Author Topic: BIOS Won't Post...Help?  (Read 327 times)

Offline Flimsy Fox

• Orange Level
  • Candies: 5
    • DeviantArt - FlimsyFox
  • Fursona Species: Red Fox
Re: BIOS Won't Post...Help?
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2017, 01:01:48 pm »
Not according to my knowledge. You have to boot with the motherboard being updated, and update it by booting from a disk. But as I mentioned my knowledge is horribly old, so I very well could be wrong.

How would I change the boot device if it doesn't POST? And can it still boot into a USB stick or a floppy drive if it doesn't POST? Also, I really don't know what to do. What do you think I should try first?
It will run the main priority. You can't change boot order if you can't get into system settings. On older systems it was Floppy A, Floppy B, Hard Disk C, D Drive (if it exists), ODD, USB (if it could boot from USB).

Ok. The motherboard website said that you had to press the END key to go into the update window. Should I get a PS/2 keyboard and try it out? However, my motherboard did not seem to activate the speaker attached to it on the board. Do you think that could be a sign of a bad motherboard? The internal speaker is from an old motherboard, but I never used it because I never needed it until now.
Could be. I don't know what type of speaker it is, but try flipping the connection around. If the speaker still doesn't activate there's a good chance you have a bad motherboard. But then again a speaker is an auxiliary component, and it could just mean it's caught at the CPU when loading. The only way to properly test the EnD key command is using a PS/2 keyboard. To my knowledge USB won't work. So you're down to very limited things that it can be. CPU, BIOS chip (which is on the motherboard), or motherboard.

Thanks for the support! I have contacted Gigabyte, and I've got support from them also. I'll let you know when I solve the problem.
  • Flag - usa
  • Pronouns: He/him/his

"once you discover one simple fact, and that is everything around you that you call life was made up by people that were no smarter than you, and you can change it, you can influence it, you can build your own things that other people can use. once you learn that, you'll never be the same again." -Steve Jobs

Offline Flimsy Fox

• Orange Level
  • Candies: 5
    • DeviantArt - FlimsyFox
  • Fursona Species: Red Fox
Re: BIOS Won't Post...Help?
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2017, 11:08:13 pm »
Not according to my knowledge. You have to boot with the motherboard being updated, and update it by booting from a disk. But as I mentioned my knowledge is horribly old, so I very well could be wrong.

How would I change the boot device if it doesn't POST? And can it still boot into a USB stick or a floppy drive if it doesn't POST? Also, I really don't know what to do. What do you think I should try first?
It will run the main priority. You can't change boot order if you can't get into system settings. On older systems it was Floppy A, Floppy B, Hard Disk C, D Drive (if it exists), ODD, USB (if it could boot from USB).

Ok. The motherboard website said that you had to press the END key to go into the update window. Should I get a PS/2 keyboard and try it out? However, my motherboard did not seem to activate the speaker attached to it on the board. Do you think that could be a sign of a bad motherboard? The internal speaker is from an old motherboard, but I never used it because I never needed it until now.
Could be. I don't know what type of speaker it is, but try flipping the connection around. If the speaker still doesn't activate there's a good chance you have a bad motherboard. But then again a speaker is an auxiliary component, and it could just mean it's caught at the CPU when loading. The only way to properly test the EnD key command is using a PS/2 keyboard. To my knowledge USB won't work. So you're down to very limited things that it can be. CPU, BIOS chip (which is on the motherboard), or motherboard.

Ok so a LOT has happened. While waiting to get another motherboard, the forum website said they didn't have any problems. I sold my old graphics card, CPU, motherboard, and RAM, which brought me to about 200 dollars. I got my motherboard back, and sure enough, it was the same one. I tested it just to make sure, and I got the same problem. At about the same time, my friend offered me some case fans at school, and I accepted them. Also around the same time, I found out that my RAM was not supported by motherboard(It's literally the cheapest I could find). I then ordered some new RAM(The 2x4 gig C16 2666mhz kit from Corsair). I asked my friend for some screws for my case fans, because I didn't have any. He said he would as soon as he found some. Then, right around Thursday(I think; SOOOO much has happened, it's hard to keep track of everything), I ordered my new graphics card(The RX 560), some case fan screws(Because my friend hasn't found any yet), and some cable ties(For cable management). Literally the next day, my friend comes to me with some case fan screws he found, so I store them in my locker to pick up after school. And then TODAY, I got my RAM. I was like, HYPE, cause I could finally use my computer at amazing 60FPS all the time(At that time I had thought my motherboard had on-board graphics). I put it together, got a single beep indicating that everything was OK, but I got no video. I was searching online, then I realized, "Hey, I gotta double check to see if the motherboard has on-board graphics," and sure enough, the website didn't say anything about integrated graphics. So, YES. IT FINALLY WORKS!!! YES!!!! But I will have to wait for about 2 weeks for my RX 560 to arrive, so I can use it.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 08:02:52 pm by Flimsy Fox »
  • Flag - usa
  • Pronouns: He/him/his

"once you discover one simple fact, and that is everything around you that you call life was made up by people that were no smarter than you, and you can change it, you can influence it, you can build your own things that other people can use. once you learn that, you'll never be the same again." -Steve Jobs