Author Topic: how would i go about feeling more confident in drawing?  (Read 179 times)

Offline Sophie

• Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 42
how would i go about feeling more confident in drawing?
« on: April 01, 2017, 04:09:17 pm »
ok ok so im not sure if this really belongs here but
lately i've been feeling really really bad about my art
i only ever have time to do it once a week
but like
i really want to be a good artist eventually and i want to make money off it like commissions and stuff
but every time i practice drawing i'm just filled with this sense of worthlessness and hopelessness like
i'm just never happy with anything i draw
and like
i just want to practice and improve at a decent, constant rate without feeling horrendous about my art
i mean i know i've basically only been drawing for about 5 or 6 months in total but like
it's just really been affecting me to the point where i can barely even finish a complete piece of art
and like
i know i can do music too but i really dont want that to be my main focus
i want art to be my main focus
i want to be a good artist
i just dont have the time, confidence, energy or skills to be good at it
and i just
i feel like crying
any suggestions on what to do?
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Pronouns: she/her/hers
icon by noise

Offline Atheltrane Brant

• Many people think my puns are...
  • Orange Level
  • Cookies: 11
  • "otter" garbage! XD
  • Fursona Species: Otter
Re: how would me go about feeling more confident in drawing?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 08:25:55 pm »
I went through this recently. I've not considered myself a real "artist" for long, but I have a few tips that have helped me (not in any specific order):
  • Draw anything, even if it's just something silly or that you've done already!
  • Find something you don't usually draw and draw it!
  • Revisit an old piece of your art that you like or are proud of and identify why you feel that way.
  • Find a photograph of something you like, then try to copy exactly in a drawing.
  • Identify one specific thing you would like to improve and work on that, without caring about anything else.
Hopefully there's something there that works for you.
And remember, it can take time to pull through this, but it is something that happens to every artist once in a while, so you are not alone.
Hope you start feeling better  :pawheart:
  • Flag - usa
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His
Brevity is the soul of wit (and signatures), and thus, I will be keeping this on the short side, except I guess it's kind of long now....

Offline The not scary Dave

• INFP Personality~
  • Blue Level
  • Cookies: 64
  • [icon by a friend named Shaidz on dA]
    • DeviantArt - Adadave
    • Twitter - @AdadaveE
  • Fursona Species: A Fox with a werid mind
Re: how would i go about feeling more confident in drawing?
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 02:00:56 am »
^^^
It's totally OK to reference and trace stuff. Heck you can even reference from the real world ;-)

I go through lots of times like this tbh... Like. I feel like I shouldn't even try because other people can do things I enjoy SOOO Much better than me...

Eventually I decided that rather than to think about impressing others, I only need to impress myself, at the bare minimum. That's why I rely so much on critique because now critique is the only way I improve XD It's not bad though.
Things take time tbh. We all hate time and wish it could go by faster. But if you make it so that that time is enjoyable, you'll want even more of it! :D
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pride Flag - homoflexible
  • Pronouns: He/His/Him They/them

Reality is the things that, no matter how hard you try, won't cease to exist.
Plz don't be werid XP -> http://www.thiscrush.com/~adadave

Offline Dolly

• Blue Level
  • Cookies: 79
  • King Thranduil is coolest
    • FurAffinity - zazanga
  • Fursona Species: Rabbit
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 12:44:29 pm »
Hey most of what I'd say was already stated by Adadave or Athelrtane, but yeah whenever I'm in a stump, I try using other artist's styles or referencing from real life to make silly doodles. Referencing other styles is actually very helpful for me because I might decide that while the way they do bodies isn't for me, the eyes on all their characters are cool, so I might try them out on one of my pieces sometime. Also trying to draw my dog in the crazy situations she ends up in is always fun.

In addition to referencing weird things, if I'm ever feeling stressed about art and how I don't want to finish a piece or need to do more, I just sketch. It's very freeing to practice your art skills casually, and simply sketch things that you don't have to finish. When I practice my lining or shading, I just use an old sketch (it does not have to be good) and only focus on that, not making the entire piece. Eventually, when you're feeling more confident or motivated, everything will come together pretty well, even if you practiced them separately. Doing full pieces all the time seems like way too much work and not enough fun tbh.
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
pet me please                                   ENFP

Offline Sophie

• Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 42
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2017, 04:36:41 pm »
thanks everyone, i'll be sure to keep all of this in mind <3
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Pronouns: she/her/hers
icon by noise