Author Topic: Xantera's Photography Thread  (Read 156 times)

Offline STERLING

• Durr Dammit
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 177
  • STERLING
Xantera's Photography Thread
« on: April 10, 2017, 07:15:57 pm »
Made a thread to display some of my photography work over the past few years. I shoot a variety of subjects, and I also run a business, however I will only post my personal images and not photoshoots from families, prom, weddings, etc.
These are just artistic ones I did for fun or for school projects

First batch I'll post will be these 3 "macro"-ish shots. I don't typically do nature photos but these were taken on the way to do another photoshoot. I actually like how these came out. These were taken with a standard 18-55mm lens.

Comments, questions, observations are welcomed and appreciated.

Offline Chai

• Sparkle Kitty
  • Board Moderator
  • Candies: 264
  • Happy Fall Y'all!
    • FurAffinity - SenseiMac
    • Twitter - redvelvetdrago
    • Personal Tumblr
  • Fursona Species: Panther
Re: Xantera's Photography Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 07:33:50 pm »
These are really nice!

I do have a question though-- I'm gonna be taking a photography class next semester for my major, but I was wondering about different lens attachments? Like, the one you mentioned, 18-55mm, seems like in a macro shot, the image quality is not as sharp. I assume it's just like the default attachment for a camera? (pardon me, I have no knowledge of photography omg, just what makes a good composition.) So would a longer lens (idk what the name for it would be,) basically sharpen up the image, or would it give it a different shape?

the main thing that comes to mind is this gif:

And like I'm just wondering how u do that omg.

Also, what kind of camera would you recommend? Dunno if I could get like a super high quality Nikon or Cannon, but, I could definitely get something decent for a good price. I should ask Mystic about this too omg

Anyway, keep up the good work!
  • Flag - usa
  • Award - Holiday Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - demisexual
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Trello | Portfolio | FurAffinity | Buy Me a Coffee? | ToyHouse | Dragons | Keep | Flight Rising
Wanna tell me something?
- ♥ Hopelessly in love with Proto ♥ -
:aesthetic:
If you'd like to commission me, please click my Trello link!

Offline STERLING

• Durr Dammit
  • Blue Level
  • STERLING
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 07:47:40 pm »
-SNIPPITY SNIP SNIP-
I do have a question though-- I'm gonna be taking a photography class next semester for my major, but I was wondering about different lens attachments? Like, the one you mentioned, 18-55mm, seems like in a macro shot, the image quality is not as sharp. I assume it's just like the default attachment for a camera? (pardon me, I have no knowledge of photography omg, just what makes a good composition.) So would a longer lens (idk what the name for it would be,) basically sharpen up the image, or would it give it a different shape?
-YAAAAS SNIPPING-
Also, what kind of camera would you recommend? Dunno if I could get like a super high quality Nikon or Cannon, but, I could definitely get something decent for a good price. I should ask Mystic about this too omg

Gonna try and answer the best I can lol! I hope I'm understanding your question correctly.
So I was just using a naked 18-55mm. No extra lens attachments or anything. And in honesty, I'm surprised I got that good of quality with just a naked portrait lens. If you know how to work with your lens and make adjustments, anything is possible.
It's kinda like with your cell phone camera, if you get too close to something it will blur out, but if you're just barely away from it, it'll focus great. It kinda works the same way, you can't be right on top of your subject, but if you scoot back a smidgen and let the lens zoom in for you, it'll come out great.

As for using a longer lens, I wouldn't recommend it. For example the smallest setting on my zoom lens is equal to the largest setting on my 18-55mm lens. I'd have to get farther away from the subject and such and it'd just be a real bother, whereas my 18-55 I can get close to the subject and adjust the lens, not myself so much. I hope that makes sense.

In essence, don't use a zoom lens for simple close up shots, only use it when you need it. You're going to risk a lot more shakes/stutter and quality issues with a zoom lens because of it's weight and...zoom.
Sure the edges on my flowers are a bit blurry by the main focuses are crisp and clean, and the blurred background is usually more desirable anyways.

As for cameras I highly recommend the Canon Rebel series. Many schools, hobby, and pro photographers stand by them. And they're very affordable. I use a Canon Rebel T3i, and I love it, but anything newer or older will deliver equal quality. The only main difference between the models is where the buttons are laid out at, how the actual LCD screen is, newer models have a touchscreen, etc.

Offline Chai

• Sparkle Kitty
  • Board Moderator
  • Happy Fall Y'all!
    • Personal Tumblr
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2017, 07:55:14 pm »
-SNIPPITY SNIP SNIP-
-YAAAAS SNIPPING-

Gonna try and answer the best I can lol! I hope I'm understanding your question correctly.
So I was just using a naked 18-55mm. No extra lens attachments or anything. And in honesty, I'm surprised I got that good of quality with just a naked portrait lens. If you know how to work with your lens and make adjustments, anything is possible.
It's kinda like with your cell phone camera, if you get too close to something it will blur out, but if you're just barely away from it, it'll focus great. It kinda works the same way, you can't be right on top of your subject, but if you scoot back a smidgen and let the lens zoom in for you, it'll come out great.

As for using a longer lens, I wouldn't recommend it. For example the smallest setting on my zoom lens is equal to the largest setting on my 18-55mm lens. I'd have to get farther away from the subject and such and it'd just be a real bother, whereas my 18-55 I can get close to the subject and adjust the lens, not myself so much. I hope that makes sense.

In essence, don't use a zoom lens for simple close up shots, only use it when you need it. You're going to risk a lot more shakes/stutter and quality issues with a zoom lens because of it's weight and...zoom.
Sure the edges on my flowers are a bit blurry by the main focuses are crisp and clean, and the blurred background is usually more desirable anyways.

As for cameras I highly recommend the Canon Rebel series. Many schools, hobby, and pro photographers stand by them. And they're very affordable. I use a Canon Rebel T3i, and I love it, but anything newer or older will deliver equal quality. The only main difference between the models is where the buttons are laid out at, how the actual LCD screen is, newer models have a touchscreen, etc.

Thank you, you answered my questions perfectly! That all makes a lot of sense ^^

Thanks for the advice!!
  • Flag - usa
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Trello | Portfolio | FurAffinity | Buy Me a Coffee? | ToyHouse | Dragons | Keep | Flight Rising
Wanna tell me something?

Offline STERLING

• Durr Dammit
  • Blue Level
  • STERLING
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2017, 07:58:42 pm »
Glad I could help~

Promo pic for my business. GET SHOT.
pew pew

Offline STERLING

• Durr Dammit
  • Blue Level
  • STERLING
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2017, 02:36:55 pm »
One of my all time favorite photos I've taken.

$30 Chickens are Best Chickens

Offline Chai

• Sparkle Kitty
  • Board Moderator
  • Happy Fall Y'all!
    • Personal Tumblr
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2017, 02:37:17 pm »
Beautiful!!!
  • Flag - usa
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Wanna tell me something?

Offline STERLING

• Durr Dammit
  • Blue Level
  • STERLING
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2017, 02:46:44 pm »
Beautiful!!!

Thanks a bunch! ;3;
Glad I at least have 1 person who cares lmfao

Offline Emrys

• Green Level
  • Candies: 55
    • DeviantArt - PrinceDeathDefying
    • FurAffinity - PrinceDeathDefying
    • Twitter - GothSauce
  • Fursona Species: Gryphon
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2017, 03:40:24 pm »
Your photography looks great!
I really like the perspective on that fourth one.

I've been looking into trying it myself but I don't really have the proper equipment, ha
  • Flag - usa
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - pansexual
  • Pronouns: he/him/his - they/them/their
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255
{ Toyhouse | Thiscrush | Pet Me }