Author Topic: Why are console games so expensive?  (Read 251 times)

Offline HerrForehead

• Orange Level
  • Candies: 14
  • I'm weird
    • DeviantArt - Spirit-Ulf
    • FurAffinity - HerrForehead
  • Fursona Species: Wolf/Dragon Hybrid and Foxtaur
Why are console games so expensive?
« on: February 08, 2017, 01:06:34 pm »
Maybe it's just me, but being the Nintendo fanboy I was, I did step over to PS4. That's because it has better multiplayer options, and many Final Fantasy games. Also, it is a next -gen console, which many of my friends have.

But the first thing I noticed is the TERIBBLY HIGH prices.
Like, WHAT!?

I remember Nintendo games being around 45 euro.
Now, most new games cost around 70 euro.

What are your thoughts on this?
  • Flag - netherlands
  • Award - Holiday Hunt participant
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His

Offline Izzy the Foxdeer

• Signature hearts by Jasper/Coffee
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 52
  • icon by I.S.A.C.
    • DeviantArt - multifandomed25
    • Twitter - multifandomed25
    • Tumblr
  • Fursona Species: Grey fox/reindeer hybrid
Re: Why are console games so expensive?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 01:52:08 pm »
I've noticed the same thing. Maybe they secretly want no one to buy the game and that's why it's so expensive, lol
  • Flag - usa
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - pansexual
  • Pride Flag - demigirl
  • Pronouns: She/her they/them
worlds most pan-tastic demigirl and maybe otherkin
check out my tumblr | confess love here | pet me please?

Offline flurrin

• Purple Level
  • Candies: 128
  • sushi dog
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 02:08:09 pm »
Because people will still buy them at those prices since they assume gamers will always buy games. Also I guess it allows them to make the console cheaper so instead they make money on the games.
  • Flag - britain
  • Award - Holiday Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - androgynous
  • Pronouns: any
profile pic by ShopePapilloma

Offline Gaz

• The Mobile
  • Candies: 287
  • FT's Unofficial Disc Jockey
    • Twitter - @GlitterLiquor
    • Song I listen to far too much
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 02:14:09 pm »
It's a cornered market pretty much, meaning the creators can come up with whatever price they see fit.
$60 (they usually costs even more in other countries than in the USA) is most likely the ideal price range because they are making great profit but at the same time it's not asking for a simply unreasonable amount of money.

Gaming also increases in popularity everyday and if your an avid gamer then it's more than likely that eventually there will be a game that you just have to own.
They also target an audience that is mainly younger people who don't really have an estimate of what a good price is. And of course that makes it easier for them to profit.

I will agree however that I believe prices could definitely be dropped, there is no doubt that they would still make money if they dropped the price by twenty or so.
  • Pride Flag - pansexual
Feel free to contact me with questions, concerns,
or if you just want to talk.

Offline Dyno Fluff

• Will you be loving me forever...
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 78
  • ... Or will you be loving me just tonight?
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 02:58:55 pm »
It's a cornered market pretty much, meaning the creators can come up with whatever price they see fit.
$60 (they usually costs even more in other countries than in the USA) is most likely the ideal price range because they are making great profit but at the same time it's not asking for a simply unreasonable amount of money.

Gaming also increases in popularity everyday and if your an avid gamer then it's more than likely that eventually there will be a game that you just have to own.
They also target an audience that is mainly younger people who don't really have an estimate of what a good price is. And of course that makes it easier for them to profit.

I will agree however that I believe prices could definitely be dropped, there is no doubt that they would still make money if they dropped the price by twenty or so.

In my opinion it's all greed at this point. Much more demand could be satisfied if they lowered the prices, but they don't actually care, they just want to maximise their profit of course, that's just good business. Personally I'm not buying next gen stuff, the price has steered me, as well as many others, completely off the gaming market. I definitely agree with you Gaz.

Also, it's not just AAA games either, indie gamers expect 30 or 40 dollars for their small game. Totally not worth it in my opinion.
♪ How do I say goodbye to what we had? The good times that made us laugh, outweigh the bad. I thought we'd get to see forever, but forever's gone away. It's so hard to say goodbye to yesterday♪
The Chaotix animated by AndrewHDz

Offline Adrian the Goat

• Yellow Level
  • Candies: 37
  • Fursona Species: Goat
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 08:10:23 pm »
The standard around the entire gaming industry is $60 in the United States, even for computer games. The reason why computer games seem to be cheaper is because they're mostly purchased when they're on sale. The actual reason why their price is so high is rather unkoan outside of the industry, but I can try to explain it to the best of my ability. First, programming software is extremely expensive and the newer game programming software is getting higher in quality, meaning that the price of the games themselves must be higher for the company to make a profit. They have to buy the software for the whole studio as well. Computers are also very expensive and updates are constantly required, meaning that the price of technology is also involved in the price, Added with labor and all, it can cost a developer several millions of dollars to profuce a game, especially triple A titles. The economy also effects the total value of video games due to inflation and taxes. Video games really didn't hit a price in the United States until the 2009 housing crisis which sent the dollar into a recession. The euro also suffers from severe economic fluxation, meaning that the currency itself will raise the prices over time.
  • Flag - usa
  • Pride Flag - bisexual

Offline LoyalPyra

• icon by serana, pixels by graham and cutgut.
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 129
  • Armenian american
    • DeviantArt - timeitcorrectly
    • FurAffinity - timeitcorrectly
    • Twitter - @TimeItCorrectly
  • Fursona Species: Protogen
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2017, 01:48:47 pm »
Maybe it's just me, but being the Nintendo fanboy I was, I did step over to PS4. That's because it has better multiplayer options, and many Final Fantasy games. Also, it is a next -gen console, which many of my friends have.

But the first thing I noticed is the TERIBBLY HIGH prices.
Like, WHAT!?

I remember Nintendo games being around 45 euro.
Now, most new games cost around 70 euro.

What are your thoughts on this?

PC and Console games tend to be really expensive. Mainly because the companies need ways to make money, they usually go on sale on PC though, so it's sometimes beneficial to playing on PC but I know what you mean, last time I had a console I bought a new game and it was like $50USD
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Flag - armenia
  • Site Donor
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - pansexual
  • Pronouns: she/her/hers
  • Award - Graphic Artist
Taken by nastybread