Author Topic: Honda Civic's  (Read 172 times)

Offline LoyalPyra

• icon by serana, pixels by graham and cutgut.
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 129
  • Armenian american
    • DeviantArt - timeitcorrectly
    • FurAffinity - timeitcorrectly
    • Twitter - @TimeItCorrectly
  • Fursona Species: Protogen
Honda Civic's
« on: January 06, 2017, 09:17:56 am »
Does anyone here have a Honda Civic from around the 1999-2003 era of the Honda Civic and mod them if so, does anyone recommend anything?
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Flag - armenia
  • Site Donor
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - pansexual
  • Pronouns: she/her/hers
  • Award - Graphic Artist
Taken by nastybread

Offline Sleek

• MoonMoon
  • Sitewide Moderator
  • Candies: 118
  • Gonna Get The Thing
    • DeviantArt - SleekHusky
    • FurAffinity - Sleek34
    • Twitter - SleekHusky
    • Weasyl - SleekHusky
  • Fursona Species: Huskeh
Re: Honda Civic's
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 10:32:29 am »
Most people here can't even drive yet let alone own their own car.

It's probably best you go to a Honda forum or some social media site like CarThrottle.

Though I do know people that DO specialize on Hondas (as in racing them in ametuer leagues) the one thing I would definitely recommend is weight reduction even a non vtec base model all stripped out is capable of a big improvement in speed. All around performance increase and it's mostly free (and maybe even makes money if you sell the removed bits). Though of course you need to do research and make sure not to compromise the car's safety and drivability.

What I would NOT recommend is trying a turbocharger/supercharger setup, it's expensive, requires a lot of planning and hacking, and often just leads to broken engines. This is mainly just because EK/EM generation along with the others were not built with turbos factory thus don't really have the designated space for intercooler piping and whatnot.

• Site Donor
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His/They/Them/Their
I try to manage some semi-official gaming events for this forum.
Twitch.tv livestreamer here
FT's Twitch Channel here

Offline LoyalPyra

• icon by serana, pixels by graham and cutgut.
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 129
  • Armenian american
    • DeviantArt - timeitcorrectly
    • FurAffinity - timeitcorrectly
    • Twitter - @TimeItCorrectly
  • Fursona Species: Protogen
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 11:23:08 am »

It's probably best you go to a Honda forum or some social media site like CarThrottle.

Alright
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Flag - armenia
  • Site Donor
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - pansexual
  • Pronouns: she/her/hers
  • Award - Graphic Artist
Taken by nastybread

Offline Vlad

• Yellow Level
  • Candies: 55
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 04:50:06 pm »
I don't personally have much experience with them, but there's a guy I know with a modded Civic, I think it's a late 90s one. He doesn't have any crazy mods, but I watched him put coilovers in it a few months ago, and I think he's done a bit of work under the hood. I can chat with him about it, see if there's anything you should know.

You know you can always talk with me about it on skype though, and I'm happy to help out how I can.

Most people here can't even drive yet let alone own their own car.

Though I do know people that DO specialize on Hondas (as in racing them in ametuer leagues) the one thing I would definitely recommend is weight reduction even a non vtec base model all stripped out is capable of a big improvement in speed. All around performance increase and it's mostly free (and maybe even makes money if you sell the removed bits). Though of course you need to do research and make sure not to compromise the car's safety and drivability.

What I would NOT recommend is trying a turbocharger/supercharger setup, it's expensive, requires a lot of planning and hacking, and often just leads to broken engines. This is mainly just because EK/EM generation along with the others were not built with turbos factory thus don't really have the designated space for intercooler piping and whatnot.

This is pretty good advice- car specific owners' forums are an amazing resource if you can find an active or formerly active one for your vehicle- should be easy for a Civic. That's where you can get advice from people that have worked on the car, tried different parts, and know all the little details about that model. I've found this to be one of the best possible sources of information especially if you can consult some of the real gurus, oftentimes forum staff or longtime members. And weight reduction is always a great mod for performance- pretty much the best possible place to start.

I think a lot of the concern about aftermarket boosted vehicles is due to people not putting in the money, time, or expertise into doing a proper setup, and break their vehicles with cheap or badly installed parts or by getting too greedy and knocking their boost pressure up to the point of throwing a rod. It is possible to safely boost a Civic and make good power from it, you just have to do your research, use quality parts, and not get too ambitious.

I doubt you'd blow an engine running on wastegate pressure with an appropriately sized, properly installed turbo. If you want serious power gains (think a boost controller and a large turbo), you'd want to rebuild the engine with stronger internals (pistons, rods, cylinder head studs, head gasket, among other things) so that it can handle the added heat and pressure, and that's where things get more expensive. And, as noted, those cars weren't designed to accommodate turbos, so you'll probably need to cut up the bumper to fit a front mount intercooler, and piping will be tricky. This is a common concern for charging most vehicles though, sometimes even ones that do come boosted from factory.

Basically, in most cases it's fine to turbo/supercharge an engine that wasn't designed for it as long as you're smart about it and don't go putting more stress on the engine than it can handle with stock internals. You won't be able to use as high of a boost pressure without risking engine damage, but you'll still get a decent performance improvement. Just do your research and get help from people with experience. I'm sure the different Civic forums all have plenty of threads and sub-forums dedicated to forced induction.
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Pronouns: he/him/his

Offline Sleek

• MoonMoon
  • Sitewide Moderator
  • Candies: 118
  • Gonna Get The Thing
    • DeviantArt - SleekHusky
    • FurAffinity - Sleek34
    • Twitter - SleekHusky
    • Weasyl - SleekHusky
  • Fursona Species: Huskeh
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2017, 06:29:03 pm »
https://speedracer.ca/portal/category/civic/

Found a page of the friend I know that somewhat follows their car's (Civic EG) build from a shell car to race car. However he hasn't really updated it since 2009 but hes still in the process of building it to this day. There is also some forum post on his engine swap from another parts civic but I can't find it right now.

• Site Donor
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His/They/Them/Their
I try to manage some semi-official gaming events for this forum.
Twitch.tv livestreamer here
FT's Twitch Channel here