Author Topic: Stop this...  (Read 288 times)

Offline Felesmic

• Jeb
  • Orange Level
  • Candies: 17
  • If I look dead try poking my skype or something.
    • FurAffinity - Felesmic
    • Twitter - Felesmic
  • Fursona Species: Silly Foxy
Stop this...
« on: January 06, 2017, 12:33:34 pm »
A little ranty today and I couldnt find a post to bump this on so pardon me if Im double posting or whatever but...

People Who Use Others Art for Their Own Display
This may be a strong word to use but I HATE people who go on google images and search something like "Fox Fursona" Then they set one of the pictures they like to their profile pic on whatever or a youtube icon or something like that. NO!!! DO NOT DO THIS!!! That piece of art was most likely off of Deviant Art or Fur Affinity meaning its 99% likely to be a piece of art someone PAID FOR WITH MONEY. You doing this is SUPER disrespectful to the artist and the person who purchased the art (If any). Lets say I get a commission from someone on here and they are willing to pay 10$ for their fursona to be done. Then after I do that they get the art I get the money but someone else says "Hey, that looks cool, Im going to make that my character" IT IS REALLY BAD AND FROWNED ON ANYWHERE THERE IS ART. Personally I have seen some people on here with art they don't own or have rights to use it. Some of them don't even know WHO is in the art. Personally I will not respond to messages or reply to anything from anyone with (Ill just call it this for now) stolen art.
People who disrespect their artist(s)
Im talking about the kind of people who want free art.... and think they deserve it... FROM ANY ARTIST. I used to talk to an artist who had paid commissions and they had people come up to them and say something like "Hey could you just sketch me my fursona in like 2 mins for free plz" And they would say no I'm sorry but you have to pay for that, like no big deal right? Then that person comes back the next day, and the next with the word DEMAND in their messages until they were blocked. Also the people who want a super short time window for FREE art to be done as in like 1 day for a full piece.

Thats kinda it but there is ALLOT more that I wanted to say but I didnt want The Great Wall of China to look small compared to it.
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Pronouns: They/Them/Theirs or He/Him/His
Some gay (well... mostly) fox boi - signing off!

Offline Shia

• Disco Manokits
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 261
  • *noms a moonpie*
    • DeviantArt - discomanokit
    • FurAffinity - discomanokit
    • Twitter - discomanokit
  • Fursona Species: Manokit
Re: Stop this...
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 12:40:17 pm »
I couldn't have said this better myself. Someone pays for the piece of art with hard-earned money, and someone else steals that art, gives the character a backstory, and whatever the thief does reflects upon the image. I understand if some people don't know any better, but those who know yet continue to do so are just plain ignorant.

One possible solution to the problem could be to watermark ALL public art with a center watermark and keep the private, full-res images to the artist and the commissioner. It'll be easier to call out art thieves of any kind that way

And oh geez the "art entitled" >.< it's awful and they all have crazy expectations. A solution to that would be to delete/block someone if they get really pushy or anything

There's always a solution to the problem, but the people who steal in the end are the ones who can entirely stop this problem.

Furry commissions are NOT STOCK IMAGES

Finally someone who's called out this problem ^^ Cookies for you :cookie:
  • Flag - usa
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Pronouns: she/her/hers

Offline Noise

• Mummy Boi
  • Forum Elder
  • Candies: 738
  • Candy Corn = Life
    • FurAffinity - cactle
  • Fursona Species: Wickerbeast
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 02:14:25 pm »
Don't forget recolors of stuff
I've seen so many people have their furosnas stolen and the person just tweak a few colors
There's so many free to use bases
Its not that hard to even color a base and make an original chara
  • Site Donor
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt silver
  • Award - Halloween Hunt participant
  • Award - Holiday Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
  • Award - Graphic Artist

• split your infinities
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 59
  • By irishthorns@FA
    • FurAffinity - aurorapaws
    • Twitter - aurorafatalis
  • Fursona Species: a cleverly arranged amalgamation of carbon compounds
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 05:20:26 pm »
This, so much!

I'll admit, when I was 11-13 and just starting out, I didn't really know any better. But as I began to understand the meaning of a fursona on a deeper level and the amount of effort that artists put into their work, I realized how wrong this was. I hope it's mostly just a matter of imparting this on younger members of the fandom.

For those who understand what they're doing and continue: keep in mind that while you may not have professional drawing skills and would have trouble making your own icon, people will take you much more seriously than if you set art by someone like Falvie (a prime example here on FT) as your profile picture when it is obviously not yours.
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pride Flag - demiromantic

None of this will matter
20 years from now

Offline Serana

• In the moon I see everything!
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 241
  • And I see you giving me candy!
    • DeviantArt - WolfGodess12
    • FurAffinity - SnowFeline
    • Twitter - SnowFelineArts
    • Weasyl - SnowFeline
  • Fursona Species: Vampiric Moth
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2017, 05:36:31 pm »
Yes YES thank you, I'm getting real annoyed with the art theft I see in general and the amount of times people use Falvie's work as an icon, just ugh. I know her stuff is cool but you didn't pay for it, its not your character, don't use it, its not a free stock image(this goes for everyones art Falvie just seems to be the most popular when it comes to icons, especially on forums).
I can understand for newbies they don't know any better, I mean I never did it even when I thought my art was the crappiest thing but I didn't know any better tbh till a bit later.
Oh and I facepalm everytime I see somebody asking a working artist for free art, or when someone offers free art but they are super specific. I try to be as simple as possible when I ask for requests which is not often.

And back on the art theft thing, the safest thing to do which unfortunately a lot artists don't do is watermarking. I almost never post unwatermarked images anymore and when I do its only personal art. I can't help it when my customers post the unwatermarked versions though.
  • Flag - usa
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - demisexual
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

AKA Nagi, feel free to call me whatever.
Proud Otherkin and slightly ashamed Fictionkin
Don't take things I say very seriously, I tend to joke around.

|FurAffinity / ToyHou.se / Tumblr / ThisCrush|

Offline Adadave

• INFP Personality~
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 60
  • [icon by a friend named Shaidz on dA]
    • DeviantArt - Adadave
    • Twitter - @AdadaveE
  • Fursona Species: A Fox with a werid mind
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2017, 05:48:07 pm »
Yeahh... I didn't know any better a couple years ago and set as my profile picture, for the longest time, someone's artwork/character as a profile picture.
And then I traced their character, recolored it and set it as a profile picture XD 

And now I finally made my own stuff and set it as my profile picture.
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pride Flag - homoflexible
  • Pronouns: He/His/Him They/them

Reality is the things that, no matter how hard you try, won't cease to exist.
Plz don't be werid XP -> http://www.thiscrush.com/~adadave

Offline Felesmic

• Jeb
  • Orange Level
  • Candies: 17
  • If I look dead try poking my skype or something.
    • FurAffinity - Felesmic
    • Twitter - Felesmic
  • Fursona Species: Silly Foxy
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2017, 02:10:28 am »
I'm so glad so many of you agree with me on this, I also can admit to using other peoples artwork at a younger age. Im sure most if not all of us have just out of "That looks cool!" And that's all that mattered as a kid right?
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Pronouns: They/Them/Theirs or He/Him/His
Some gay (well... mostly) fox boi - signing off!