Author Topic: They Call Me... The Transformator!  (Read 2577 times)

Offline FireHazard

• Red Level
  • Candies: 2
  • The tiger with the flaming tail!
    • Podunk U
They Call Me... The Transformator!
« on: March 28, 2005, 02:10:34 pm »
I figured I'd link to this, several Furry sites have already:

http://home.telepath.com/~wanderer/imagine_furnetics/services.html

And no, it's not real.  But I think it gives a good idea of exactly what one would have to go through once the technology does become available.  Plus, major points to whoever made this for being thorough!

Offline Polaris

• Yellow Level
  • Candies: 11
  • Causing cavities with every giggle.
    • Deviantart
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2005, 03:16:21 pm »
:|
I was hopeing that there would be pictures.
:staffedit-sig:

Offline Taris Quickpaw

• Second Life Addict
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 5
  • Think before you speak!
    • Taris' Den
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2005, 04:18:31 pm »
*sigh*  Please please PLEASE in my life time....
join us on IRC using mIRC or XChat at irc.furnet.org  #furryteens

We are looking for new Half-Ops and Ops to moderate the IRC channel!  Please send applications to me in a PM!

Offline Polaris

• Yellow Level
  • Causing cavities with every giggle.
    • Deviantart
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2005, 04:23:31 pm »
For me the closest thing would be realy exspencive furrsuits and a large imagination.
I just need the money, I have the imagination thing covered.
:staffedit-sig:

Offline Ben Lagg

• Orange Level
  • Candies: 0
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2005, 04:26:42 pm »
I don't want my body modded, I want a whole new body. Not that this one'd be TOO bad, but my face is damn awful, and if I'm gonna get that furry in RL, I want a whole new body.
"Take life seriously, if taking life is your profession"
                - Shannat Pansamsi, assassin monk

Offline FoxChild

• Red Level
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2005, 02:13:12 am »
Quote from: Ben Lagg
I don't want my body modded, I want a whole new body. Not that this one'd be TOO bad, but my face is damn awful, and if I'm gonna get that furry in RL, I want a whole new body.

well, either you hunt down a handsom or beautiful hobo, OR buy  a body on ebay!
Life is like a box of chocolates: If you eat too much too quickly, you'll get a stomache ache!

Comics: Ozy and Millie, Faux Pas, & One Hour Photo (soon to come!)

Offline Simba Wula

• Blue Level
  • Candies: -65493
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2005, 07:34:11 pm »
That would be so cool if it was real >.< but it was intresting how much detail they threw in for fun XP Though I just wish the technolgy was avaibale for us to do it and at a reasonable price too @.@

Offline Fenix

• Yellow Level
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2005, 06:37:35 pm »
Wait...

This isn't real?  :shock:

I'm actually a little bit scared and probably excited but this is not real?

huh, i must be stupider than i thought.  :(

If anyone would like to bash me for my dumbness, please do so.  8)

Offline Taris Quickpaw

• Second Life Addict
  • Green Level
    • Taris' Den
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2005, 06:44:03 pm »
well they did a raelly good job with the presentation, making it compleatly beleivable.  The only thing that gave it away was with this...
Are you for real?
Furnetics is an established genetic research division of Sean McElroy Unlimited and has authored research to and developed methods to improve the quality of life through careful biochemical engineering. Prior to 1996 Furnetics was known as Midwest Genetic Solutions. For over 23 years we have improved the quality of life of thousands through our advances in drug research, gene therapy, and our newer services such as Phenotype Renovations

We are looking for new Half-Ops and Ops to moderate the IRC channel!  Please send applications to me in a PM!

Offline Simba Wula

• Blue Level
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2005, 07:44:37 pm »
Ya Jake with sites like these they try to trick the general public into reading them and making it seem real. And if the person knows its a fake they enjoy reading it and seeing how much work went into it XP I know I got a good few laughs from it XD

Offline FireHazard

• Red Level
    • Podunk U
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2005, 10:05:16 pm »
My favorite part:
Add up to eight additional fully-functional, lactating mammary glands with this option for increased morphic realism. Not recommended for male customers.
:lol:

Offline Taris Quickpaw

• Second Life Addict
  • Green Level
    • Taris' Den
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2005, 10:06:45 pm »
Quote from: OctanBearcat
My favorite part:
Add up to eight additional fully-functional, lactating mammary glands with this option for increased morphic realism. Not recommended for male customers.

Agreed, unless... well, i wont get into that here...   :lol:

Offline FireHazard

• Red Level
    • Podunk U
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2005, 06:19:00 pm »
You know, now that I think of it I probably should have waited till yesterday to post it, and then not let on that it was fake.

Oh well.

And I'm kinda embarrassed to ask this, besides which it might not be approprate for the non-Adult section, but what did they mean when they talked about "sheaths and knots"?  I'm not at all familiar with the more, ahem, sensitive aspects of furry anatomy. :oops:

Offline Meadow Whisper (Natasha)

• ᎣᏏᏲ! I'm a horse now! ^.^
  • FT Founder
  • Candies: 397
    • DeviantArt - lupiniastudios
    • FurAffinity - softpaw
    • Twitter - lupinia
    • Weasyl - softpaw
    • Lupinia Studios
  • Fursona Species: Chincoteague Pony
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2005, 08:13:47 pm »
1.  Every fur has seen that at least once, so it wouldn't really make for a good April Fools joke.

2.  Sheaths and knots refer to parts of canine male genitalia ;-)
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Here is a horse I have made for you:
        |,\_/,\_
 ,-__/,   ,       )kk
.                     \,kkk
 \    ,___....--     \kkkk
           \               \kkkkk
             \               \kkkkk

Note:  I'm no longer actively involved in running this site, so while I welcome any personal messages, please do not contact me about account issues.  Please direct all such inquiries to Panda.  Thanks for all the years of awesome memories and friendship!  <3

Offline Simba Wula

• Blue Level
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2005, 09:21:17 pm »
Quote from: Jake
Quote from: OctanBearcat
My favorite part:

Agreed, unless... well, i wont get into that here...   :lol:

Wow the possiablitys with that site if it were true XD and with the men thing I won;t even go there @.@ except it reminds me of this comic http://vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=134 XD

Offline Chip Redtail

• Green Level
  • Puppies are food! :P
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2005, 09:21:37 pm »
furnetics... too bad it's not here yet, but it's just a matter of time

and then, things'll get pretty interesting :P

i might even be tempted to have some modifications :D

Offline vernelka

• Red Level
  • Candies: 0
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2005, 05:50:34 am »
Perhaps this isn't as far-off as it seems.  (Source)
    'Editing' technique can rewrite genes

Hope of cure offered to many with inherited diseases

David Adam, science correspondent
Monday April 4, 2005
The Guardian

Scientists at a company in California have developed a potentially revolutionary technique to permanently rewrite any gene in the human body.

The breakthrough brings hope to millions of people with genetic diseases such as sickle-cell anaemia - but campaigners have warned that the technology, called gene editing, could be abused by parents who want to alter the physical characteristics of their children after they are born.

The scientists, at Sangamo Biosciences, have used the technique to correct mistakes in a gene that causes a rare genetic disease called X-linked severe combined immune deficiency (SCID) - so-called bubble boy disease. Sufferers never develop a fully working immune system and usually die within 18 months of birth.

Edward Lanphier, the president of Sangamo, said: "We can target any gene we want, go into human cells and correct mistakes. These results highlight the potential for gene correction therapy for human monogenic disorders, those diseases caused by mutation of a single gene."

The first applications were likely to be for blood diseases, Dr Lanphier said.

The technique can also target and destroy genes. Clinical trials of its ability to stop the HIV virus infecting immune system cells will start in humans next year.

Gene editing exploits the body's natural ability to repair broken strands of DNA, the blueprint cells use to churn out thousands of proteins.

The scientists combined a molecule called a zinc finger protein, which can identify and bind to a specified gene, with an enzyme that can cut DNA. The protein effectively delivers the enzyme to its target, just in front of the gene the scientists want to cut out.

The scientists fool the cell into using their chosen gene in repairing the cut DNA strands, rather than a new version of the faulty one, by supplying a DNA template for it to copy. Sir Aaron Klug, the Nobel prize-winning scientist who discovered zinc finger proteins, said: "For years scienists have been searching for a way to modify, or edit, the genome of plants and animals in a precise and predictable fashion.

"This work is therefore truly a landmark study that provides the foundation for gene modification without the safety issues that have plagued many traditional gene therapy applications."

Conventional gene therapy inserts a correct version of a faulty gene into a patient's DNA. It is difficult to control and has resulted in several high-profile deaths.

In laboratory tests, the gene editing technique successfully replaced the faulty X-linked SCID gene with a working version in 18% of human cells.

According to Sangamo, this could be enough to cure some SCID patients.

The results appear today in the online version of the journal Nature.

Dr Lanphier admitted the technique could target and change genes not involved in disease, such as those that control eye and hair colour.

"The technology is very flexible and does lend itself to those sorts of questions," he said. "But I think the reality is that ... the people who apply it will do so for medical reasons."

Sue Mayer, of the group Genewatch UK, called for regulation to stop gene editing being used for "trivial" changes. "We sometimes overstate how many people would want to use it for that, but unless there are safeguards in place the temptation will always be there," she said.

This is looking like it could very well be possible to be used for completely changing a person's appearance, such as turning them into a furry.  My guess is that it will take a few decades before it reaches a point where such changes are safe and predictable, though.  Of course, it will have to go through a heck of a lot of red tape to reach that state.

Offline FireHazard

• Red Level
    • Podunk U
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2005, 07:21:41 pm »
As excited as I am about this discovery (hopefully it will save many lives), I doubt it could be used to make major cosmetic enhancements.  You could use it to change hair color since the old hair would grow out and be cut off, but you couldn't use it to, say, grow a tail because stuff like that is programmed to happen during pre-natal development (i.e., in the womb).

There are other possibilities though; I thought of this last night.  You could, given the right conditions and the right equipment, grow a tail ("grow" in the sense that you "grow" a plant) in a laboratory from an animal's stem cells, and then "transplant" it onto someone's rear.  According to Etheros Silvermist in http://lupinia.us/furryteens/forum/viewtopic.php?t=158">this thread, their brain would adapt to its being there and "learn" to control it and pick up its nerve messages etc.

Eh, it's a thought anyway.  However we end up doing it, I personally believe the technology isn't as far away as a lot of us think. :D

Offline Chip Redtail

• Green Level
  • Puppies are food! :P
over-technical me
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2005, 07:26:50 pm »
well, the best way to make a furry would be surgical (grafted limbs, sculpting, stuff like that), then alter other things like hormones and genetics to get fur and other thigns working, and then change the "vital parts" so the next generation breeds true

i know, over-technical, but i like sounding smart :P

i used be a genetics nut

Offline Taris Quickpaw

• Second Life Addict
  • Green Level
    • Taris' Den
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2005, 11:07:30 pm »
well, they are already grwing ears and stuff on the backs of naked mice, then cutting them off and transplanting them onto people.  but i dont want to take a tail someone else is still useing...