Author Topic: OPINIONS AND THOUGHTS ON KABY LAKE, AMD ZEN, AND UPCOMING GPUs!  (Read 251 times)

Offline LoyalPyra

• Les Claypool's #1 Fan
  • Board Moderator
  • Cookies: 136
    • DeviantArt - timeitcorrectly
    • FurAffinity - timeitcorrectly
    • Twitter - @TimeItCorrectly
  • Fursona Species: Protogen
OPINIONS AND THOUGHTS ON KABY LAKE, AMD ZEN, AND UPCOMING GPUs!
« on: December 02, 2016, 09:13:51 am »
So first of all, post your opinions if you'd like. Thanks!

Here are my opinions on some of Intels new CPUs coming up.
As some of you may know Intel is finally releasing an Unlocked Core i3 CPU the Core i3 7350k and I honestly am excited about that because we've had only one officially unlocked CPU in the newer platform and that was the G3258 Pentium, with this Core i3 I imagine we could get more overclocking enthusiasts to appear while being on a lower budget, I'd imagine you could easily get one to 5GHz with sufficient enough cooling and probably 5.6-6.25GHz with a good liquid cooler or using liquid nitrogen. Now talking about the other Kaby Lake CPUs, they don't offer enough extra performance to upgrade from Skylake, unless you just want the newest stuff.

Now my opinions on the upcoming Zen architecture from AMD.
I don't know much about Zen, as we don't have much information as of yet, other than we WILL in fact have AM3+ CPUs made for AM4 when it was released you should know your current AM3+ CPUs won't work in the AM4 socket, but the will make 8350, 8370, and 8320, etc.. for the AM4 socket, and Zen CPUs will have something similar to Hyper Threading, and AMD claims some of the CPUs that Zen will bring will outperform Haswell-E/Skylake/Broadwell-E CPUs which if it is true, that would bring AMD up, since they would be cheaper and a better option if you are on a budget.

Now opinions on upcoming GPUs.
Firstly the GTX 1080 ti, since nobody will stop talking about it, it seems it should have 10GB of GDDR5x and will offer similar performance to the Titan X (Pascal) as far as we know, but we won't know until we get benchmarks.        Now the RX490 we know nothing of this yet, but I believe this will offer similar performance to a 1070 or 980/980ti, we still know nothing about RX490 but I believe it will have 8-16GB of VRAM assuming it takes the direction that AMD usually takes with their GPUs.

Thanks for viewing, post opinions below, or let me know some stuff you find interesting, or want to have stuff known.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 11:13:11 am by SkylerSaysWhat »
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Flag - armenia
  • Site Donor
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - pansexual
  • Pronouns: she/her/hers
  • Award - Graphic Artist
:pyra:

Offline Vlad

• Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 55
Re: OPINIONS AND THOUGHTS ON KABY LAKE, AMD ZEN, AND UPCOMING GPUs!
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2016, 01:08:56 am »
I agree with you for the most part, though I'm a month or two behind on the latest news and not as up-to-date as I used to be.

Zen promises to shake things up a little at the very least and it'll be nice having some more viable, modern options from AMD. Hopefully it also brings the price of other chips down on the used market significantly, as that has a bigger impact on me directly (I build all my systems from used parts). I'd like to see the AM3+ FX series chips get down to a lower price, because while they don't make much fiscal sense to use currently verses used intel processors (mainly xeons), if the price were to drop enough they could become very viable for more entry level or lower mid-range systems. The 8350 isn't anything fantastic by today's standards, but compared to the cheaper quad-core and dual-core processors that are still common in the lower performance segments, it's a powerhouse and it's pretty darn capable for gaming and productivity. Also, it's just a fun overclocking platform, and I'd love to get my hands on another one to tune in.

As for the 1080 Ti and the 490... I don't really care that much about the Ti. Nvidia's lineup is already at the point where it can do basically anything the  average person could want or need, and the Titan and 1080 Ti are just a waste of money at this point in my opinion. Very few people will need it or have the system to benefit from it when compared to a 1080 or 1070. The 490 is exciting to me though, largely because I want to see what they do with it- I know early on there were rumours that it might be a dual-gpu card with two RX 480 cores on board, but it seems like they might just release it with the first of the Vega chips instead. It'll be very interesting either way, as this will be the top of AMD's current series of 'mainstream' GPUs before they start rolling out their high-end enthusiast oriented Vega lineup. Hopefully no matter what it ends up being, it drives costs down, but I do hope it's good and AMD can win back some more market share. Competition in the market is great for us consumers because it means cheaper, more powerful, more efficient products that are developed faster, from both companies.
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Pronouns: he/him/his

Offline LoyalPyra

• Les Claypool's #1 Fan
  • Board Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 03:30:04 am »
The 490 is exciting to me though, largely because I want to see what they do with it- I know early on there were rumours that it might be a dual-gpu card with two RX 480 cores on board, but it seems like they might just release it with the first of the Vega chips instead. It'll be very interesting either way, as this will be the top of AMD's current series of 'mainstream' GPUs before they start rolling out their high-end enthusiast oriented Vega lineup.
If AMD did release a dual GPU card on a single board it would probably be third party manufactured like the 390X2 by PowerColor but it is really hard to tell at this point, and we barely see dual GPU cards since the Titan Z and 295x2, so it'd be unlikely, but it could be possible that they have a dual GPU card and label it as the RX490 I'd think they'd use dual RX470 cores to keep they cost under $600, but it is honestly hard to tell with AMD.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Flag - armenia
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - pansexual
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Offline Vlad

• Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 55
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 12:55:25 am »
The 490 is exciting to me though, largely because I want to see what they do with it- I know early on there were rumours that it might be a dual-gpu card with two RX 480 cores on board, but it seems like they might just release it with the first of the Vega chips instead. It'll be very interesting either way, as this will be the top of AMD's current series of 'mainstream' GPUs before they start rolling out their high-end enthusiast oriented Vega lineup.
If AMD did release a dual GPU card on a single board it would probably be third party manufactured like the 390X2 by PowerColor but it is really hard to tell at this point, and we barely see dual GPU cards since the Titan Z and 295x2, so it'd be unlikely, but it could be possible that they have a dual GPU card and label it as the RX490 I'd think they'd use dual RX470 cores to keep they cost under $600, but it is honestly hard to tell with AMD.
Yeah, I was mainly referring to this speculation on Wccftech. There will almost definitely be dual-GPU RX cards from some of the third party manufacturers, but it's possible that this one will be a reference card specced as dual-GPU straight from AMD. Wccftech's rumors aren't always accurate but this one seems at least suspiciously coincidental. I wouldn't be terribly surprised if AMD is trying to bring multi-gpu setups more into the mainstream, seeing as they're going for cheaper more efficient cards over all and crossfire setups would pretty much be their main way to match some of the heavy-hitting Pascalle cards. Also with DirectX 12 and the onset of VR, having multiple gpus seems to be more useful, what with things like Explicit Multi Adaptor and VR SLI. If they released a dual-polaris 490, they'd have to rely a lot more on good driver support and dev support in games, but they could pull dual-gpu into a more common, lower price bracket if they did it right, and that's super exciting.
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Pronouns: he/him/his

Offline LoyalPyra

• Les Claypool's #1 Fan
  • Board Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 02:01:13 pm »
I think if AMD released a dual GPU card it would probably be targetted at 3D work and stuff like that, because the last
AMD dual GPU card was targetted like that, but I don't know I mean the last promissing dual GPU card I've tested was a Titan Z and that was a failure from the start, with poor scaling it flopped. But I have faith in AMD they tend to better on dual GPU cards than AMD.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Flag - armenia
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - pansexual
  • Award - Graphic Artist