Author Topic: Styles, and me overthinking stuff:  (Read 149 times)

Offline The not scary Dave

• INFP Personality~
  • Blue Level
  • Cookies: 64
  • [icon by a friend named Shaidz on dA]
    • DeviantArt - Adadave
    • Twitter - @AdadaveE
  • Fursona Species: A Fox with a werid mind
Styles, and me overthinking stuff:
« on: January 21, 2017, 06:45:03 pm »
So I keep on hearing everywhere that you shouldn't idolize other people's artwork, and that you need to work on making your own style.

And tbh despite only being at it for a couple years I feel like I'm not doing this right.

Like... I have a few artists I practically idolize their work and style and as time's gone on a few of the things in their styles ended up in my work, without me even thinking about it.
And the funny thing is I sometimes don't even like my own style, especially when I try making it digital (because it looks bad when I try doing it digital and I don't know how to make it not look so bad or how to work my phone so I can just draw it without it being so messy).

So I kinda feel like I'm failing at making my own style or something like all these sites say someone needs to do to be a good artist.
I even have a lot of moments of pure frustration because I want to draw something and then as I draw it I mess it up, or I mess up on some simple things that add up and it looks horrible.

IDK any thoughts?
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pride Flag - homoflexible
  • Pronouns: He/His/Him They/them

Reality is the things that, no matter how hard you try, won't cease to exist.
Plz don't be werid XP -> http://www.thiscrush.com/~adadave

Offline Red Velvet

• Cake Dragon
  • Sitewide Moderator
  • Cookies: 273
  • It's peppermint season!
    • FurAffinity - SenseiMac
    • Twitter - redvelvetdrago
    • Personal Tumblr
  • Fursona Species: Dutch Angel Dragon
Re: Styles, and me overthinking stuff:
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 06:53:06 pm »
Personally, this is just my two cents as an art student-- don't try to focus on style at all. Just draw what feels right to you, and work ONLY on fundamentals for a while. Learn anatomy, value, sighting/measuring, color and color theory, etc.

A style of your own will naturally develop, and it will NEVER stay the same. Artists are always growing and changing, even professionals. Don't try to 'stick' to something.

And digital art does not an artist make! If you feel more comfortable or more proud of your traditional work, then by all means, stick with traditional until you find a solid way to make digital stuff that you're proud of. Digitizing something doesn't automatically make it magically good or better than traditional or anything.

It's good to 'steal' style techniques from other artists, all that being said. Take bits and pieces you like in other works and try to implement them in your own, as long as you do not steal any of their content.

Hopefully that helped some!!
  • Flag - usa
  • Award - Holiday Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - demisexual
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Trello | Portfolio | FurAffinity | Buy Me a Coffee? | ToyHouse | Dragons | Flight Rising
♥ Hopelessly in love with Proto
:aesthetic:
If you'd like to commission me, please click my Trello!

Offline Eden

• Just a sad little foxo!
  • Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 34
  • Stay Alive |-/
    • FurAffinity - ~eden
  • Fursona Species: Gray Fox (The "r" is optional ;3)
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 08:48:16 pm »
I agree with Red!  The first thing is to understand the anatomy of what you're drawing and feel comfortable enough to do it in a unique way.  And stealing aspects from other peoples styles is fine!  I don't even like using the word stealing because you can't own a way to draw something lol, but like Red said don't copy/trace their art (you probably already knew that though heh).  Ive heard an artists "style" described as their favorite aspects of their favorite artists, just don't try to copy one artists exact style you'll never be happy even if it looks good.  Also when I first started digital I was so frustrated, so try to remember that learning digital is the same as learning any other medium it takes time.  One last thing!  Reading stuff about making a style for yourself can be helpful, but it's different for everyone.  An artists style is really a personal thing and you can't fail at it it just takes time.  You have to discover what makes you happy! :fox-:):  so good luck and keep creating!!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 08:50:17 pm by Eden »
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His

PM me or check out my FA if you want to do a trade or commission me! Thanks!! <3

Offline The not scary Dave

• INFP Personality~
  • Blue Level
  • Cookies: 64
  • [icon by a friend named Shaidz on dA]
    • DeviantArt - Adadave
    • Twitter - @AdadaveE
  • Fursona Species: A Fox with a werid mind
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 02:17:13 am »
Ah Ok i understand a bit better now guys :D

and I've been having abit of block too and not knowing what to draw so I got a bit frustrated... Apperently your mental state effects your motivation (who knew XP)

I'm not worrying about how my style is now. I'm thinking I'll keep referencing stuff. And I think I should draw other people's characters of different species more often when I draw furries because it'd help me find a baseline for stuff and show if I really know the differences in anatomy for different characters' species.

I've been doing some of the stuff people keep recomending me to do before. (granted more often would be nice...)

I've been trying to pay attention to where at least major muscles are when I draw some stuff, even if it's just in the outline.

I should maybe do some actual realistic drawings of torsos and such to get muscles right. Which I actually have motivation to do because I find shirtless guys cute XD
I also should take a drawing class at school since that would allow me to have a period devoted to drawing. And I hear the teacher is pretty good.
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pride Flag - homoflexible
  • Pronouns: He/His/Him They/them

Reality is the things that, no matter how hard you try, won't cease to exist.
Plz don't be werid XP -> http://www.thiscrush.com/~adadave