    • Weasyl - Lance
    • My Tumblr.
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2016, 12:29:41 am »
The big steps you'd wanna take are to let staff know that you're interested, then if/when we give the go ahead, begin planning and set up the cast for the episode. Then after you get the first episode recorded, go ahead and edit it, then you'll send someone(most likely me) the finished episode and we'll either pass it or veto it. The final quality/content check is pretty straight forward and if it's alright will be put up.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Flag - usa
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - pansexual
  • Pride Flag - pansexual

Offline Emrys

• Green Level
  • Candies: 55
    • DeviantArt - PrinceDeathDefying
    • FurAffinity - PrinceDeathDefying
    • Twitter - GothSauce
  • Fursona Species: Gryphon
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2016, 03:06:16 pm »
This seems pretty cool! I'm definitely interested in doing something like this- though, we'll have to see after I start school up again, haha.  :lol-fox:
  • Flag - usa
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - pansexual
  • Pronouns: he/him/his - they/them/their
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255
{ Toyhouse | Thiscrush | Pet Me }