Author Topic: "Fursuiting" in public...in California.  (Read 376 times)

Offline Binjo

• -screech-
  • Red Level
  • Cookies: 3
  • I want to visit New York this summer. :3
    • DeviantArt - [don't try to find me on dA]
  • Fursona Species: [current "species" : "pie-eyed" squirrel]
"Fursuiting" in public...in California.
« on: February 19, 2017, 09:38:55 pm »
[I made a post / topic discussing an incident on Halloween, but this is a little different, and I'm seeking different answers now. And if you have the time and patience to help me, please real this whole thing. If not...]

So...after taking the time to [try] to imrpove on making a [partial] fursuit, I'm satisfied with my latest abominational scrappy creation. No, I'm not commision / artist material, but I'm sure I'm making progress in inproving.

...ANYHOO...
I made a not-so-kid-friendly-looking rabbit, with his skull exposed instead of a face, no eyes, and a petite little bone tail. Now, you're gonna ask me "why da fuh does a rabbit have a rat / long tail?", and my answer is...Idk. I wanna make things interesting, m'kay. It's not completely done, but I plan to use it when I finish it. Trust me, it's much MUCH better than my other works.

So when it does finish...I want to wear it on Easter [at church; I'm doing it on purpose this time, because I wanna scare the stuffing out of the kids there], but I mostly want to wear it at a park or downtown [that's a little iffy, since loads of young adults go there and will instantly see me as their prey for being made fun of]. The only problem I have so far is...this dumb California law.

"CA Penal Code Section 185.
It shall be unlawful for any person to wear any mask, false whiskers, or any personal disguise (whether complete or partial) for the purpose of:
One--Evading or escaping discovery, recognition, or identification
in the commission of any public offense.
Two--Concealment, flight, or escape, when charged with, arrested
for, or convicted of, any public offense.
Any person violating any of the provisions of this section shall be deemed guilty of a misdemeanor."

Evading or escaping discovery, recognition, or identification
in the commission of any public offense.
How am I supposed to prove that I'm not a criminal nor am I running from the police? I also saw some bit mentioning people under 16, but that still won't protect me. God, I wish I lived in Indiana [I doubt that wouldn't be any different].

I'm not gonna go chasing little kids with a knife or anything, I'd just hang out around my little brother and act a little silly. I watched loads of videos of people fursuiting and read many "tips" on how to fursuit in public.

Well, they always say you should go fursuiting with a couple of other people [none at my location].
They also say you need a handler [I'm...just gonna go over here...with meh parents...where I'm safe...le scoots away].
And if any kid has the nerve to approach me, I'm not gonna touch 'em or anything, I'll only hold up my hands and wave a little, let them give me a high five or something [because I've done that before in le "incident"] but nothing else.
And NEVER will I EVER go around people who are suspicious of me. I'll always be near my family so they know that I'm NOT A CREEPY MIDGET. :shock:
Maybe I should have a little easter basket with me with empty plastic eggs [to throw at my brother].
Idk.

So..if any of you live in California [and ever fursuited there at a public place, excluding charities or cons or whatever] can you help me out with this? I really want to do it at a park, especially, because I wanna have a swingset to go strangle and tangle myself up in; I'm so immature for my age, I guess].

And no, I really don't wanna ask a policeman, because mostly it depends on what seems like a threat to each individual cop, and they'll also think I'm crazy.

tl;dr : I wanna wear my scrappy partial, but CA laws on masks make so sense. Help pls.

-----------------------------------------------

I'm gonna put meh photos here. You wanna see my photos? No? TOO BAD, you're gonna have to see them, and I'm gonna warn you...they are 100% not professional material.

• Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pronouns: [She/Her]

[IT'S THE POKE'POCALYPSE.]

Offline The not scary Dave

• INFP Personality~
  • Blue Level
  • Cookies: 64
  • [icon by a friend named Shaidz on dA]
    • DeviantArt - Adadave
    • Twitter - @AdadaveE
  • Fursona Species: A Fox with a werid mind
Re: "Fursuiting" in public...in California.
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 01:40:28 am »
It seems like the law is just for if you have any criminal intent?
You aren't in it because you're going to attempt a crime nor are you in it because you did a crime.
Other people in california fursuit all the time so it should be ok. (just... yeah... your parents should know to keep an eye on ya.)

(also that's a very nice skull fursuit! I usually don't like them but I LOOVEEE yours)
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pride Flag - homoflexible
  • Pronouns: He/His/Him They/them

Reality is the things that, no matter how hard you try, won't cease to exist.
Plz don't be werid XP -> http://www.thiscrush.com/~adadave

Offline Izzy the Foxdeer

• Signature hearts by Jasper/Coffee
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 53
  • icon by I.S.A.C.
    • DeviantArt - multifandomed25
    • Twitter - multifandomed25
    • Tumblr
  • Fursona Species: Grey fox/reindeer hybrid
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 03:05:03 pm »
First off- that fursuit is hella good dude!
Second- I think carrying around an Easter basket or something would help a lot with making you seem not threatening, especially if you plan to do it near/on Easter.
  • Flag - usa
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - pansexual
  • Pride Flag - demigirl
  • Pronouns: She/her they/them
worlds most pan-tastic demigirl and maybe otherkin
check out my tumblr | confess love here | pet me please?

Offline Bones

• Cactus Enthusiast
  • Forum Elder
  • Cookies: 752
  • We didn't start the fire
  • Fursona Species: Bearded Vulture
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 03:22:33 pm »
I know everyone here means well but you should follow the law if certain places have that rule. Like a store or shopping center or mall, etc.
Last thing you want is to get in trouble
But doing it at a park or a get together shouldn't be a problem
Just stay safe
  • Site Donor
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt silver
  • Award - Halloween Hunt participant
  • Award - Holiday Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Offline Binjo

• -screech-
  • Red Level
  • Cookies: 3
  • I want to visit New York this summer. :3
    • DeviantArt - [don't try to find me on dA]
  • Fursona Species: [current "species" : "pie-eyed" squirrel]
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 09:08:21 pm »
I really can't get a real answer for my situation, so I guess I'll follow the basic rules [staying near my family / listening to police and authority and all]. :>
Once again, thx for (any of) the answers you guys have for me. I won't be asking for help for a really long time...well, at least not in this forum, because I don't wanna be irritating.
And I'll most likely get a stroke from being too nervous and die on the sidewalk. :eye:
----------------------------------------
"I think carrying around an Easter basket or something would help a lot"
Yea, I've been thinking about doing that. XD
And I'd be more than happy to have an excuse to carry eggs and pelt my brother(s) with them.
And it makes me happy to hear that my "fursuit" ok. It has a couple of flaws, but I'm good with it. :heart:
:cookie:
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pronouns: [She/Her]

[IT'S THE POKE'POCALYPSE.]

Offline Dr. Noon

• ★⋆ Call me Mommy ⋆★
  • Blue Level
  • Cookies: 48
  • ~ The Best Mamma Cat ~
    • DeviantArt - Lions-Game
    • Bork
  • Fursona Species: Orange Tabby
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 09:09:42 pm »
Your suit looks amazing!
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Flag - france
  • Award - Halloween Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - polyamorous
  • Pronouns: They/Them
  • Award - Graphic Artist
~Hello there~

Offline ZuzuFox

• Gay the Pray Away!
  • Orange Level
  • Cookies: 22
  • Sub to me on iFunny! "ZuzuFox"
    • My Official Youtube!
  • Fursona Species: Fox Dog Wolf Hybrid
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2017, 11:43:39 pm »
That is a really stupid law. You're (probably) not running from the law, and its pretty stupid because it violates your right to freedom and you're unalienable right to pursuit of happiness. (Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness)
  • Flag - mexico
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His