Author Topic: I need a honest critique  (Read 215 times)

Offline Tabbystar

• Meow Wow!
  • Blue Level
  • Cookies: 70
  • Kitty!
    • DeviantArt - KipekeeReddington
    • FurAffinity - AllAmericanFlyingFoxdog
  • Fursona Species: Classic Tabby Cat
I need a honest critique
« on: April 11, 2017, 12:33:23 pm »
I asked for advice in the advice thread and no one replied, so

I want serious feedback on my art. Something feels off about all of it, and I want to know how I'm doing in anatomy, backgrounds, lineart, and shading, and what I can do to improve. Please
help, thanks.

http://www.furaffinity.net/user/allamericanflyingfoxdog/
  • Flag - usa
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: She/her
Fursonas: Kipekee Reddington, Tabbystar, & Dani Tracy

Art Dump |Toyhouse (WIP) |ThisCrush |
Sarahah |
Tumblr

Offline STERLING

• Durr Dammit
  • Blue Level
  • Cookies: 177
  • STERLING
Re: I need a honest critique
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 09:22:26 pm »
Honest Critique

First,
I think the reason why you haven't gotten a critique is because well...
YOUR ART IS GREAT!
You have a very clean style, anatomy works well with the style, character design is well, the actual drawings and such are SUPERB.

The only real concern I'd like to bring up is the colors and background. It's the only thing that throws it off. I think maybe your palettes are too saturated? and it kinda throws the piece off. The color choice is good, it's just the level of them can be straining and throw off the piece.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hK33BsDu4Po&t=513s
This video kinda explains more what I'm talking about in a way.

Also, the backgrounds could just be improved. The character detail looks great but the background can sometimes look not as finished as your subjects. This could just be a matter of getting comfortable or practicing backgrounds :)

What I would like to see is some cool lighting techniques, I think it could amp up your art to the next level. I like when artists for example, have "pink" lighting and add pink highlights to their subjects to reflect that, but of course it can be any color you choose! I think you could do awesome pieces with those techniques.

But overall, you have amazing drawing skills, I'd just focus on the actual coloring/colors and backgrounds! It'll really make your pieces feel more complete!

I hope this helps! Can't wait to see what you draw next!

Offline Tabbystar

• Meow Wow!
  • Blue Level
  • Kitty!
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 09:29:07 pm »
Honest Critique

First,
YOUR ART IS GREAT!
You have a very clean style, anatomy works well with the style, character design is well, the actual drawings and such are SUPERB.

The only real concern I'd like to bring up is the colors and background. It's the only thing that throws it off. I think maybe your palettes are too saturated? and it kinda throws the piece off. The color choice is good, it's just the level of them can be straining and throw off the piece.

Also, the backgrounds could just be improved. The character detail looks great but the background can sometimes look not as finished as your subjects. This could just be a matter of getting comfortable or practicing backgrounds :)

What I would like to see is some cool lighting techniques, I think it could amp up your art to the next level. I like when artists for example, have "pink" lighting and add pink highlights to their subjects to reflect that, but of course it can be any color you choose! I think you could do awesome pieces with those techniques.

But overall, you have amazing drawing skills, I'd just focus on the actual coloring/colors and backgrounds! It'll really make your pieces feel more complete!

Yeah, that's what I thought was wrong with my drawings. Thanks for the advice and video, I'll def practice :3
  • Flag - usa
  • Pride Flag - gay

Sarahah |
Tumblr

Offline Kolju

• Green Level
  • Cookies: 55
    • DeviantArt - PrinceDeathDefying
    • FurAffinity - gotebloke
    • Twitter - gotebloke
  • Fursona Species: Ashfurn
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 09:32:26 pm »
I'll be sure to take a look at it when I get away from the wifi at my house, as FA is blocked here. I'll tell you what I think then.  :fox-:):
  • Flag - usa
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - pansexual
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255
{ Toyhouse | Thiscrush | Pet Me | Avatar Credit }

Offline Rainclaw

• DaB
  • Orange Level
  • Cookies: 22
  • I AM VEGAN
    • DeviantArt - Rain-Claw
    • FurAffinity - Rainclaw
    • Twitter - Rain__Claw
    • Weasyl - Rainclaw
  • Fursona Species: fox dragon
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 03:33:02 pm »
honestly for your age your art is actually really good my art sucked when i was your age
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His

| Bisexual l agnostic l FtM l Pisces l Taken l

Offline Tabbystar

• Meow Wow!
  • Blue Level
  • Kitty!
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 04:41:58 pm »
honestly for your age your art is actually really good my art sucked when i was your age
Pfft, thanks XD
  • Flag - usa
  • Pride Flag - gay

Sarahah |
Tumblr

Offline Tabbystar

• Meow Wow!
  • Blue Level
  • Kitty!
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2017, 05:27:41 pm »
Honest Critique

First,
YOUR ART IS GREAT!

Also, do you mind if I ask which specific drawings had the most saturated colors? Asking so I can know better about what you mean.
  • Flag - usa
  • Pride Flag - gay

Sarahah |
Tumblr