Author Topic: Get Out  (Read 174 times)

Offline Adrian the Goat

• Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 37
  • Fursona Species: Goat
Get Out
« on: March 21, 2017, 10:15:33 pm »
Although I'm not one for horror movies, I decided to go see Get Out which has all ready recieved great reception within the film industry. The movie tells the story of a young African American who visits his girlfriend's Caucasian parents who have some rather dark secrets. The movie was directed by a person with a rather well known name, Jordan Peele, who starred in Nickelodeon's sketch comedy show, "Key and Peele". This is Peele's very first film and I have to say that I'm rather impressed. I noticed from the very first scene that Peele knew what he was doing. The acting in the film is well done, although I do find some moments to be rather awkward at times. The best performance was by far LilRel Howery who played a T.S.A. officer. He provided a lot of comic relief in the film and I think his acting was brilliant. I did refer to comedy in this film, and it is present. The film is sprinkled with satire throughout, mainly focused on the racial tention found in the United States. The film as a horror movie also works, but not in the sense of more traditional horror. The film takes a more suspense approach to horror and more physcological than physical scares, similar to "The Twilight Zone". As someone who isn't into horror films, I can say that this well appreciated because I could honestly say that it's fine for other more easilly scared people to watch. I think that Bradley Whitford and Catherine Keener did a fantastic job at portraying the cynical parents of the main character's love interest. Their appearance in the movie is exactly who they are morally. I find it hard to explain how well they done. I do find that the film suffers from pacing issues and also some problems with development. The movie sometimes moves at a quick pace and then it will suddenly slow down. The transitions in the story are sometimes awkward and sudden which left me confused during the earlier scenes of the movie. The film also seems to lose focus a few times. Some moments during the storyline feel inapproprite as if they were an unplanned addition to the script. I will say though this is Jordan Peele's first film and there obviosuly will be some problems with it. I think as he gets more experience, these issues will be few and far between and even expert directors with decades of experience make mistakes. Other than the issues with pace and development though, I think it was a great movie and I'd reccomend anyone who likes horror or suspense to go watch it and even those who think it may be a great film. It was well worth it. My score for Get Out is an 8.0 out of 10.0.
  • Flag - usa
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His