Author Topic: What Masks Do You Wear?  (Read 282 times)

Offline [deleted]

• Red Level
  • Candy: 7
What Masks Do You Wear?
« on: December 21, 2016, 01:07:27 am »
All but the most honest of us must put on a dozen a day. Whether it's a mask you put on for family or friends, or a form of escapism for yourself, what are some of the masks you wear? 

I'm mature, Christian homeschooler to the majority of people I know in real life. Quiet, polite, smart, and wouldn't think a bad thought. 

To my closer friends, I'm an adorkable pop culture guru/nerdy girl who's been overly-sheltered by her parents but nearly caught up to the "outside world." 

To my Flash fanfiction followers, I'm a boy-crazy fangirl. To my sister, I'm the smarter but colder one that has no emotion. To y'all, I feel almost childish and overly-polite. To my writing buddies, I'm Little Miss Nice And Sweet Girl, with lots of sarcastic humor thrown in here and there. 

But none of these are me. And I think that IS me. I'm a collection of masks, some made-up lies told by myself and some outright stolen from people I know. (Apologies to my ex who may have dumped me for this very reason.) But all those masks ARE me now. 

What do you guys think? 

Offline XrigTheWolf

• Punk wolf guy
  • Blue Level
  • Candy: 97
  • It's that "Helpful" dude..
  • Fursona Species: Wolf
Re: What Masks Do You Wear?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2016, 03:03:53 am »
For most people Its to look as intelligent as possible.... Figured out a long time ago this keeps people away from you

For my friends its a funny guy.... thats just It

For the people who arent friends but arent just random people its kind.....

I like being all of these without strengthening or weakening anything....Also I love being helpful

Edit: hey at least you embrace it the more masks I slough off The more I wonder the same...
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 03:30:09 am by xrig the wolf »
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pride Flag - genderfluid
  • Pronouns: he,him,his or male I dont really care
Strait! Strait as a board? Nup...

Hey if your deppresed, lonely, or just need a friend my discord and skype are both Grixblade... Dont worry I never sleep and I live for the sound of a call from someone!
Keep in mind I blush easy... http://www.thiscrush.com/~xrig
Profile pick:
Line art: Panda
Colour: Alex

Offline flurry

• Purple Level
  • Candy: 137
  • sushi dog
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 04:01:29 am »
hmm I try not to put on a fullly new personality but i can say different people only see parts of who i am or depending on who i am with i try to act a bit more like them and hide some stuff. I don't always show artsy things or animal/furry stuff
  • Flag - britain
  • Pride Flag - androgynous
  • Pronouns: any

Offline Anacletus

• Is this the real life?
  • Candy: 354
  • Is this just fantasy?
    • FurAffinity - Faithfulswordsman
    • Twitter - @IsacTheProtogen
  • Fursona Species: Deer/Red Panda (Pandeer?)
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 05:49:07 pm »
Oh, I thought you meant real masks when I clicked this, but I guess you meant real masks..

For my family, I have to put on a mask of Christianity, I mean I still believe those teachings, its just I'm in a relationship that goes against that, so I have to pretend I'm still acting according to my own beliefs, and still single, if you understand that.

For most my friends... well I have to put on a mask of sanity, as I would call it, I see the world in such a way many would believe I really am insane, which is why I joke about being insane with you, if you guys are reading this. Its not that I don't trust you guys to understand, accept, or not discriminate, or anything like that, its just unless I'm trying to convince you to believe the same, I feel it really isn't needed for you to know, but hey, if you ever ask, I'll let you know.

And for most of society, I wear a mask of docilness. Basically meaning I love to fight (fair, sportsman like fights), and I have to pretend not to.
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - pansexual
  • Pronouns: He/him/his

Icon & Sig done by my GF

Offline [deleted]

• Red Level
  • Candy: 7
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2016, 12:43:46 am »
Xrig, you make a fantastic point about not appearing "too smart". I find myself dumbing down or smartening up the things I say relative to the person I'm talking to, often basing which direction I go on prejudice alone. Sigh. 

Flurry swift, I think those could count as masks. Maybe not a full fursuit, but perhaps a wee Ventian mask. Hiding bits and making little things up relative to who you're around. My dad would probably call that situational awareness, because it's as much about that person as it is about you. 

Faicail, I understand what you're going through. I hope things get easier and aren't as difficult as it seens they might be. And I have a theory that nearly everyone wears a mask of sanity. I know I do, both concerning real mental illness and the sort of "crazy" that composes my personality naturally. (Like the fact that I can spend a day speaking in nothing but Tumblr posts and musical lyrics.) 

Thanks for haring, guys! Part of me was wondering if maybe a lot more people are honest enough to not wear any masks, so it's good to know I'm unique but not alone. Which, in the end, is what every furry wants to be, I believe. 

Offline cvds

• Orange Level
  • Candy: 18
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2016, 02:22:25 am »
sleepy