Author Topic: Computer running slow + issues  (Read 187 times)

Offline Aoki

• Snow Enthusiast
  • Forum Elder
  • Cookies: 754
  • Merry Chrysler
    • FurAffinity - batroo
    • Twitter - aokibatroo
  • Fursona Species: Batroo (bat + kangaroo)
Computer running slow + issues
« on: December 27, 2016, 10:02:27 pm »
I have an Acer aspire 7551 on Windows 7
Lately it has been running slow a lot of "not responding" messages
The browser has been blocking adobe flash from running
I use Firefox since its the only one that runs decently on my computer
It tells me I need to update bing a lot which I just x out because I don't even use bing
I have no idea how to fix my issues
But just a heads up before anyone says anything I refuse to update my computer to windows 10
  • Site Donor
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt silver
  • Award - Halloween Hunt participant
  • Award - Holiday Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Offline HerrForehead

• Orange Level
  • Cookies: 14
  • I'm weird
    • DeviantArt - Spirit-Ulf
    • FurAffinity - HerrForehead
  • Fursona Species: Wolf/Dragon Hybrid and Foxtaur
Re: Computer running slow + issues
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016, 04:56:43 am »
Perhaps your main drive is nearly full? You could try and delete some programs if that is the case.
And I also recommend trying updating your drivers or the programs itself.
If none of that works, I recommend booting into safe mode, backing-up your files and important documents, and perform a factory reset.

I hope any of this appears to be helpful to you.
  • Flag - netherlands
  • Award - Holiday Hunt participant
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His

Offline Vlad

• Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 55
Re: Computer running slow + issues
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2016, 12:18:13 pm »
This doesn't sound like a full hard drive to me, and I doubt updating programs will help very much. Perhaps worth a try later. Reinstalling windows isn't a bad idea, but there are better options first.

I would go through your programs list and check for anything that's bloatware or stuff you don't need. In Windows 7, that's Control Panel > Programs > Uninstall a Program. It will display a list of all the programs installed on your computer, and you can get rid of any you don't need or want. I find it helpful to sort them by date installed (by clicking the "Installed On" header at the top of the list) so that I can see anything that came with the computer or programs I installed a long time ago and don't need anymore. If you see a program that has a strange name or you don't know what something is, you can look it up online. Websites like Should I Remove It are good resources (don't bother with their tool though).

Once you're done with that, go through your startup menu and turn off any programs you don't need to start up every time the computer does. A lot of programs will run updaters or background processes any time the computer is on, without you being able to see them, so turning them off should help your computer run better.

To do this, press the windows button and the R key at the same time to open the Run menu. Type in "msconfig" without quotations, and press enter. This will open a window labeled "System Configuration." Go to the Startup tab, and look at the list of programs- all of the ones that have the boxes checked are enabled to start every time the computer turns on. Go through them and decide what to turn off, unchecking the boxes of anything you don't need. When you are done, click Apply, then click Ok, and restart your computer. The changes should have taken effect at this point.

Just for example, you can disable startup for programs like iTunes, Spotify, or Bing Bar (which I'd just uninstall entirely). There will often be two entries for a program (Spotify and iTunes both do this), one for the program itself and one for a hidden background process that checks the web every now and then to see if there's any updates for that program. You may want to disable them both- doing so will just mean that the program will only check for updates when you open it manually, rather than checking on its own all the time. Again, looking things up is your friend here- you can often find what different startup entries are so you can make an educated choice whether to leave them enabled or not.

If you need further explanation on any of this, feel free to ask me for more details. The two steps above will likely help with your problem even if they don't entirely solve it, and I'd be happy to continue working with you on the issue if it's required! Hope you can get things taken care of.
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Pronouns: he/him/his