Author Topic: Outdated forum?? [Suggestion]  (Read 216 times)

Offline Fozz Poloski

• FT's official Polomage
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 55
  • Icon Coloured By Mystic
    • Twitter - https://twitter.com/Fozzy_Guy_YT
    • In Development...
  • Fursona Species: Huskint-Mint Themed Husky | Polo Husky
Outdated forum?? [Suggestion]
« on: March 24, 2017, 08:33:26 pm »
Hi.
I'm back out our curiosity.
So I wanted to see how everything was getting on since I was last here
Not much has changed, still the WIP front page with the multiple year long overhaul, still the outdated forum style with terrible compatibility with mobile devices (this post was hard enough to make)
I'm not here to upset the flow, if you don't like my post, feel free to censor it. I couldn't really be bothered. I understand people don't like change and everyone has busy lives but as this forum is probably mainly used by mobile or tablet users, it would make sense if there was some optimisation or better support.
I couldn't find anywhere to post suggestions so I'm posting it here where it'll probably get trashed. But to be honest, better optimisation is something which will encourage users to stay. I gave up with the tiny buttons and tricky navigation on my phone and I know a few other people who did the same. One of the best ways to keep an audience or members, etc. Is by improving usability for ease of use. The ergonomics of a site are important, please do consider this.
Thanks  :fox-:):

Time for the small print for those who will try to criticise me for what I said.
Yes I have my own life and it's very busy. Yes I know how hard it is to run a community, I'm involved in multiple. Yes I know what goes into making a website, I have made a few myself and know my way around html (I study computer science which is coding stuffs) Yes mobile optimisation is not easy but there are way better forum platforms around than the simple machines forum used here. Yes I know about all this fancy stuff about consumers and marketing, all the subjects I study are based on design and digital media like online communities, design for Web and graphics and the whole video/film production. One other thing to add is the fact that I own and run a freelance ltd. company and I have all my GCSES exams coming up in just over a month so if you think your hands are tied, try my shoes on. Feel free to get triggered at my post as it is not me wasting energy in getting annoyed.
  • Flag - mincepie
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His/Polo/It/They/Them
***May the polos be ever in your flavour***
If u ever want to talk I'm nearly always on Skype --> fozz.the.husky :lol-fox:
When you're trying to count and this happens...

Gaming Channel , Vlogging Channel , Furry Channel , Twitch Channel

Online BerryCake550

• Stock Image Smuggler
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 123
  • "I am vengeance, I am the night, I am B A T M A N"
  • Fursona Species: Sergal and Vampire bat
Re: Outdated forum?? [Suggestion]
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 08:42:12 pm »
I believe this belongs in the Techie Talk or Review board if I'm not mistaken-The mods will probably move it nonetheless

But hey, I've never seen you before, pleasure-
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - androgynous
  • Pride Flag - genderqueer
"I never set out to be weird, it was always other people who called me weird" - Frank Zappa

Offline Chai

• Sparkle Kitty
  • Candies: 262
  • Happy Fall Y'all!
    • FurAffinity - SenseiMac
    • Twitter - redvelvetdrago
    • Personal Tumblr
  • Fursona Species: Panther
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 08:45:41 pm »
I believe this belongs in the Techie Talk or Review board if I'm not mistaken-The mods will probably move it nonetheless

*just moved it to Site-Specific* -w-"

no worries tho lol

Also, I haven't met you Fozz, but please keep in mind to be respectful in your critique. The site is open to suggestions, but it's in poor taste to throw around the word 'triggered' in your "disclaimer" message. No one is here to get mad at you!

Nonetheless, welcome back to the site! And thanks for your suggestions!
  • Flag - usa
  • Award - Holiday Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - demisexual
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Trello | Portfolio | FurAffinity | Buy Me a Coffee? | ToyHouse | Dragons | Keep | Flight Rising
Wanna tell me something?
- ♥ Hopelessly in love with Proto ♥ -
:aesthetic:
If you'd like to commission me, please click my Trello link!

Offline Amelia

• Candy Witch
  • Administrator
  • Candies: 813
  • Boo
    • FurAffinity - MysticSolstice
    • Twitter - MysticSolstice
  • Fursona Species: Kangaroo
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 08:50:23 pm »
While we understand that using the forum from a phone can be tricky and this suggestion has been brought up multiple times before there is a reason why we don't have a mobile app. The admins fund the site out of our own pockets, we don't have money to pay for an app to be developed nor do any of us have the skills to make it ourself.

Also for my personal opinion. I used this site exclusively from my iPod touch and phone for the first 8 months I was here and to date I still use it exclusively from phone and tablet and I hounestly don't find it hard
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Flag - canada
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
  • Award - Graphic Artist

| ToyHou.se | ThisCrush | Q&A |
Icon by Serena | Signature by SpazzCraft

Offline Noise

• Mummy Boi
  • Forum Elder
  • Candies: 732
  • Candy Corn = Life
  • Fursona Species: Wickerbeast
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 08:55:16 pm »
I've used this site with a shitty rcr tablet
A very outdated htc
And I've never had issues. What are you talking about? You're not being very specific about the issues
  • Site Donor
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt silver
  • Award - Halloween Hunt participant
  • Award - Holiday Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Offline Fozz Poloski

• FT's official Polomage
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 55
  • Icon Coloured By Mystic
    • Twitter - https://twitter.com/Fozzy_Guy_YT
    • In Development...
  • Fursona Species: Huskint-Mint Themed Husky | Polo Husky
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2017, 09:02:59 pm »
While we understand that using the forum from a phone can be tricky and this suggestion has been brought up multiple times before there is a reason why we don't have a mobile app. The admins fund the site out of our own pockets, we don't have money to pay for an app to be developed nor do any of us have the skills to make it ourself.

I do understand this and an app imo would be more difficult than site optimisation which would require a slight redesign of the site.
Personally I prefer the invision power services forum to the simple machines forum. If you have used a forum with invision, you may find it better It also has mobile optimisation making it an all round easier forum platform to use and run.
  • Flag - mincepie
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His/Polo/It/They/Them
***May the polos be ever in your flavour***
If u ever want to talk I'm nearly always on Skype --> fozz.the.husky :lol-fox:
When you're trying to count and this happens...

Gaming Channel , Vlogging Channel , Furry Channel , Twitch Channel