Author Topic: How to design a fursona?  (Read 166 times)

Offline Noise

• Mummy Boi
  • Forum Elder
  • Candies: 738
  • Candy Corn = Life
    • FurAffinity - cactle
  • Fursona Species: Wickerbeast
How to design a fursona?
« on: April 15, 2017, 02:18:59 pm »
If this is in the wrong spot feel free to move it
I can never stick with a fursona design
I really don't know how to make a design I'll like
I love almost all animals
I like a lot of colors
Can I have some advice?
How did you do the process of making one?
  • Site Donor
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt silver
  • Award - Halloween Hunt participant
  • Award - Holiday Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Offline Serana

• In the moon I see everything!
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 241
  • And I see you giving me candy!
    • DeviantArt - WolfGodess12
    • FurAffinity - SnowFeline
    • Twitter - SnowFelineArts
    • Weasyl - SnowFeline
  • Fursona Species: Vampiric Moth
Re: How to design a fursona?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 02:41:34 pm »
I understand how you feel, I could never decide on a sona for the longest time and having alts never satisfied me. So many cool species and colors to choose from.
I started experimenting with a shapeshifting sona(having more than one form but still limited) I kept wanting to make more forms which I did but called them AU forms, in the end I went polymorphic(infinite forms) and gave myself a limit on colors and the inability to become feral among other minor things to make it feel like the same character as well as giving all forms a similar trait that I like, like red eyes with slit pupils and monster teeth(or simplified to simply vampire fangs).
I basically mashed a bunch of traits I like(and feel) into her main form to make something I like and will use. Her other forms are just for fun.
Its the most me sona I've made so far and I don't plan on changing her species anytime soon.

I know you talked about going shapeshifter before, maybe try that for a little bit and see how it feels. you can make it seem less OP by limiting them on colors or certain forms(like can't become human or something) but its totally up to you ^^
  • Flag - usa
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - demisexual
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

AKA Nagi, feel free to call me whatever.
Proud Otherkin and slightly ashamed Fictionkin
Don't take things I say very seriously, I tend to joke around.

|FurAffinity / ToyHou.se / Tumblr / ThisCrush|

Offline Spoopy ★ Panda

• Not a duck!
  • Administrator
  • Candies: 586
  • :*・°☆.。.:*・°☆.。
    • DeviantArt - cocoapanda
    • FurAffinity - cocoapanda
  • Fursona Species: Platypus
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 02:55:22 pm »
Yeah I was gonna suggest what Nagi said, maybe just pick a color scheme you really like and then you can shapeshift but still be "one" fursona. Honestly wanting to change fursonas is only natural I think, I mean everyone's constantly growing, ESPECIALLY when you're a teen. Panda was color vomit when I was your age and Icee wasn't even a fursona. The changes just kinda happened. Even now, I really want to change some things about Panda (except I'm techincally stuck since i have a suit hah) so just know you're not alone ^^;
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pronouns: They/them
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Offline Dolly

• Blue Level
  • Candies: 73
  • King Thranduil is coolest
    • FurAffinity - zazanga
  • Fursona Species: Great Dane
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2017, 11:35:46 am »
I think if I had made Dolly different colors, her design would probably change a lot too. For me, using natural(ish) markings has helped because it's kind of general. She could be a bubbly happy character, or a total grouch and the design still fits. Maybe using a mostly natural palette, but with bright clothes and outfits would help? Though, he has a pretty much natural color scheme now, and it wouldn't help with liking different animals. 

The shapeshifting idea is also really cool, trying that out for a while might work too! Limits would definitely be good to make it less overpowered, and therefore more relatable. I've noticed you have several sonas and species as well, maybe just switching between all of them a mostly-equal amount could work? Whatever happens, this has just been my 2 cents, and I hope you're able to find a design you can connect with!
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
pet me please                                   ENFP
Weasyl account

Offline Eden

• Just a sad little foxo!
  • Yellow Level
  • Candies: 34
  • Stay Alive |-/
    • FurAffinity - ~eden
  • Fursona Species: Gray Fox (The "r" is optional ;3)
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2017, 03:07:39 pm »
Yeah, I'm the same as Dolly, natural colors help me start my designs a ton (even though Eden isn't really natural colors haha).  Though the current Zagan design is pretty realistic.  I would say if you feel like you want to redesign Zagan just do it, keep changing until you find a design you click with ^^ I just drew what felt right and soon Eden changed without me really paying attention to it and I didn't want to change it after that.  If you keep wanting to change species maybe explore the shapeshifter if you're like me and don't like a lot of alts.  My process involves trying really hard to find a species and putting way too much time into it, then finding a design I like, then probably not using the character because I can't think of a name/personality Dx
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His

PM me or check out my FA if you want to do a trade or commission me! Thanks!! <3

Online shutupavery

• "FT's local goth sloth" - Foxi 2K17
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 64
  • gimme all yo candy
    • DeviantArt - inkedspace
    • FurAffinity - inkedspace
    • Twitter - ghostlyavery
  • Fursona Species: three-toed sloth
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2017, 05:23:49 pm »
it took me AGES for me to decide on a fursona (ive had a bunch in the past). like most here said; play around with the species and colors a bit until you find something you like. it took me years to finally decide on a sloth, and ive had many species before it. and maybe try the shapeshifting idea for a while. ^^
  • Flag - usa
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt silver
  • Award - Halloween Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Pride Flag - genderfluid
  • Pronouns: they/them/their or he/him/his
:pumpkin: ♡ thiscrush ♡ // ♡ toyhou.se ♡ // ♡ art thread ♡ // ♡ commissions ♡ // ♡ ask me stuffs ♡ :pumpkin:

pixels(c); cutgut on dA, colored by Graham. big pixel is by Chai on FT
icon(c); frostsilence on dA