Author Topic: Coping with the Death of a Pet  (Read 970 times)

Offline Red Velvet

• Cake Dragon
  • Sitewide Moderator
  • Cookies: 343
  • Aggredvelvet
    • FurAffinity - SenseiMac
    • Twitter - redvelvetdrago
    • Personal Tumblr
  • Fursona Species: Angel Dragon
Coping with the Death of a Pet
« on: May 09, 2017, 06:05:29 pm »
Coping with Pet Death

If you're hurting from the loss of your animal, or simply would like to reminisce about your old friend, feel free to post below some of your memories or feelings. Your pet is in a better place now, and dearly misses you! But, they would want you to keep your head high and keep being the great human that they knew you as!

We're all here to help and empathize with you. ♥

[post is to remain unlocked, but please keep in mind that the forum rules still apply here; avoid posting ideologically sensitive material]
  • Flag - usa
  • Pride Flag - demisexual
  • Pride Flag - heteroflexible
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Trello | Portfolio | FurAffinity | Buy Me a Coffee? | ToyHouse | Dragons | Flight Rising
♥ Hopelessly in love with Proto
:aesthetic:

Offline NutellaFox

• INFP Personality~
  • Blue Level
  • Cookies: 69
  • [icon by a friend named TheWildHyper on dA]
    • DeviantArt - Adadave
    • Twitter - @AdadaveE
  • Fursona Species: A Fox with a werid mind
Re: Coping with the Death of a Pet
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 06:00:59 pm »
When I was about 8 years old I had this White and Black mouse. I think I nammed her Rita (because 'Flushed Away' XD)

Anyways. She really only ever trusted me and even then was very hesitant to let me hold her and such. Anyone else would get nipped or bitten if they tried touching her and I wasn't there.

I had her all of 2nd grade pretty much. It was a lot of fun and I took good care of her I believe. Then one day she started slowing down...

I'd had a pet hamster before... but that death was easier on me because one day she was running around and I remember going to sleep listening to her running on the hamster wheel. I woke up the next morning and she was dead. No suffering... just dead.

This one was harder on me. She was slowing down, starting to get sick and everything. It was horrible to me. One day my mom said she'd take her to the vet and such. They didn't have anything. So I said goodbye, and my mom ended up taking her to a river area nearby where we lived and let her go ;_; I think my mom did that because I was having a hard time as a little 8 year old kid watching her still alive but barely moving...
  • Flag - usa
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pride Flag - homoflexible
  • Pronouns: He/His/Him They/them

Reality is the things that, no matter how hard you try, won't cease to exist.
Plz don't be werid XP -> http://www.thiscrush.com/~nutellafox
If you want to message me on Discord send me a message/PM! Telegram and Twitter should be in my info on my page.

Offline ....

• also known as jasper
  • Forum Elder
  • Cookies: 781
  • Fursona Species: border collie
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 02:53:27 pm »
My dog passed yesterday
He got really bad and we ran him to the vet
They said nothing could be done so he was put down..
I kept his collar but I haven't been coping well at all
But I'll give that link a read
  • Site Donor
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt silver
  • Award - Halloween Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Offline NutellaFox

• INFP Personality~
  • Blue Level
  • Cookies: 69
  • [icon by a friend named TheWildHyper on dA]
    • DeviantArt - Adadave
    • Twitter - @AdadaveE
  • Fursona Species: A Fox with a werid mind
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 06:02:19 pm »
My dog passed yesterday
He got really bad and we ran him to the vet
They said nothing could be done so he was put down..
I kept his collar but I haven't been coping well at all
But I'll give that link a read

so sorry... Hope you're OK. It'll take a while and I know that it probably feels like a huge gap now that they're gone. It's always OK to cry and feel sad. Don't feel like you need to hide it. People should understand (otherwise they're just jerks)
  • Flag - usa
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pride Flag - homoflexible
  • Pronouns: He/His/Him They/them

Reality is the things that, no matter how hard you try, won't cease to exist.
Plz don't be werid XP -> http://www.thiscrush.com/~nutellafox
If you want to message me on Discord send me a message/PM! Telegram and Twitter should be in my info on my page.

Offline Eliaham

• BOOFBOOFBOOFBOOFBOOF
  • Cookies: 115
    • Twitter - ferinebreed
  • Fursona Species: Newfoundland
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 03:02:32 pm »
My cat passed away, this morning. I'm heartbroken because he really meant the world to me. I handpicked him from a big litter of kittens when he was just a baby, and I was about seven or eight years old. I have so many memories of him, so the fact that he's just... not here ...feels wrong.
He had some serious kidney problems. My family spent so much time and money trying to help him over the past couple months, and yet he just completely deteriorated over the past two or three days. I could tell the poor little guy was suffering, so I'm kind of glad he's not in pain. I'm just upset that this is what it took. It isn't the first time I've lost a pet, so I know the pain eases, but for right now I just need a hug.
I have three other cats, but none of them have the same memories attached. I've had several dreams over the past week where he passed away, and all left me shaken up, but now that it's reality, it hurts several times as much.
I'm sure I'll meet him again in another life, but for now I just need some time. 
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His
  • Award - Graphic Artist
tumblr   ❤   instagraham    :graham: toyhou.se    ❤   youtube
avatar by Edwin Landseer bc im back on my fine art nonsense

Offline Red Velvet

• Cake Dragon
  • Sitewide Moderator
  • Cookies: 343
  • Aggredvelvet
    • FurAffinity - SenseiMac
    • Twitter - redvelvetdrago
    • Personal Tumblr
  • Fursona Species: Angel Dragon
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 03:14:11 pm »
One of my German shepherds, Biscuit, passed away today. This is the second time in a year that I haven't been home to say goodbye to my dog. She was older, and she was a rescue, so we gave her a good home afterwards. I'm just. So torn up. I haven't stopped crying all day, and I'm not even in the country to be with her.

I know she's happier and out of pain (she had some malignant tumors) but I just wish I could have said goodbye.

Her sister Bubbles is still around, but I also worry how she's gonna handle it.
  • Flag - usa
  • Pride Flag - demisexual
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Trello | Portfolio | FurAffinity | Buy Me a Coffee? | ToyHouse | Dragons | Flight Rising
♥ Hopelessly in love with Proto
:aesthetic:

Offline ★ Panda ★

• ✧・゚: *✧・゚:*
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 640
  • ✧・゚: *✧・゚:*
    • DeviantArt - cocoapanda
    • FurAffinity - cocoapanda
  • Fursona Species: Platypus
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2017, 01:54:06 pm »
I feel so so awful that my cat died the way she did. I'm assuming it was peaceful because the last time I saw her, she wasn't doing much except sleeping, but the circumstances around it were less than ideal. My mom's new place doesn't allow pets so she couldn't take her when we all moved, and I couldn't take her because she's really anxious about my bf. So she was left with my brother and dad; my brother loves her but my dad hates her. He would always bitch about having to clean the litter box and how expensive vet bills were and "I never signed up for this" and everything else. He was finally nice to her when we found out she had cancer but still, I feel horribly guilty that she had a less-than-ideal life. Especially because there wasn't much we could have done to change it :/ When I saw her for the last time the other night, she perked up and meowed even though she could barely move, so that's something I guess. I just really hope she understands we did the best we could.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pride Flag - genderfluid
  • Pronouns: They/them
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Offline Dot ❀

• Icon by Serana!
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 127
    • Personal Tumblr
  • Fursona Species: Ladybug
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 10:52:12 pm »
Hi, I'm just going through some of the threads, don't mind me.

I miss Biscuit a lot sometimes. ^^ She was such a fun energy in our house and she really helped me through some rough times. Sometimes just thinking about her makes me cry. Ahh don't cry Pecan, don't cry!

Bubbles, her sister, and my dog, seemed really sad at first, they were lifelong friends, but she's doing better now! She knows Biscy is happy, I can tell.

Our new dog, Lake, is strikingly similar to Biscuit personality wise. They're both puppies at heart.

I honestly can't wait to go to heaven, I just want to pet our lost dogs again.

oops, I'm crying.
  • Flag - usa

Offline Blueberry Meows

• Cookies: 3
  • *looks at you very judgingly* Hmmmmm
    • Twitter - Blueberry Meows
  • Fursona Species: Cat/Wolf/Pokemon
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 05:12:49 pm »
I used to have a couple of rats. One name Spike (he died out of the blue. it devastated me, but he did not have to suffer.) and one named Darkness.
after Spike died, me and Darkness started warming up to me. One day, i noticed that his eye was really watery. My mom waved it off. a few weeks later, his eye started to buldge a little bit,  we thought it was a eye infection, we took him to the vet...
It turned out that he had a tumor that was growing. it was heartbreaking to know how much he was suffering, but we did not put him down. It would make his last moments pure suffering. We waited. Gave him meds to put on his eye. He live for about 3-5 months because of the meds.
One day my mom did her daily check, while i was on my way to school, she found him spasming, and sent my little brother to get me. I got home, and cuddled with him during his final moments. Its been a couple of years. I have a two year old cat named Angel, that i got for my birthday. I still miss my rats more than anything though.
 :pawheart:
  • Flag - usa

Offline Kyrr

• Red Level
  • Cookies: 8
  • Fursona Species: Dutch Angel Dragon
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2018, 12:32:44 am »
I had rats as well.  One was named Smoke, and the other's name was Ember.  Me and Ember had a connection like people have with their best friends.  It hit me really hard when she died.  I miss her a LOT.  I have two cats now, and they're not like stereotypical cats.  One of them is actually, but the other one is literally a human.  Kinda like Ember and I, me and this cat (his name is Hercules) have a connection like best friends.  I don't know what I'm gonna do when he dies. :sad-fox:
  • Flag - usa
  • Pride Flag - bisexual

Offline Blueberry Meows

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2018, 06:48:31 pm »
I also have cats like that  except neither of them are normal
Angel is the one who is like my best friend, and jasmine is sweet but vengeful
Angel is also a total nutcase
  • Flag - usa

Offline Cyril-the-Raptor

• Red Level
  • Cookies: 2
    • DeviantArt - cyril-the-raptor
  • Fursona Species: Velociraptor
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2018, 09:24:35 am »
I had this big, ginger and white tabby cat who I named Ozzy. He was adopted from my aunt; she would often feed feral cats, and she almost always had litters upon litters of semi-feral kittens to give away.
He was a shy kitty; he didn't much like affection from anyone except me. I'd known him since he was only a few weeks old. He loved to sleep, and ate just about anything he could find. Whenever I would be eating something, be it spaghetti, pizza, or just a sandwich, Ozzy would be there, making his sad little meows and trying to steal my food. He knew I would cave in to him and give him some food. My mum hated it; she'd always kick him out the house while we had dinner, just because he begged like a dog.

He also loved to sleep in this box we set up for him, with old blankets inside. Originally it was set up so our other cat could give birth comfortably, but eventually it became his bed. If you ever needed a cute cat to cheer you up, me and my sister never looked up cute cat pictures on the internet - we would just look inside the box, at the snoozing kitty.

He was also very playful towards me. I would often stick my hand in the box, and he'd grab my hand rather painfully and impale my skin with his claws - but he would lick my hand at the same time to show me he didn't really mean it. He was a sweet boy. I still have the scars from it :')

When Ozzy was around one and a half years old, he disappeared. For the next few days, we didn't think anything of it - it wasn't unusual for him to stay away for days at a time. He was an outside cat after all.

But months passed, and there was no sign of him. The last memory I have of him is him sleeping peacefully on a pillow in the kitchen. To this day we still don't know what happened to him; he would never run away. He was a lazy cat, and always came back to us when he got hungry, or wanted a warm place to sleep. My theory is that a fox killed him; I live in the middle of the country, and it isn't an ideal place for cats. My neighbor's cat and dog both died fairly recently. In fact, I've even seen a fox myself on the roads close to my house. It saddens me, because he wasn't just my pet, he was also my best friend. I wasn't able to get into school for well over a year when I first moved, just because I lived well over forty minutes away from school, my mum couldn't drive me, and my school had to organize the bus to drive specifically to my house because it's in the middle of nowhere.

Ozzy was my best friend; he kept me company. I had no friends because I'd just moved country. He had the loudest purr of any cat I'd ever heard. I'm honestly crying while writing this; he died so young, and he didn't deserve it. He was so sweet.

I'm sorry for the massive rant/wall of text. It's my first ever time talking about this, to anyone. I don't think anyone really knew how close I actually was to him.
  • Pronouns: She/her

Offline Blueberry Meows

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2018, 10:56:42 pm »
Im really sorry for your loss, losing a pet, especially one that your so close with is really hard.   :chococat:
  • Flag - usa