Author Topic: Plecostomus Thread  (Read 242 times)

Offline Undertaker

• "Do you want to see how it feels to sleep in my custom-made coffins?"
  • Purple Level
  • Cookies: 87
  • "How sad it would be, should laughter disappear."
    • DeviantArt - BluefoxLongtail
    • FurAffinity - sprite-limehead
  • Fursona Species: Retired Shinigami
Plecostomus Thread
« on: June 19, 2017, 12:38:12 pm »
Okay, plecostomi don't do well on their own. They have to have at least a few other fish, to help the waste cycle, since they eat algae and other waste eating plants. But that doesn't change the fact that they're some the coolest fish to just sit and watch. They blink, they can breath out of water for an indefinite period (I should know. Mine got out of the tank, and was alive for what could have been up to 2 hours.), and they are catfish. We've 3 plecos in our house. We had a fourth but it died recently.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pride Flag - omnisexual
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His

GIFs are the property of their respective owners.

ThisCrush | SoundCloud | AMA/Q&A | Have something to ask me? (Off-site) | ♥ The wonderful young lady, that I love. (click) ♥
ENTJ | Field Marshall | Pagan

Online BerryCake550

• Stock Image Smuggler
  • Blue Level
  • Cookies: 128
  • chocolate macandeeum
  • Fursona Species: Hairless Chihuahua
Re: Plecostomus Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 12:45:57 pm »
Plecos are awesome! Really amazing fish, but some do get big and I feel like people ignore that..

Nonetheless they're really cute and interesting
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - androgynous
  • Pride Flag - genderqueer
"I never set out to be weird, it was always other people who called me weird" - Frank Zappa

:shrimp:

Offline Undertaker

• Purple Level
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 12:47:35 pm »
Plecos are awesome! Really amazing fish, but some do get big and I feel like people ignore that..

The fact that they can get up to 4-5 feet long, makes them even more cool. At our house, we've a couple that are about half a foot in length, and one that is about 11" in length. The one that died was exactly one foot long.
  • Award - Beta Tester

ThisCrush | SoundCloud | AMA/Q&A | Have something to ask me? (Off-site) | ♥ The wonderful young lady, that I love. (click) ♥

Online BerryCake550

• Stock Image Smuggler
  • Blue Level
  • chocolate macandeeum
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 12:51:20 pm »

The fact that they can get up to 4-5 feet long, makes them even more cool. At our house, we've a couple that are about half a foot in length, and one that is about 11" in length. The one that died was exactly one foot long.
Plecos are pretty popular with fish hobbyists/keepers, great for the clean-up crew and do pretty well in a community tank

What kind of pleco do you have?
"I never set out to be weird, it was always other people who called me weird" - Frank Zappa

Offline Undertaker

• Purple Level
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 12:53:34 pm »

Plecos are pretty popular with fish hobbyists/keepers, great for the clean-up crew and do pretty well in a community tank

A common, a bottlenose, and a speckled. The one that's dead, was an albino, and he was cool.
  • Award - Beta Tester

Online BerryCake550

• Stock Image Smuggler
  • Blue Level
  • chocolate macandeeum
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 12:56:06 pm »

A common, a bottlenose, and a speckled. The one that's dead, was an albino, and he was cool.
Nice, don't keep fish myself but was planning on getting a Betta + Pleco

How long did they live for? Guessing you have a pond?

Offline Undertaker

• Purple Level
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 01:04:26 pm »

Nice, don't keep fish myself but was planning on getting a Betta + Pleco

How long did they live for? Guessing you have a pond?
Nope. No pond. Tanks. Two 10 gallons and a 17 year old 55 gallon. And as far as life goes. I've never managed to keep one alive for more than six years, but I have a relative that has a huge two foot one in a tower tank. That pleco has been alive for 20 years. Some plecos in the Amazon have been reported to have lived for over 60 years. They live quite long if you can take care if them. But never ever put a pleco with a goldfish. They just won't survive. And also bettas are very aggressive, it may attack a pleco.
  • Award - Beta Tester

Online Red Velvet

• Cake Dragon
  • Sitewide Moderator
  • Cookies: 273
  • It's peppermint season!
    • FurAffinity - SenseiMac
    • Twitter - redvelvetdrago
    • Personal Tumblr
  • Fursona Species: Dutch Angel Dragon
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 07:47:09 pm »
Bettas and plecos get along just fine; bettas and most semi aggressive tropical fish get along, just don't ever put two bettas (of either sex) together! But plecos and bettas swim at different levels anyway and don't bother each other, so if it's a proper tank with filtration and hiding places (and is at LEAST 10 gal) then you should be fine!

I have four plecos across all my tanks, a bristlenose, a rubberlip, a tiger, and a clown! All are quite sweet; my largest is about 8" right now.

Edit: I recommend a clown pleco, if you've got a smaller tank. They max out around 4" usually
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 07:51:08 pm by Red Velvet »
  • Flag - usa
  • Award - Holiday Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - demisexual
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Trello | Portfolio | FurAffinity | Buy Me a Coffee? | ToyHouse | Dragons | Flight Rising
♥ Hopelessly in love with Proto
:aesthetic:
If you'd like to commission me, please click my Trello!

Offline Dolly

• Blue Level
  • Cookies: 79
  • King Thranduil is coolest
    • FurAffinity - zazanga
  • Fursona Species: Rabbit
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2017, 01:43:20 am »
Edit: I recommend a clown pleco, if you've got a smaller tank. They max out around 4" usually

We had a clown pleco for a while, and he was very small!

I would also recommend bristlenose plecos, they get to be about 6". We named ours Benny, though he had a bit of a problem cleaning up our 125 gallon fish tank on his own. Most albino places are also bristlenose, but it's good to double check.

edit: chnaged 6' to 6"  :fox-:P:
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 01:24:34 pm by Dolly »
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
pet me please                                   ENFP

Offline Undertaker

• Purple Level
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2017, 12:03:03 pm »
I figured I'd point out, it's impossible for a pleco to "max out" in size. They continue growing as long as there are things to keep them growing. That's why some can get 4-5 feet long. Also their lifespan has no identifiable maximum because plecos of the same species in a tank have been found to live, easily 6 times longer in the wild.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 12:05:30 pm by Sprite Limehead »
  • Award - Beta Tester