Author Topic: Watchmen  (Read 214 times)

Offline Aurum Collie

• Some collie guy
  • Orange Level
  • Cookies: 15
  • "Ars Longa, Vita Brevis." -Hippocrates
    • DeviantArt - pd1705
    • FurAffinity - pd1705
    • Twitter - @thatdangcollie
  • Fursona Species: Rough Collie
Watchmen
« on: March 11, 2017, 11:08:12 pm »
One of the most iconic comics of the 80s, Watchmen made its way into pop culture for its impact and relevance in terms of reflection of "modern" society (this comic was made over twenty years ago, but still is poignant to this time). It even got a spot on TIME's list of 100 best novels. It was a story that changed the whole idea of comics up to that point - that superhero comics could go dark, too. It shows moral struggle, personal development, and other interesting themes. The story deals with superheroes, costumed vigilantes who face subjection/oppression in the face of a government and society that not only fears them, but limits them due to that fear. It is a satire of what an ideal comic superhero is. It probably was one of the best explorations of this medium of expression, as it broke typical boundaries that comics had up to that point. The superheroes are not placed as idols and near perfect and sympathetic beings, but people with flaws and who are stigmatized by being isolated from others as a superior group, in terms of having more physical ability and superpowers. I am not much of a comic fan myself, but it is one that I read in my English class and analyzed it for its themes and reflection on modern society. I really liked it for its art, story and characters. I would recommend it, it's a good read.

Anyone else know about this comic series here? If so, what do you think about it? Did you enjoy it? Just general comments on it?

« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 11:20:43 pm by PD1705 »
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His