Author Topic: Romantic Grammar  (Read 199 times)

Offline Adrian the Goat

• Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 37
  • Fursona Species: Goat
Romantic Grammar
« on: January 26, 2017, 10:41:09 pm »
If you can't tell, I've had a very languistically challenged evening. I've been studying Spanish for two years at school and French on my own starting a few weeks ago. I've noticed that in Spanish, "me", the first-person objective noun, will often take the front of the sentence. All other objective nouns are subject to the same rule. French uses a similar rule, but the noun will preceed the verb rather than the sentence itself. These sentences are always effective and suggest action, but I find it hard to know when an objective is used instead of a standard pronoun. For example, in English we say, "I see you," but it's, "Te veo." This is simple enough, but then there comes sentences such as, "I like it," which is, "Me gusta," which actually translates to, "This pleases me." How are you supposed to identify when a sentence uses the objective if sentences can change entirely? I find it very difficult, especially in complex sentences where it can happen many times. On a similar note, French uses a weird rule in questions regarding the structure. "Qu'est-ce...", always comes before a question using "what". In certain cases, even a pronoun is added such as "il". "What is this is?" is translated to, "Qu'est-ce que c'est?" which actually means, "What is this, this is?" I really don't understand why this rule exists and the rules that go with it, such as when pronouns are used with it. It'd be really appreciated if someone can help me understand these rules.
  • Flag - usa
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His

Offline Aurum Collie

• Some collie guy
  • Orange Level
  • Cookies: 15
  • "Ars Longa, Vita Brevis." -Hippocrates
    • DeviantArt - pd1705
    • FurAffinity - pd1705
    • Twitter - @thatdangcollie
  • Fursona Species: Rough Collie
Re: Romantic Grammar
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 10:57:17 pm »
Hello, native Spanish speaker here!

I would say that the best way to learn a new language's rules is through examples (because only then can you have a reference to replicate, and to understand).
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His