Author Topic: Computer Upgrade  (Read 129 times)

Offline Flimsy Fox

• Orange Level
  • Candies: 5
    • DeviantArt - FlimsyFox
  • Fursona Species: Red Fox
Computer Upgrade
« on: May 28, 2017, 01:05:17 pm »
So I have an a4 7300 CPU. I can't afford to get a Ryzen 1400 because that would mean I would have to buy a new motherboard and DDR4 RAM. I also have an R7 250 graphics card. I also currently have a 1 Terabyte hard drive, although almost only a tenth of it is being used. Over the summer I plan to upgrade to an SSD, a GTX 1050, and an AMD Athlon X4 860K(Not as good as a Ryzen 1400, but 10 times better than the CPU I have right now). However, I don't think I'll be able to make enough money over the summer to upgrade everything I want upgraded, being not old enough for a real job and stuff like that. So, here comes my question: Should I buy the 860K, GTX 1050, or the SSD first?
  • Flag - usa
  • Pronouns: He/him/his

"once you discover one simple fact, and that is everything around you that you call life was made up by people that were no smarter than you, and you can change it, you can influence it, you can build your own things that other people can use. once you learn that, you'll never be the same again." -Steve Jobs

Offline Applefolf

• We had to steal him from his fate
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 299
  • So he could see another day
    • Twitter - Applefolf
Re: Computer Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2017, 01:12:58 pm »
If I were you I'd upgrade your GPU first, it's quite far behind your CPU.

Upgrading your CPU first will see no performance increase or maybe only a little, due to bottlenecking.

An SSD is always a solid choice, but since you've barely filled up your HDD I don't really see the point especially when your current GPU is so lacking.
  • Flag - england
  • Site Donor
~All the hate that you've heard has turned your spirit to a dove~
~ Twitter ~ Steam ~

Offline Undertaker

• "Do you want to see how it feels to sleep in my custom-made coffins?"
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 80
  • "How sad it would be, should laughter disappear."
    • DeviantArt - BluefoxLongtail
    • FurAffinity - sprite-limehead
  • Fursona Species: Retired Shinigami
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2017, 02:35:15 pm »
GPU first because it's outdated.

CPU then because it's important.

Then the SSD because do you really need one? You can get an HDD cheaper, if your really need to replace it. Plus HDDs last forever. Some commodore hard disk are still functioning.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pride Flag - omnisexual
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His

GIFs are the property of their respective owners.

ThisCrush | SoundCloud | AMA/Q&A | Have something to ask me? (Off-site)
ENTJ | Field Marshall | ♥ The wonderful young lady, that I love. (click) ♥

Offline Addy

• Orange Level
  • I don't know what I'm doing
    • Twitter - @_addycat
  • Fursona Species: Kitty
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2017, 09:45:42 pm »
As others have said, GPU first, then either CPU or SSD. Coming from low end computers to a 2015 rMBP with an SSD, I am now a firm believer in SSDs lol. I'd do either CPU or SSD after GPU, depending on what's cheaper.
  • Pride Flag - gay
PM me I like meeting people. Or don't. I don't care.
Follow me on the Twitters

Offline Flimsy Fox

• Orange Level
    • DeviantArt - FlimsyFox
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 07:00:16 pm »

Then the SSD because do you really need one? You can get an HDD cheaper, if your really need to replace it. Plus HDDs last forever. Some commodore hard disk are still functioning.

My HDD goe to 100 percent usage a lot, but I guess it doesn't affect the performance of my games so I think it'll be fine.
  • Flag - usa

"once you discover one simple fact, and that is everything around you that you call life was made up by people that were no smarter than you, and you can change it, you can influence it, you can build your own things that other people can use. once you learn that, you'll never be the same again." -Steve Jobs

Offline Addy

• Orange Level
  • I don't know what I'm doing
    • Twitter - @_addycat
  • Fursona Species: Kitty
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2017, 07:31:37 pm »

My HDD goe to 100 percent usage a lot, but I guess it doesn't affect the performance of my games so I think it'll be fine.
All that means is that the hard drive is reading and writing at it's max speed. It doesn't mean it's bad. An SSD would do the same.
  • Pride Flag - gay
PM me I like meeting people. Or don't. I don't care.
Follow me on the Twitters

Offline Flimsy Fox

• Orange Level
    • DeviantArt - FlimsyFox
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2017, 09:47:01 am »
Thanks for the advice everyone! I think I'm going to choose to upgrade my GPU first!
  • Flag - usa