Author Topic: What is so taboo about being a furry?  (Read 349 times)

Offline Undertaker

• "Do you want to see how it feels to sleep in my custom-made coffins?"
  • Purple Level
  • Mince Pies: 91
  • "How sad it would be, should laughter disappear."
    • DeviantArt - BluefoxLongtail
    • FurAffinity - sprite-limehead
  • Fursona Species: Retired Shinigami
What is so taboo about being a furry?
« on: May 25, 2017, 12:24:08 pm »
I've hinted to a few people that I'm a furry, and those that understood what a furry was, sort of moved away from me. I understand that yiff is out there, but from what I've seen, the majority of the fandom is fairly clean. You don't have to tell me my point of view is innocent, but I just don't get it.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pride Flag - omnisexual
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His

GIFs are the property of their respective owners.

ThisCrush | SoundCloud | AMA/Q&A | Have something to ask me? (Off-site) | ♥ The wonderful young lady, that I love. (click) ♥
ENTJ | Field Marshall | Pagan

Offline Indy

• cheeki breeki
  • Green Level
  • Mince Pies: 30
  • GO AGANE
  • Fursona Species: Cat
Re: What is so taboo about being a furry?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 01:04:30 pm »
There's really nothing wrong with being a furry, people just are fearful of people that aren't like them. Or some people might think it is "gross" because of all the nsfw art, but let's be honest, its the internet. Nsfw art is unavoidable. As gross at it may be, all fandoms have it. But does a bit of gross art make the entire fandom bad?
  • Flag - usa
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pronouns: He/Him
"He is rebuked by the vulgar, who consider him mad and do not know he is inspired." -Plato

#BostonUp | Weeb |  :pawheart:  | History Nerd | INTP

Offline Mystic

• Gay moo
  • Administrator
  • Mince Pies: 870
  • All I want for Christmas is you
    • FurAffinity - MysticSolstice
    • Twitter - MysticSolstice
  • Fursona Species: Cow
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 01:43:51 pm »
People tend to not like this that they don't understand and a lot of people don't understand furries and therefore don't like them. People tend to understand and accept fandoms like the Anime or MLP fandom more because those people are fans of a tv show. Since furries don't have any set media we all love and most of us are creating our own unique characters and are fans of fellow furry characters it's hard for an outsider to understand what we're about
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - lesbian
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
  • Award - Graphic Artist

| ToyHou.se | ThisCrush | Q&A |
Icon by CupcakeCreature | Signature by Nova

Offline Azazel McFloof

• Awroof
  • Red Level
  • Mince Pies: 11
  • The new wuff dragon
    • DeviantArt - AzazelofEsgaroth
    • FurAffinity - AzazelofEsgaroth
    • Weasyl - Azazel McAsinn
  • Fursona Species: Drolf
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 02:30:40 pm »
One thing I've noticed is that many religious groups are against furries, take Catholicism for example. I was a catholic most of my life since I grew up in a catholic family, and still maintained contacts with many people when i left the church. When I started saying I'm a furry many people I knew, actually I would go so far as saying a vast majority as from the fifty or so people I knew 45 of them rejected me for being a furry and another two say they don't like it but they know I'm good as a person since they know me. And the people who rejected me instantly started saying I'm hell spawn and shit like that for wanting to be something other than human, at the time I didn't even think of myself as anything other than human, I just liked the art (though now I definitely can say I would rather be a drolf (dragon-wolf) and in a past life likely was a wolf by visions and memories and stuff). But at the time I hadn't even hinted at these feelings nor did I know they existed. They all instantly thought I wanted to have sex with animals and wanted to be an animal. Even the pastor of my church rejected me and said I was going to hell for even mentioning enjoying the fandom. I've learned over time that strict religions such as Catholicism and many others close the minds of those whithin those religions and make it harder for people to hear what certain things actually stand for. Look at homosexuality for instance. A hundred years ago if someone came out as gay they would be put in prison, a mental hospital, or executed as a sexual deviant. Some religions like Islam still do this. I'm not saying that religion is the full problem but I believe it is at least a small part.
  • Flag - usa
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
Bork Bork rawr

Please pet me :D
https://please.pet/aza

Offline KipKap

• Yeeter skeeter
  • Purple Level
  • Mince Pies: 189
  • Icon by BerryCake_050
    • DeviantArt - KipekeeReddington
    • FurAffinity - FoxdogExpress
  • Fursona Species: Winged Foxdog
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 05:08:49 pm »
There's nothing wrong with furries at all. None, zero. It's just the way the internet portrays us that furries get such a bad rep. Besides all the NSFW content, people often make fun of furries for being "cringy" for Roleplaying, suiting, "being too friendly", and etc. People could also see it as childish (I personally don't think it is) so that's another reason why. I don't agree with any if them but that's what I've seen.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Flag - usa
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: She/her
Fursonas: Kipekee Reddington, Tabby Von Star, Dani Tracy, & Bahari Maua
ENFP-T / 4w3 / Lawful Good Druid / Hufflepuff / Pukwudgie

Art Dump | Literature Thread | Toyhouse | ThisCrush |
Sarahah | Trello

Offline Undertaker

• "Do you want to see how it feels to sleep in my custom-made coffins?"
  • Purple Level
  • Mince Pies: 91
  • "How sad it would be, should laughter disappear."
    • DeviantArt - BluefoxLongtail
    • FurAffinity - sprite-limehead
  • Fursona Species: Retired Shinigami
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 10:02:08 pm »
One thing I've noticed is that many religious groups are against furries, take Catholicism for example. I was a catholic most of my life since I grew up in a catholic family, and still maintained contacts with many people when i left the church. When I started saying I'm a furry many people I knew, actually I would go so far as saying a vast majority as from the fifty or so people I knew 45 of them rejected me for being a furry and another two say they don't like it but they know I'm good as a person since they know me. And the people who rejected me instantly started saying I'm hell spawn and shit like that for wanting to be something other than human, at the time I didn't even think of myself as anything other than human, I just liked the art (though now I definitely can say I would rather be a drolf (dragon-wolf) and in a past life likely was a wolf by visions and memories and stuff). But at the time I hadn't even hinted at these feelings nor did I know they existed. They all instantly thought I wanted to have sex with animals and wanted to be an animal. Even the pastor of my church rejected me and said I was going to hell for even mentioning enjoying the fandom. I've learned over time that strict religions such as Catholicism and many others close the minds of those whithin those religions and make it harder for people to hear what certain things actually stand for. Look at homosexuality for instance. A hundred years ago if someone came out as gay they would be put in prison, a mental hospital, or executed as a sexual deviant. Some religions like Islam still do this. I'm not saying that religion is the full problem but I believe it is at least a small part.
I never liked Catholicism. That does not mean I don't like you. I most of the time am sort of sensitive at people saying things like "Islam hates furries, homosexuals, et cetera.", because in most cases it's taken to far, but all religions are like this. After giving this some thought, I realized that I would rather become my fursona, a folf (fox-wolf), if I had the chance as well, but (I'm known to ramble) my main point is thank you. By the way if this hard to understand (I wrote it by pouring my thoughts into it at random), PM me.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pride Flag - omnisexual

GIFs are the property of their respective owners.

ThisCrush | SoundCloud | AMA/Q&A | Have something to ask me? (Off-site) | ♥ The wonderful young lady, that I love. (click) ♥
ENTJ | Field Marshall | Pagan