Author Topic: Discussion Opener: does Spyro the Dragon 'count' as a furry video game series?  (Read 106 times)

Offline nightcoremoon

• Red Level
  • Cookies: 2
  • 4 8 15 16 23 42
  • Fursona Species: Stoat/Ermine
Just a random question that I thought would be interesting to pose to the community for a chill discussion about a series I enjoy.

Though the main characters in the Spyro series are quadrupedal dragons (which are reptilian anyway), there are many side characters and races who are anthropomorphic mammalian bipedals, such as Hunter (cheetah), Moneybags (bear), Elora (faun), Bianca (rabbit), and the Professor (mole). The question could also be asked of the Jak & Daxter series, considering that Daxter, Tess, and the Precursors are the only ottsels that appear amongst the entire rest of the cast of human[oid]s. Also, if one were reaching, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic has Discord, Spike (and Ember and Garble and hundreds of unnamed dragons), Iron Will, potentially other races in the comics [I'm a bit behind, eheh...], and arguably the Equestria Girls universe. If I were being pedantic (which luckily for you all, I am) I'd also list Pokemon (because of Lucario and a few others), Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Legend of Zelda (because of the Zora and the Rito), Super Mario (because of Donkey Kong), and Guardians of the Galaxy (because of Rocket).

My question is, would these listed series technically be able to be put on lists alongside Ratchet and Clank, Starfox, Sly Cooper, Crash Bandicoot, Banjo Kazooie, Sonic the Hedgehog, World of Warcraft, Undertale, Dust: an Elysian Tail, TwoKinds, Mickey Mouse, Ducktales, Goof Troop, Zootopia, Robin Hood (you know, Disney sure does have a lot of furry series...), Kung Fu Panda, Thundercats, Bojack Horseman, et cetera? Or are they simply series that happen to have furry characters in them? And... discuss :P
  • Flag - usa
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers or They/Them/Theirs

Offline flurrin

• Purple Level
  • Cookies: 130
  • sushi dog
I would personally count everything as furry (well maybe not zelda though). These would all qualify for nomination in the ursa major awards anyways though it is pretty broad in what is accepted as anthro.
  • Flag - britain
  • Award - Holiday Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - androgynous
  • Pronouns: any
profile pic by ShopePapilloma

Offline Izzy the Foxdeer

• Signature hearts by Jasper/Coffee
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 53
  • icon by I.S.A.C.
    • DeviantArt - multifandomed25
    • Twitter - multifandomed25
    • Tumblr
  • Fursona Species: Grey fox/reindeer hybrid
I guess they're all technically furry, sense they have anthromorphic animals in them.
  • Flag - usa
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - pansexual
  • Pride Flag - demigirl
  • Pronouns: She/her they/them
worlds most pan-tastic demigirl and maybe otherkin
check out my tumblr | confess love here | pet me please?

Offline TodTheFox

• Licensed Lazy Loiterer
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 49
  • Fursona Species: Red Fox
(Shouldn't this be in Debate and Discussion?)

This question is a difficult one to answer because there isn't quite a right or wrong answer. When it comes down to it more or less comes down to any individuals personal criteria for what makes a particular work count as "Furry". Bottom line, it boils down to whether you consider a work to be Furry simply because it contains Anthropomorphic characters or consider a work to be Furry only when it was created by Furries, people who associate with the fandom, or when it openly labeled as such by the creator. As I said before I don't personally believe there is a wrong answer to this question because your answer is more or less derived from what you define as "A Furry work", and definitions are largely subjective.

But as for my own preference, I use the later because people don't tend to appreciate being labeled or having their works labeled. Knowing people, if you called something "Furry" because it contains anthro characters there is going to be someone out there who then thinks the creators is a Furry and proceeds to label both the creator and the work. Additionally, I have no doubt there will be creators who don't like having their work labeled as Furry just because it contains Anthro Characters. Not everyone who likes Anthro characters and makes Media containing them gets along well with the Fandom and just as well not everyone who creates works containing Anthro characters is Furries or are doing so to appeal to Furries. For example, the Game Antilla contains Anthro characters and only Anthro's, but the game's creators are not Furries (to my understanding) and they confirmed in a live stream they created the Anthro Species hoping to make their world seem distinct from Earth. So for me it's just easier not to label any work as a Furry work unless I know the creator well and they are doing so on their own. Just easier for me to dodge potential unnecessary drama that way. So in a choice where it comes down to personal preference I just went with that seemed like the most logical choice of not causing problems for other people.

• Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His